Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Likely to be Unpopular among MU fans - Maymon perspective  (Read 6504 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Likely to be Unpopular among MU fans - Maymon perspective
« on: December 17, 2009, 10:51:43 PM »
I don't know that we should all jump on Tim Maymon, and judge him as being a deadbeat, or bad dad, etc.  It is entirely possible that J-May was frustrated with the way he was being used, and didn't have the patience to see it through until next year.  Let's leave this kid and his family alone.

Maybe his father is overbearing, but there are a lot of overbearing fathers/mothers.  Additionally, J-May likely is his family's best chance for a better life..and perhaps father/son had a talk and Dad feels it is best for him to go elsewhere..and J-May is being a respectful son.  It is either one or the other (J-May not happy, or his Dad not happy) and they are entitled to their opinion and freedom.  Neither have made negative comments toward MU, nor has Buzz or MU made negative comments toward the Maymons...nor should any of us.

It is unfortunate it didn't work out for Buzz/MU and for the Maymons.  I'm not saying that J-May wouldn't have gotten some of the finest instruction/conditioning, etc. by remaining at MU - but at the end of the day either he or his father didn't feel like MU was the best place for him to work on his craft...and that is okay..many other players have come through MU and done wonderful things.  Let's wish J-May good luck, and leave his family alone.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Likely to be Unpopular among MU fans - Maymon perspective
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:54:28 PM »
I don't know that we should all jump on Tim Maymon, and judge him as being a deadbeat, or bad dad, etc. 

You're right.  The courts already have done that, time and time again.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »
the son was the last great hope
for the family on a financial rope
but rather than earn
through great effort and churn
the son went out the door like a dope

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:50:22 AM »
Umm.... Teal?

There's no way to sugarcoat a dude who sees his son as a meal ticket. Sorry. That makes you a deadbeat. If you want a better life, go out and earn it. Don't wait for your child to make it so you can ride their horse. I was all for withholding judgment until the truth came out; now that it has, I don't have much sympathy/empathy/respect for TM. Fathers have responsibilities to lead and protect their families. This dude is out of his mind and will end up trashing his son's future. Nothing remotely admirable about that.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 08:08:31 AM »
I don't know that we should all jump on Tim Maymon, and judge him as being a deadbeat, or bad dad, etc.  It is entirely possible that J-May was frustrated with the way he was being used, and didn't have the patience to see it through until next year.  Let's leave this kid and his family alone.

Maybe his father is overbearing, but there are a lot of overbearing fathers/mothers.  Additionally, J-May likely is his family's best chance for a better life..and perhaps father/son had a talk and Dad feels it is best for him to go elsewhere..and J-May is being a respectful son.  It is either one or the other (J-May not happy, or his Dad not happy) and they are entitled to their opinion and freedom.  Neither have made negative comments toward MU, nor has Buzz or MU made negative comments toward the Maymons...nor should any of us.

It is unfortunate it didn't work out for Buzz/MU and for the Maymons.  I'm not saying that J-May wouldn't have gotten some of the finest instruction/conditioning, etc. by remaining at MU - but at the end of the day either he or his father didn't feel like MU was the best place for him to work on his craft...and that is okay..many other players have come through MU and done wonderful things.  Let's wish J-May good luck, and leave his family alone.

Lets agree to completely disagree.

Tim Maymon is a joke.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »
I disagree with the original post.  This transfer has been compared in numerous posts to the transfer of Odartey Blankson.  While I agree it may have entirely been jeronne's desire to leave, i personally doubt that, it is definitely possible. 

But if we recall the transfer of ODB people will recall that ODB's family handled it completely differently.  They in numerous articles and interviews stated that they thought it was absolutely the wrong thing to do.  That they did not approve of it and that they had spoken and while ultimately they did not think he was making a wise choice they would support him becuase he is their son.

That is how a parent should handle something like that, discuss, act as a parent, provide wisdom perspective, etc, and then ultimately support.

Not seeing that from Tim...it appears that he may be the driving force. I dont ever recall ODB's parents referring in the "We" or that their son was not getting enough time or touches etc.

