[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson - should have, could have  (Read 5168 times)

mviale

• All American
Jamil Wilson - should have, could have
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:28:13 PM »
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 11:30:54 PM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Jamil Wilson - should have, could have
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:08:42 AM »
Maybe, but the Pac-10 is WRETCHED this year, it's not even funny.

I witnessed a storied program in UCLA get handled by 20 comfortably by Mississippi State.
The WCC has had some success already against the supposedly stronger Pac10 neighbors.
SS Marquette

mug644

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:49:54 AM »
Thanks for linking those stats. Some posters have hinted at at Wilson transfer, implying that he might "replace" Maymon. I haven't seen any indication that he might want to transfer, and the info about the risks of mid-freshman year transfers doesn't indicate that it would be a good idea. Sure the Pac 10 is down this year, and he's far from home, but he chose to go there. Why assume that he's unhappy and ready to transfer just because Maymon did?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 08:07:24 AM »
The lost to Missouri by 37, lost to St. Mary's, Portland and Montana.

Are they better than UWM or Greenbay?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 09:00:46 AM »
Thanks for linking those stats. Some posters have hinted at at Wilson transfer, implying that he might "replace" Maymon. I haven't seen any indication that he might want to transfer, and the info about the risks of mid-freshman year transfers doesn't indicate that it would be a good idea. Sure the Pac 10 is down this year, and he's far from home, but he chose to go there. Why assume that he's unhappy and ready to transfer just because Maymon did?

Most people are basing it on the idea that Oregon's coach won't make it through the year.

Basically, people are assuming that he would then transfer and petition the NCAA for a season of competition waiver because the coach was fired during his first year, which would give him back the year of eligibility he's using right now.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »

The rumor before the basketball season even started was that he was unhappy.  Is he still unhappy?  Who knows but if Oregon has another bad season, Kent is gone maybe that will that push him over the edge.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:21:35 AM »
He is having a nice season:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/88580

How dare you insult Jamil! He isn't starting and his numbers (mpg, ppg, PG, RPG)  suggest he is not the feature of the Ducks

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 09:25:34 AM »
Two questions:
Is the offense being run through him?
How does his father feel about his role?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »
He is having a nice season:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/players/88580

Those stats look similar to some blond kid at Iowa State.   ;)

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
Most people are basing it on the idea that Oregon's coach won't make it through the year.

Basically, people are assuming that he would then transfer and petition the NCAA for a season of competition waiver because the coach was fired during his first year, which would give him back the year of eligibility he's using right now.

Right. Thanks for the input about the coach. Question, though: are you saying that the NCAA will consider giving back a year of eligibility to someone whose coach has been fired? Meaning, if Kent is fired and Wilson transfers he might still get 4 years of eligibility at his new school? Is there also a difference regarding when the coach was fired (ie, during the season or after the season has ended)? This would be an interesting twist to the thread last week about firing coaches during the season.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »
I was waiting for the Jamil posts to begin.

As for Christopherson...please. He was brutal.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 10:19:13 AM »
Right. Thanks for the input about the coach. Question, though: are you saying that the NCAA will consider giving back a year of eligibility to someone whose coach has been fired? Meaning, if Kent is fired and Wilson transfers he might still get 4 years of eligibility at his new school? Is there also a difference regarding when the coach was fired (ie, during the season or after the season has ended)? This would be an interesting twist to the thread last week about firing coaches during the season.

I'm not saying they'll give it to him, but it's a possibility.  They gave one to Laval Lucas-Perry when he transferred from Arizona to Michigan after Lute Olsen was replaced by KO.  Basically it meant that the games Lucas-Perry had played at Arizona didn't count, and his eligibility clock started over.

They like to use it only in extreme circumstances, but with the capriciousness of most NCAA rulings, you never know whether something will apply.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
I was waiting for the Jamil posts to begin.

As for Christopherson...please. He was brutal.

Actually, Scott is performing nicely for a decent 7-3 ISU/Big 12 team with 22 MMG,  7.7 PPG, 2 RPG, 83% FTs and almost 57% trey shooting.  He is not brutal.  :o

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
And what might his defensive stats be?... And he is what, a junior by now?  Wilson is a freshman.  Its not really even close.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »

And what might his defensive stats be?... And he is what, a junior by now?  Wilson is a freshman.  Its not really even close.
Couldn't this energy be better spent on a thread about why MU isn't the Warriors, or about some big man that MU recruited that now averages 8 and 8 for a DII school?

Or writing haikus, that would really be the best way to go.

One is gone and has made a better situation for himself.
The other was never here, and until we know that he is leaving, its useless to speculate.

Maybe I'm just grumpy this morning...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »

He's a sophomore.  And his defensive stats, according to his coach, are pretty good.

Look, I'm not saying he's as good as Wilson, not even close.  I just find it funny that we're saying Wilson's stats look good when almost similar stats by Christopherson were crapped on by a few posters. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 11:48:35 AM »
He's a sophomore.  And his defensive stats, according to his coach, are pretty good.

Look, I'm not saying he's as good as Wilson, not even close.  I just find it funny that we're saying Wilson's stats look good when almost similar stats by Christopherson were crapped on by a few posters. 

Sophomore ELIGIBILITY.
Sitting out a year would make him technically a junior credit-wise...and more importantly one year older and more mature.
SS Marquette

VwArrior1

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
I dont understand the deal with people always having to bash Christopherson. Is it really necessary.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »

Since there is no individual stat tracking defense, we should probably comapre team defense numbers:
Iowa State's opponents shooting: 40.8%
MU's opponents shooting: 41.7%

Iowa State opponents 3 point shooting:  25.6%
MU' 3FG% Defense: 30.5%

Regardless of what you say about Christopherson's defense, Iowa State has been able to hide those individual liabilities through an overall team defense that doesn't appear to be significantly worse than MU's.

On the other hand, an offensive rating of 121.5 can make up for a lot of liability on individual defense (Compare that to DJO at 115.2).  We overlooked Steve Novak's or Travis Diener's defensive liabilities because they were so effective on offense.  

Christopherson's sophomore O-rtg is ahead of what Diener and Novak put up as sophs.   I'm not predicting he'll be better at the end of his career--but to put him in perspective, the protests are vastly overblown.

He's turning out to be a decent player, and would definitely help this year's team with our current 7 man rotation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »
Perceptions of Christopherson are muddied by (A) he hadn't fully recovered his legs after his knee surgery and (B) watching the speed of the other guards.     I am not surprised he is contributing at Iowa State.     He would be playing the 4 for us though.  ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
Perceptions of Christopherson are muddied by (A) he hadn't fully recovered his legs after his knee surgery and (B) watching the speed of the other guards.     I am not surprised he is contributing at Iowa State.     He would be playing the 4 for us though.  ::)

I'm no expert but a significant faxcor in the SC criticism is the fact that he was recruited by a Man with a Tan...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:59:18 PM by warthog-driver »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 05:57:28 PM »
I'm no exoert but a significant faxtor in the SCcriticism is the fact that he was recruited by a dick with a Tan...

Fixed for truth in posting.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"