Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by MUDPT
[Today at 07:05:44 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ESPN Sportsnation Poll  (Read 2326 times)

AlpineWarrior

• Walk-On
ESPN Sportsnation Poll
« on: February 09, 2007, 12:47:19 AM »
There is a Sportsnation Poll on ESPN.com in response to the Mock Bracket that Andy Katz and Pat Forde participated in.

The last question is of particular interest. Of 190,000 responses to the question of who will win the NCAA Final Four Marquette was the fourth highest response. The only schools picked more often are Florida, Texas A&M and Memphis. Picked less than MU are Wisconsin, UNC and UCLA.

I guess the point is: There are a lot of people across the nation that are picking MU as their darkhorse not only to be a Final Four team but also to win the tournament.

Here is the link:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2777

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: ESPN Sportsnation Poll
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 01:31:25 AM »
Hmmm, the buzz is getting louder.  Hard to be the darkhorse with those numbers.

Funny thing is, I don't think there's a single fan here (ok, maybe there's one or two) that actually expects Marquette to make the final four this year, let alone win the whole thing.

Sure, anything can happen, and we've shown we can play up to anyone's level.  I'd certainly take it, and know that it's a possibility, but that's not my expectation.  I kind of expect a sweet 16 at this point, but that's easier said than done too!

Edit:
I just did the poll, and while we are 4th, the top 3 are really getting all the votes - only 3% are saying Marquette
45.2%   Texas A&M
24.9%   Memphis
21.7%   Florida
3.0%   Marquette
1.6%   Wisconsin
0.9%   North Carolina

This link should take you to the current results
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/polling?event_id=2777&action=1
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:37:44 AM by rocky_warrior »

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:53:51 AM »
Now down to 2.2% and #5 (UNC leapfrogged us) with around 307k votes

regardless, if you listen you can hear chanting going on in the world-wide din.... it seems the 1/50th of the world has started to become warrior fans chanting "WE ARE MARQUETTE!".   ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 03:12:28 PM »
i love seeing that butler is a spot up on duke. hahahahah

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 03:21:31 PM »
I am really suprised about all the love for Texas A&M, figure Florida, UCLA and UNC would get more.  Don't get me wrong, I think A&M is a very good good team, but the average college basketball fan that does these polls would not pick them
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
I am really suprised about all the love for Texas A&M, figure Florida, UCLA and UNC would get more.  Don't get me wrong, I think A&M is a very good good team, but the average college basketball fan that does these polls would not pick them

Texas A&M has the most rabid (and annoying fans) around down here in texas... they are fanatical about anything Texas A&M sports related.. they're quiet when not doing well but as soon as they get a win they're all out of the woodwork like cockroaches on a discarded peach.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit that if they plotted this geographically, 90% of the votes for Texas A&M came from Texas or a neighboring state and that most "neutral states" voted more reasonably.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »

Texas A&M has the most rabid (and annoying fans) around down here in texas... they are fanatical about anything Texas A&M sports related.. they're quiet when not doing well but as soon as they get a win they're all out of the woodwork like cockroaches on a discarded peach.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit that if they plotted this geographically, 90% of the votes for Texas A&M came from Texas or a neighboring state and that most "neutral states" voted more reasonably.

Sounds like Bucky fans... one sports poll before there loss to Indiana, asked "Who is the best team in the nation", around 90% of Wisconsin picked Wisconsin, yet other than that, it was Florida or UNC.  I guess we all do that a bit (I always think MU should be ranked higher)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

feedback