Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: That dunk was sick  (Read 8751 times)

Mu2323

• Starter
That dunk was sick
« on: December 29, 2009, 06:27:45 PM »
Nothing more just a rediculous dunk

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: That dunk was sick
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:29:01 PM »
Wow!

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:30:27 PM »
edit: wow, nevermind. Just saw the replay. That dunk was indeed sick.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:32:32 PM by mwbauer7 »

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 06:32:01 PM »
lazar stole the ball at mid court and did a tomahawk and 1

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:45:18 PM »
Didn't know Zar had that in his game..took off from middle of paint and threw down.  Too bad Maymon couldn't see how a player can develop in the MU program.  Zar had NO hops as a freshman..Maymon not much either..but with a work ethic and the MU strength/conditioning coach..u see what is possible
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:26:22 PM »
Lazar improved his athleticism greatly at MU,  however,  he would have done the same at any good DI school.  Strength and conditioning isn't exclusive to MU.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
Didn't know Zar had that in his game..took off from middle of paint and threw down.  Too bad Maymon couldn't see how a player can develop in the MU program.  Zar had NO hops as a freshman..Maymon not much either..but with a work ethic and the MU strength/conditioning coach..u see what is possible

Actually, Lazar had hops his freshman year. Remember the putback dunk he had against the Badgers at the BC 12/06?

mug644

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
Nothing more just a rediculous dunk

You mean the dunk by Devin Ebanks to cut the lead to 1 with 16.2 seconds left? Yes, it made me sick.

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »
did it count for 6? Or was it just another 2 points?? who cares

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
did it count for 6? Or was it just another 2 points?? who cares

What an ignorant comment.  Those are the type of plays kids dream of....the type of plays that get MU on the Sportscenter Top Ten, and the type of plays that change momentum. 

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »
ya i agree, it can change momentum...and if he cocked it back and bammed it off the back of the rim and we get no points......Seen that happen numerous times.
Are they playing to get on SportsCenter Top 10?? If they are, they are playing college basketball for the wrong reasons. Personally, I like W's over Top 10 highlight appearances, because in reality, this is a L and an 0-1 and there is no asterick by the L that says *Ya we lost by 1 but at least we made the SportsCenter Top 10*
So again, did we get 6 points for the dunk? Or was it just 2 and we still lost by 1?? I would have rather seen Hayward come up with a defensive stop with 1.8 seconds left than get that dunk.
If you are around the game more than just a casual observer, those dunks aren't that impressive
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 03:07:18 PM by mikeDEANmeminger »

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:11:33 PM »
ya i agree, it can change momentum...and if he cocked it back and bammed it off the back of the rim and we get no points......
Seen that happen numerous times.
So again, did we get 6 points for the dunk? Or was it just 2 and we still lost by 1. I would have rather seen Hayward come up with a defensive stop with 1.8 seconds left than get that dunk.
If you are around the game more than just a casual observer, those dunks aren't that impressive

The guy made a fade away deuce and Lazar played textbook defense on him. Yes we are all casual observers of the game and you know all. I hate when people pinpoint a specific play (Lazar's defense on WV final possession) in an effort to say because of this we lost the game. There are many reasons we lost and they won.

Lazar has not had many dunks like that, and it makes WV fans sit the **** down
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 03:16:52 PM »
ya i agree, it can change momentum...and if he cocked it back and bammed it off the back of the rim and we get no points......Seen that happen numerous times.
Are they playing to get on SportsCenter Top 10?? If they are, they are playing college basketball for the wrong reasons. Personally, I like W's over Top 10 highlight appearances, because in reality, this is a L and an 0-1 and there is no asterick by the L that says *Ya we lost by 1 but at least we made the SportsCenter Top 10*
So again, did we get 6 points for the dunk? Or was it just 2 and we still lost by 1?? I would have rather seen Hayward come up with a defensive stop with 1.8 seconds left than get that dunk.

Obviously we all would trade that dunk for a win.  I don't think there's many casual observers that write on this board.  If you don't think that steal & dunk were impressive, you are a blind observer. 

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »
Well the title of this thread pinpoints a specific play....
I'm just making a point that the dunk that counted for 2 points was as impressive or as unimpressive as every other 2 point basket made throughout the game and it didn't help us any more or any less then any other 2 point basket throughout the game.
Except it was a SportsCenter Top 10 play, so we should get like a 1/2 of win in the standings or something....

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 03:20:23 PM »
Obviously we all would trade that dunk for a win.  I don't think there's many casual observers that write on this board.  If you don't think that steal & dunk were impressive, you are a blind observer. 

