Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: End of game play  (Read 4456 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
End of game play
« on: January 03, 2010, 08:54:37 AM »
Does Buzz prepare the team for end of game situations?  I know a lot can change and you don't have much time with 2.5 seconds, but it seems like if there is not time to think, than the team should be prepared to react instantaneously.  We looked pitiful the last two games with 2.5 seconds.  First the meaningless heave by Coobey against WVU and now Buycks dribbling into three defenders. 

The Pickle

• Team Captain
Re: End of game play
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
I think it's pretty tough to have a "go to play" that allows you to get off a decent shot in 2.5 seconds when you have to go to the other end of the court.  Those plays (e.g. Christian Laettner) don't often work and require a lot of luck.  That being said, I thought the announcers said something about how after the loss at WV Buzz spent 45 minutes at each practice working on specific game situations.  I think the key is to not be down 1-2 points with 2 seconds left.  Tough loss...again.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »
I am certain Buzz does not practice end of the game situations.

Good grief.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:21:30 AM »
I'd like to know .. in the past ~5 years, how many times has MU been down by 2-3 points, with the ball, with <10 seconds to go .. and how many of those times did we even get off a shot?

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:30:15 AM »
I'd like to know .. in the past ~5 years, how many times has MU been down by 2-3 points, with the ball, with <10 seconds to go .. and how many of those times did we even get off a shot?

It is a good question.  It would seem too many times we have not.  I remember Jerel's game winner against South Florida (I believe we were down by 1 which technically is not part of your question).  I also remember Novak's winner against Notre Dame.

Other than that, it would seem a lot of games without even getting a shot off.

Edit: also D James winner against Valpo
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:36:33 AM by MarquetteDano »

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »
It is a good question.  It would seem too many times we have not.  I remember Jerel's game winner against South Florida (I believe we were down by 1 which technically is not part of your question).  I also remember Novak's winner against Notre Dame.

Other than that, it would seem a lot of games without even getting a shot off.

Edit: also D James winner against Valpo

Don't forget DJ vs. NC State in 2008
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
NC State last year, DJ got off a shot for a last second win.

ondo10

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 11:45:38 AM »
Does Buzz prepare the team for end of game situations?  I know a lot can change and you don't have much time with 2.5 seconds, but it seems like if there is not time to think, than the team should be prepared to react instantaneously.  We looked pitiful the last two games with 2.5 seconds.  First the meaningless heave by Coobey against WVU and now Buycks dribbling into three defenders. 

Every team typically practices both half court and full court plays based on 3 seconds.  The play MU ran to Buycks is common, only Buycks really should have taken one dribble and then riffled a pass to either Cooby or Acker on the wings for the shot. 

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 12:02:34 PM »
Every team typically practices both half court and full court plays based on 3 seconds.  The play MU ran to Buycks is common, only Buycks really should have taken one dribble and then riffled a pass to either Cooby or Acker on the wings for the shot. 

After watching that play, I am fairly certain the play was designed for Buycks to get the ball back to Hayward for a half-court uncontested shot, but Buycks decided not to risk the pass as Hayward's defender was too close for a comfortable pass.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Youth and/or inexperience certainly shows up in this situation this year.  Need to learn how to win.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 12:13:33 PM »

After watching that play, I am fairly certain the play was designed for Buycks to get the ball back to Hayward for a half-court uncontested shot, but Buycks decided not to risk the pass as Hayward's defender was too close for a comfortable pass.

I think he was supposed to give back as well. SportsCenter had a good angle of the play but Lazar was defended well.
But I like to throw handfuls...

romey

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 09:09:41 PM »
I have a question that I hope doesn't come across as stupid - When we got the rebound there were over three seconds left.  Watch the replay in slow motion if any of you have the game dvr'd.  We immediately called time out.  Am I mistaken, or couldn't Buzz have approached the referee before the shot and said, "on the missed free throw, if we get the rebound we want an immediate time out."  And if not, wouldn't the refs be looking for taht and could they not have put time back on the clock after checking the replay?  Another half second 9or more) actually) would have been huge.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:45 PM »
The last homegame before Nova, with about 3 seconds left in the half, we got the ball, Buzz called a time out, and that's the play where Cubie threw Butler a long pass, he scroed and was fouled and got the extra point.  3 points in 3 seconds, so, I kinda think Buzz thinks about these things and practices them a bit :)

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
re: last second wins...Dameon Mason over Louisville at home. Year after final four. That and Novak over ND is what I remember most.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 10:30:18 PM »
Didn't Wardle hit one to beat Louisville his freshman year?

Or was it more than once?

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 10:50:01 PM »
Always liked Wardle's ice-in-the-veins performance. From the wiki, Wardle started his MU career off in style, hitting some big shots.

On Wardle...
Hit a three-pointer to send the NIT second-round game against Auburn (March 16) into overtime … Had 12 points and five rebounds in that game … Had 11 points and six rebounds in 37 minutes against UNC Charlotte (March 5) … Scored 15 first-half points against UNC Charlotte (Feb. 12), the most points by a Golden Eagle of any first half on the season … Led Marquette with 18 points and finished with seven rebounds against Saint Louis (Jan. 24) … Was 13-16 from the free throw line in that game, both were season highs among the Golden Eagles … Made his first career start against Boston College (Jan. 17) … Hit the game-winning three-pointer as time expired at Louisville (Jan. 3) …

We could use Wardle-like shooting at the line now. He had a 16-16 game from the line and a bunch of 13-16s and the like.

Shouldn't that guy be an assistant coach here vs UWGB?

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:30 AM »

I don't think at 2.8 seconds you had enough time to get the extra pass off for an open shot.  Buycks needed to take the shot on the run after that 1st dribble; granted it was about a 35 foot or so look, but it was a straight-on look. I thought it was a fairly well-drawn play, since realistically the only way you were to get a shot in that situation is off motion.  Didn't notice Hayward trailing on the replay, though, so I do need to check that out again.

For those of you who want to dig way deep into the memory bank, we ran a very similar play to this at the end of the Marquette-Louisville game in 2003.  Diener came off a half-court screen and got loose in the frontcourt, and dished off to Novak, who got a contested 3 (which he missed) over Francisco Garcia.  We were able to make an extra pass in that situation, though, since there were 5 or so seconds left on the clock as opposed to about 3.

The General has taken on a new command.

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 12:20:29 PM »
I agree, Buycks had the ball straight on to the basket and could have pulled up at about 35 ft for an uncontested shot which he probably makes 30% of the time.   He dribbled too far and even if he got the shot up, it would have been after the buzzer.   Refs are not going to call fouls in that situation if that is what he was hoping to achieve.  I think you take the shot.  As many have posted before, we tend to not even get the shot off and that as Al would say is a Mortal Sin.

feedback