If Tim and/or his son believe the the best thing to do in life is turn tail and run that early in an endeavor then he will be setting himself up for a life full of failure.  Its one thing to enjoy something that all you have to do is show up and be the best at your whole youth.  and then to teach the lesson that as soon as you face the first bit of adveristy you run? 

a real parent supports his child like ODb's parents..they say our kid is wrong but we will support him.  Tim Maymon is saying his kid is doing the right thing which is wrong.  Transferring becuase you are not happy is the right thing to do, transferring for the reasons they are transferring is a sad testimony

teddycoke

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:21:14 AM »
i feel sorry for this kid...wish him success....lets move on...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
I see I'm in the minority in this viewpoint, and not surprised.  J-May told Buzz he was unhappy in their meeting - maybe Tim Maymon "made" him say it?  I do agree that to say "they" want J-May to be the focal point of the offense, etc..as a freshman...is unrealistic at a high-major program.  

My last thought on this matter is a quote/cliche but one I think all would do well to live by: Never judge another man, until you've walked in his shoes."  I'm not excusing Tim Maymon for some of his actions or transgressions in his life - but few if any here have any idea what Tim Maymon's childhood was like, what level of parenting (if any he had), how poor he may have been.  All I know is that I made some bad choices in my life at times, and I had solid parenting, solid household, financially and from a stability standpoint.  If he sees his son as a meal ticket, that doesn't mean that he also doesn't love his son.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »
Umm.... Teal?

There's no way to sugarcoat a dude who sees his son as a meal ticket. Sorry. That makes you a deadbeat. If you want a better life, go out and earn it. Don't wait for your child to make it so you can ride their horse. I was all for withholding judgment until the truth came out; now that it has, I don't have much sympathy/empathy/respect for TM. Fathers have responsibilities to lead and protect their families. This dude is out of his mind and will end up trashing his son's future. Nothing remotely admirable about that.

Wow you did a complete 180 from your earlier response.  It pains to say this but I totally agree with you

But I wouldn't give Maymon Jr such of a pass like you were earlier.  The kid is selfish for quitting and weak for being so unhappy about the situation.  Get him on some anti-depressants and he probably would have been fine.  

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 11:40:25 AM »
Once you read his quotes and look at his history, I don't think there's much room for interpretation with Tim Mayon -- class A knobshine.

What puzzles me is how Jeronne (according to Buzz) never talked about his concerns/feelings/aspirations with Buzz, even as delusional and selfish as they were. Kids letting there parents do the talking is jr. high stuff. I've heard of dads talking to their son's coach in 6th grade about playing time, concerns -- but D1, BE basketball?? You got a problem -- acknowledge it, step up and be a man. If it doesn't work out, fine. But 10 games? Come on. His transfer is more about his mental softness than anything that was ever done on the court. But when you have a dad filling your head with his delusions from a young age, this is sadly going to be the result. Maybe, Lazar will give Jeronne his "ah ha" moment when he makes an NBA team next year after working hard and playing out-of-position his entire career.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
If he sees his son as a meal ticket, that doesn't mean that he also doesn't love his son.

If you love your son because he's your meal ticket (or serves some other materialistic purpose to you), what happens when you're faced with the reality that he isn't or doesn't want to be your meal ticket anymore?

If you like this topic, you might enjoy another similar title: Cecil & Prince Fielder.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »
Never judge another man, until you've walked in his shoes."  

Abraham Lincoln in the house!!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:41:36 PM »
The Maymons' requested an audience with the ahtletic administration asking for a release prior to meeting with Buzz.  The guy never talked to his teammates about the transfer either.  Seems like an orchestrated departure.  Bottom line is that the "we" people decided that the offense was not featuring Jeronne as they wished for in their dreams of "one-and-done".  So be it; but, I'm certainly not going to feel sorry for the guy.  Time to move on and wish for the best for J-May in a future in which he is his own man (presumably far from Madison and Papa Tim).

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »
If you love your son because he's your meal ticket (or serves some other materialistic purpose to you), what happens when you're faced with the reality that he isn't or doesn't want to be your meal ticket anymore?

If you like this topic, you might enjoy another similar title: Cecil & Prince Fielder.

Except that Prince is getting is P.A.I.D.  I am not hopeful that J-May ever will, at least not in the Association.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »
I see I'm in the minority in this viewpoint, and not surprised.  J-May told Buzz he was unhappy in their meeting - maybe Tim Maymon "made" him say it?  I do agree that to say "they" want J-May to be the focal point of the offense, etc..as a freshman...is unrealistic at a high-major program.  

My last thought on this matter is a quote/cliche but one I think all would do well to live by: Never judge another man, until you've walked in his shoes."  I'm not excusing Tim Maymon for some of his actions or transgressions in his life - but few if any here have any idea what Tim Maymon's childhood was like, what level of parenting (if any he had), how poor he may have been.  All I know is that I made some bad choices in my life at times, and I had solid parenting, solid household, financially and from a stability standpoint.  If he sees his son as a meal ticket, that doesn't mean that he also doesn't love his son.

