[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Acker + Cubillan > DJO + Buycks ?  (Read 4543 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Acker + Cubillan > DJO + Buycks ?
« on: December 19, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
I understand they're more experienced but DJO and Buycks are more explosive.
The former may take care of the ball better (which preserves the paper thin margin of error), but I'd rather see the latter on the court with Jimmy Fkin Butler and Zar running up and down the court.

Do you think DJO and Buycks will eventually be starting with JB and LH halfway through the BE season?
SS Marquette

Josey Wales

• Starter
Re: Acker + Cubillan > DJO + Buycks ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:12:34 PM »
i sure hope so
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:26:07 PM »
Both should be starting, although neither looks like a true PG.

Itis totally ridiculous that Acker and Cubi are both starters and on the floor a lot at the same time. They are the two smallest/slightest on the team. Acker will be a huge defensive liability when BEast play starts.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »
Not only should be start, but if he's going to come off the bench DJO should be in sooner than 11 minutes into the game like he was today.  What's up with the extremes?  Half the time Buzz has the entire bench emptied and sat back down within the first 5 minutes.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 09:37:12 PM »
Both should be starting, although neither looks like a true PG.

It is totally ridiculous that Acker and Cubi are both starters and on the floor a lot at the same time. They are the two smallest/slightest on the team. Acker will be a huge defensive liability when BEast play starts.

True.

But isn't it the best scenario to have DJO and Buycks on the floor at the same time?
SS Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 09:59:17 PM »
True.

But isn't it the best scenario to have DJO and Buycks on the floor at the same time?

Yes, it is

"That ain't what he does!"

The Pickle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:12:04 PM »
Can either Buycks or DJO handle the ball?

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 10:13:45 PM »
Can either Buycks or DJO handle the ball?

Buycks was the PG for his JC in Iowa

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 10:18:28 PM »
I understand they're more experienced but DJO and Buycks are more explosive.
The former may take care of the ball better (which preserves the paper thin margin of error), but I'd rather see the latter on the court with Jimmy Fkin Butler and Zar running up and down the court.

Do you think DJO and Buycks will eventually be starting with JB and LH halfway through the BE season?

I admire Cubillian for his dedication, commitment, and intensity but I don't see how he adds anything to the offense. If we are to have a chance in the bE we need DJO to start and garner the lion's share of minutes.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 01:25:50 AM »
I admire Cubillian for his dedication, commitment, and intensity but I don't see how he adds anything to the offense. If we are to have a chance in the bE we need DJO to start and garner the lion's share of minutes.

That's exactly why I think it should eventually be Buycks and DJO. The more they know each other now, the better they'll be next year. (Not that I suggest we mail in the season.)

Coobs is Happy Feet the penguin. Endless energy but other than the occasional three-pointer, you're not going to get anything from him. Drive to the hoop? Forget it. Create his own shot? Only if it leads to him taking a three.

Mo is a much better offensive player but he'll get posted each and every time the offense switches defenders on him. He sometimes will dare to go into the forest but due to his size, trick shots is really all he has to get the ball through the trees.

DJO has explosiveness, a sweet stroke, and a mid-range game.
Buycks can push the ball, take it physically strong to the rack, and stroke it (though with less efficiency than DJO).
I know I overlooked DJO's timidity at times and Buycks's proneness to TOs, but they'll eventually gel.
SS Marquette

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »
I am perplexed by the fact that our 3-guard lineup of Acker/Cubes + DJO + Buycks, with Butler and Hayward, is not the starting lineup, the one that was working VERY WELL down in FL.  And something is very strange with our best shooter not getting into the game until the 11-min. mark.  I understand maybe Buzz wants to go with his "experienced" guys, but I think it's WAY better to bring either Acker or Cubes off the bench with Fulce/EWill/Mbao--that second unit, I think, needs an experienced player.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:20:05 AM »
DJO is bad on defense and Buycks turns the ball over on drives and has on occassion taken some really bad shots.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »
But is DJO any worse on D than Cooby or Acker? I don't think so.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »
DJO is bad on defense and Buycks turns the ball over on drives and has on occassion taken some really bad shots.
DJO is not worse at defense than Acker, and he will not be constantly posted up.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 12:41:58 PM »
But is DJO any worse on D than Cooby or Acker? I don't think so.

He's worse than Cooby, perhaps not worse than Acker.

DJO has all the athletic tools to be a great defender, but he's just not there yet.  He stands too vertical, he doesn't move his feet well and his doesn't use his hands well.  When North Florida is exposing you defensively, it's never a good sign.  He's got to get it figured out soon, because we can't afford to have his offense on the bench.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 12:55:16 PM »
The bottom line is that either Buycks and/or DJO need to be in the game while interspering the time of the two senior G's.  Mo and Coobey simply don't play well together due to their limitations.  Not a knock on either individually.  Given their size and skills, they do not complement each other well on either end of the court.  They struggled mightily together yesterday against an inferior opponent. 

Watching the game in person at the BC, this problem is truly palpable as one watches the flow of the game when they play together for any extended time.  A lot of motion, but limited results.  Again, better to intersperse their PT with Buycks and DJO.

77ncaachamps

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 05:58:49 PM »
He's worse than Cooby, perhaps not worse than Acker.

DJO has all the athletic tools to be a great defender, but he's just not there yet.  He stands too vertical, he doesn't move his feet well and his doesn't use his hands well.  When North Florida is exposing you defensively, it's never a good sign.  He's got to get it figured out soon, because we can't afford to have his offense on the bench.

Glad you picked up on that.
I watched him dribble straight up, head down, ball high often.
Though he had the motors on throttle, he needs to refine his body positioning/control.
SS Marquette

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 10:28:47 PM »
In my opinion, DJO is far and away the best pro prospect on MU.  He may be a bit of an "upright" player, but from what I've seen, his defense isn't bad at all - and appears at times to be very good.  Can't think of a situation where an opposing player has taken him off the dribble, all the way to the rack?  Seems to move well laterally.  Is tenacious.  What am I missing?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

bma725

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 11:13:55 PM »
In my opinion, DJO is far and away the best pro prospect on MU.  He may be a bit of an "upright" player, but from what I've seen, his defense isn't bad at all - and appears at times to be very good.  Can't think of a situation where an opposing player has taken him off the dribble, all the way to the rack?  Seems to move well laterally.  Is tenacious.  What am I missing?

In the North Florida game alone there were multiple possessions where he was in a bad defensive stance and allowed his man to get right past him even though he was clearly the quicker player and had the positional advantage at the begining.  He was just standing up and not shuffling his feet, so when the guy made his move, he couldn't keep up.  There was also at least one if not more plays where he was getting caught in a bad position on his man off his ball and was unable to get over and help.  I can't remember the kids name, but one play in particular the other guard let his guy go thinking that DJO would slide over and cut him off, but DJO just kind of stood there as the guy drove right to the basket for a lay up. 

I'm not saying he can't play good defense, but the times when he does are few and far between.

feedback