That's the kind of play that NBA scouts look at... defensive playmaking, ball handling, body control and a dunk from a foot in front of the line.  It's cool to see MU on the top plays, but more importantly, that's the kind of play that helps us win games and get Lazar the attention he deserves. 

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »
 I was referring to your post not the topic, thats probably why I quoted it...

I would have rather seen Hayward come up with a defensive stop with 1.8 seconds left than get that dunk.

This thread didn't say that we won or lost the game because of Zar's dunk. I posted that one play didn't lose us the game.

That's the kind of play that NBA scouts look at... defensive playmaking, ball handling, body control and a dunk from a foot in front of the line.  It's cool to see MU on the top plays, but more importantly, that's the kind of play that helps us win games and get Lazar the attention he deserves.  

+1

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 03:27:23 PM »
I guess ya'll aren't going to understand... Unless that dunk was the last second game winner, WHO CARES! It was another 2 POINT BASKET and they still lost by 1. Not impressed.
And attention and recognition comes with winning. Lazar can get all the dunks he wants, but if we don't finish in the top half of the conference or better, who gives a sh*t.
O and if they are out there playing for NBA scouts, Buzz has some issues...

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »
I'm just making a point that the dunk that counted for 2 points was as impressive or as unimpressive as every other 2 point basket made throughout the game and it didn't help us any more or any less then any other 2 point basket throughout the game.
Except it was a SportsCenter Top 10 play, so we should get like a 1/2 of win in the standings or something....

Pretty ridiculous to say that because that dunk only counted for 2 points it was no more impressive than any other shot that went in during the game.  That's like saying that you cheer equally during every point of the same value made throughout the game.  If that's true, you're either too boring or too obnoxious to be around for an entire game.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 03:29:48 PM »
Unless that dunk was the last second game winner, WHO CARES!

You cared enough to waste our time.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 03:50:10 PM »
What an ignorant comment.  Those are the type of plays kids dream of....the type of plays that get MU on the Sportscenter Top Ten, and the type of plays that change momentum. 

I dream of Warriors making clutch free throws that win ballgames!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
I guess ya'll aren't going to understand... Unless that dunk was the last second game winner, WHO CARES!

Wow. That was pretty patronizing. Always a good way to get your point across.

I think all plays have more than just a direct impact. Yes, the dunk was only worth two points, but it quieted the crowd, pumped Lazar and the team and put just a hint of doubt into the mind of the defender / ball handler.

There's no way to put value on that.

Maybe the quiet crowd lead to a better defensive stance on the next play, and denied WV points that trip. Maybe that little bit of doubt in the defender's mind made him hesitant to swat the ball, leading to a cleaner pass, and an easier conversion. I'm sure it made that player protect the ball a little more next time up the floor.

There's much more to any single play than just the immediate result.

At worst, maybe that dunk was only good for two points. You can't guarantee me any other shot he could have taken at that point was going to be any better...
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »

actually it ended up netting us 3 points. 

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »
I can't believe anyone would downplay that dunk by Hayward. Point value was 2 but as Utile et Dulce says, it was worth more than that in other ways than the scoreboard. Hayward must be giving the guys hell - or at least I hope he is. He played his friggin heart out last night, put up one hell of an effort and unfortunately for us, WV pulled off the heartbreak win. I feel for Hayward that this is his senior year. After all he's done for this team, I'd love to see him have a year like the amigos did (right up until James' broken foot).

I also can't believe most of these posts are written by Marquette fans. Our guys played really well last night. Yes, that loss was just as heartbreaking as the Syracuse one, the FL State one, the NC State one and all those other last minute losses. But no one thought we could hang with WV and we gave them one hell of a run for their money. Show a litle love.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2009, 05:55:20 PM »
If every basket is exactly the same then why even watch the game?

Are you trying to tell us that you didn't get enjoyment from watching Wade play win or lose?

Maybe you should just save yourself some time and check the score after the game is over........................ ::)

Basketball would be pretty boring if it was nothing but layups and free throws.

I appreciated Travis Diener's bomb against Louisville even though Gaines's bigger bomb ultimately cost us the game.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:17:43 PM by MuMark »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »
It actually counted for 3 points, since he got the foul and made the free throw, so it did, in fact, count for more than 3 points.  Plus it changed momentum.  Somebody sounds a little bitter of Lazar's success.  And why shouldn't the guys play to get attention for the NBA?  Should their goals be to stop in college?  Get a grip.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter