Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Katz blogs on MU  (Read 3542 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Katz blogs on MU
« on: January 06, 2010, 11:55:50 AM »
Marquette should be considered one of the hardest-working teams in the country. Of course, every coach usually thinks his team plays hard. But the Golden Eagles clearly aren't as talented as Villanova or West Virginia, yet went down to the final possession with a chance to win each game.

So what does Marquette coach Buzz Williams do to get these players to overachieve?

"Everything in practice is competitive," said Marquette assistant Tony Benford. "We compete in every drill. He puts them in a position to do that, whether it's 4-on-4, 3-on-3, 2-on-2 or 1-on-2. We keep score every time."

Dwight Buycks had a chance to beat Villanova, but missed a bucket in close to the basket. Of course, the Golden Eagles couldn't stop the fantastic plays made by Nova's Scottie Reynolds and West Virginia's Da'Sean Butler to put their teams ahead in the last two games.

Marquette hosts Georgetown Wednesday in a game the Golden Eagles must win to start building an NCAA case. The Golden Eagles did beat Xavier and Michigan in Orlando, but it's unclear how much those wins will matter in March. Marquette has already missed chances by losing to Florida State in the final of that event, falling to NC State at home, losing at Wisconsin and starting 0-2 in the Big East.

If the Eagles can find a way to go 3-3 in the first six league games (that's Georgetown, at Villanova, Providence, at DePaul), they'll at least be in position to make a run. But every game is going to be a grind, in large part because of the way Williams coaches this squad.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Katz blogs on MU
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 12:32:28 PM »
I have seen enough to think they can compete...for a while anyway. It seems as if they will probably be pretty worn out at the end of the year when the schedule would otherwise give them a shot to stack up a few wins.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »
Pure speculation in regards to being worn out.  Hopefully we can start giving some minutes to Erik Williams and Mbao.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 02:06:46 PM »
This article brought 2 things to mind.

1) Despite all the criticism, warranted or not, about Katz from MU fans during the whole Crean era, he has been quite complimentary and fair to MU as of late.  And as arguably ESPN's head college bball writer, the attention is more than welcome.

Which brings me to my next point,
2) I like that even in a "down" or "rebuilding" year, we are still spoken about on the national scene and in a positive manner.  That is most definitely encouraging.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »
I have but one question for the "Dish":  are you wagering on this game and who?

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:57 PM »
Definitely agree that it is nice to get Andy's attention at this point in the season.   The performances so far have impressed people.   We will have to start winning to keep the attention going and ensure we do not lose to DePaul, USF, St.Johns, Rutgers or Providence.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 02:54:47 PM »
This article brought 2 things to mind.

1) Despite all the criticism, warranted or not, about Katz from MU fans during the whole Crean era, he has been quite complimentary and fair to MU as of late.  And as arguably ESPN's head college bball writer, the attention is more than welcome.

Which brings me to my next point,
2) I like that even in a "down" or "rebuilding" year, we are still spoken about on the national scene and in a positive manner.  That is most definitely encouraging.

I think Bilas and Freschilla (sp?) might have something to say about Katz being the head writers for college hoops...

I just think Katz states the obvious... do I like the press?  of course.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 02:58:15 PM »
Katz is absolutley the head college basketball writer for ESPN.  Bilas and Fraschilla are commentators/announcers who write articles as well.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 03:04:18 PM »
Katz is absolutley the head college basketball writer for ESPN.  Bilas and Fraschilla are commentators/announcers who write articles as well.

yeah probably, the key word here I guess was writer. :)

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »
I have but one question for the "Dish":  are you wagering on this game and who?

I'm staying away. MU is currently -2 everywhere I can find them. The way MU has been having close calls lately would probably make me play Georgetown if I had to.

Not that it matters, but a couple of dogs I like tonight are Iowa St +13 and Cornell +21.5. He who gambles lives in shambles though.  :P

mug644

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 04:13:22 PM »
I think the one insightful thing that Katz says is that MU might be poised to have a strong showing in the BEast if they can be 3-3 after the first six games. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it seems important. Not easily done, but possible and would be a good sign for what might happen once the schedule gets a bit easier.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »
Dwight Buycks had a chance to beat Villanova, but missed a bucket in close to the basket.

Doesn't he mean Jimmy Butler?

miamiflashfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »
Doesn't he mean Jimmy Butler?

I was thinking the same thing.  DB missed the "shot" at half-court to end the game, which is probably why he mixed the two up.

feedback