Isn't it odd that JMay never mentioned beforehand to any of his teammates or to Buzz that he was unhappy?  In fact, Jimmy said JMay has looked and acted the same since the beginning, nothing changed.  I know that he said in his meeting with Buzz after he decided to leave that he was unhappy but based off of the way Buzz answered the media questions, it sure sounds like JMay has someone in his ear telling him what to think.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »
Abraham Lincoln in the house!!

Here are the Seattle versions of that quote:

"Never judge a dude until you've walked in his Birkenstocks"

"Never think ill of a fellow Green Peace member until you've worn his hemp vest"

"A woman should never judge her life partner until she has driven the other woman's pick up truck"

"Never direct negative energy at  another environmental defense fund brother until you've driven his Prius"

"Hey man, stay righteous! The bro must have scored some bad BC bud" 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
There once was a fellow named Tim
Whose son excelled in the gym
But when the minutes weren't there
He exited his Pere
But says it wasn't a whim

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Here are the Seattle versions of that quote:

"Never judge a dude until you've walked in his Birkenstocks"

"Never think ill of a fellow Green Peace member until you've worn his hemp vest"

"A woman should never judge her life partner until she has driven the other woman's pick up truck Subaru"

"Never direct negative energy at  another environmental defense fund brother until you've driven his Prius"

"Hey man, stay righteous! The bro must have scored some bad BC bud" 

1 minor correction, Colonel.   ;)

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »
1 minor correction, Colonel.   ;)

well put. the subaru outback - could 30,00 king county lesbians be wrong! equipped with automatic transmission -who needs a stick!

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 02:11:40 AM »
Too Bad no one got the Memo to Odartey Blankson about Wade's ability to pass the ball, maybe he woulda stayed.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

NCMUFan

• All American
Were we just not listening?
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 04:01:42 AM »
In hindsight, Jeronne and Marquette were a horrible fit.  Marquette needs players who will make sacrifices to play out of their normal positions.  Makes you really appreciate Wes, Lazar, Dan Fitzgerald, Dwight Burke and the new players such as Jimmy Butler, Joe Fulce, Erik Williams.  Regardless of what Buzz said, it was "Play me at he 2 or 3 and run the offense through me or I am out of here."  JM had skill and physical attributes that got him playing time.  The best team makeup at the moment to win games was not to have him playing the 2 or 3 and running the offense through him.  Hence, it was just plain aweful compatibility between JM and Marquette.  Will JM get what he wants?  That is a good question.  To me it appears he needs a school that has depth but lacks talent at the point and front court and no depth and talent at the 2 or 3.  Maybe this will keep the Maymons happy.  Jeronne may have made it to he pros at Marquette even if he played out of position,  Wes proves it and I think Lazar will be the next example.  Oh well, time to move on.  Maybe Buzz learned some valuable lessons and sharpened his judge of character skills.  But maybe Buzz is also a risk taker and hence even knowing the risks will take a chance on players like Jeronne and Monterale Clark.  Hence Marquette thicken your skin.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:32:51 AM by NCMUFan »

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 07:07:45 AM »
i think it was fran frachilla last weekend telling a story about rick pitino.  he said, at the beginning of every season he hands out a scrap of paper and a pen to all the players and asks them to write down how many minutes they believe they should play per game.  then he writes all the minutes down on a blackboard and adds them up in front of the team...  invariably, the total number of minutes desired exceeds the total number of minutes available (200) by more than 100 percent.  pitino uses this to make a point that in team basketball - players need to make sacrifices to each other in order to accomplish the goal of winning games.

maymon's unrealistic, selfishly infantile perspective toward team basketball is directly a product of poor character development - and THAT begins with the parents.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
Actually that's incorrect. What Pitino does is give the players the pencil and paper and asks them to spell their names. If they get half the letters in their name correct, their minutes increase.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

LON

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
Actually that's incorrect. What Pitino does is give the players the pencil and paper and asks them to spell their names. If they get half the letters in their name correct, their minutes increase.

well played

thekahoona

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 10:40:51 AM »

really?  is that the bet you can do?  the proper snark would be to say this, "Actually that's incorrect. What Pitino does is give the players the pencil and paper and asks them to spell their names. If they get half the letters in their name correct, he takes them to a private booth in an Italian restaurant...