Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: An outsider's perspective...  (Read 3690 times)

tower912

• All American
An outsider's perspective...
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
Yeah, I stole it from the scout board.    But a well written, impartial article is always welcome.

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/12/17/maymon-done-before-he-began/
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: An outsider's perspective...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
Spot on analysis.  This paragraph says it all, as far as I'm concerned:

Maymon is throwing away a full season of experience in the Big East and bringing his ability to be a good teammate into question — and that’s putting it lightly, everything about this yells headcase to other coaches (although that won’t stop several from taking him). But you know the biggest thing Maymon is throwing away? The opportunity for that light bulb moment to happen for him.
Ludum habemus.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:58:40 AM »

Shack

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
Spot on analysis.  This paragraph says it all, as far as I'm concerned:

Maymon is throwing away a full season of experience in the Big East and bringing his ability to be a good teammate into question — and that’s putting it lightly, everything about this yells headcase to other coaches (although that won’t stop several from taking him). But you know the biggest thing Maymon is throwing away? The opportunity for that light bulb moment to happen for him.

Good article.  This is the sentence that has me most concerned:   “Maybe there’s been some “feelers” coming from other programs?”  

Is this another level of recruiting that goes on that is never mentioned?  Are college coaches allowed to speak to players on other teams to find out who’s not happy in their current situation?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »
Yeah, I stole it from the scout board.    But a well written, impartial article is always welcome.

Its OK to "steal" my post.  After all, we are all MU fans/alums. :)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
It was so good I thought I had to.   At least I admitted it and took no credit.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:04:52 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
Yeah, I stole it from the scout board.    But a well written, impartial article is always welcome.

Good article

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »
Good article.  This is the sentence that has me most concerned:   “Maybe there’s been some “feelers” coming from other programs?”  

Is this another level of recruiting that goes on that is never mentioned?  Are college coaches allowed to speak to players on other teams to find out who’s not happy in their current situation?

Yes, it's called tampering....just ask Bruce Pearl about it when he was at UWM.  And yes, it goes on usually through surrogates (other players who were high school teammates, etc, trying to lure their buddies, etc), but there are other ways it is done also.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
Not so sure it's an "ousiders" perspective - Tower you went to high school with the author of that article (and the author's older brother).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 12:34:56 PM by lurch91 »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »
Who is this guy?  He seems to know Maymon's game inside and out.  Very well-informed.  How many writers know the strengths and weaknesses of the 7th man on a average college hoops team?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
Who is this guy?  He seems to know Maymon's game inside and out.  Very well-informed.  How many writers know the strengths and weaknesses of the 7th man on a average college hoops team?

From the NBE website:

Ray Mernagh
Ray is a contributing editor at the Pittsburgh Sports Report and has written features for PSR since 2003-04. He is also the publisher of Hoopwise.com and has written for Basketball Times. Ray is especially proud to have written for the now-defunct Eastern Basketball before the legendary magazine went under. Ray will continue to write his “Belly of the Beast” column, as well as provide scouting reports and breaking news and analysis on all things Big East for NBE. He can also be heard as the national college basketball expert on the Joe Bendel Show every Wednesday during the college hoops season. His first book, 1 Chance 2 Dance: A Season Inside Mid-Major Hoops in Mid-America was released in 2006 and provided a no-holds-barred inside look at the world of college basketball.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »
How about this.....maymon was so embarrassed in front of the Madison crowd by the MU loss and his role in it bricking crucial ft's that he quit out of embarassment?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »
I've read a lot of Mernagh's stuff over the years and more recently at NBE.  Primarily a Big East guy.  So he would be familiar with MU's roster. 

LON

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
How about this.....maymon was so embarrassed in front of the Madison crowd by the MU loss and his role in it bricking crucial ft's that he quit out of embarassment?

Sadly, that would be a better reason than not being the focal point of the offense...

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
Consiering he was mad about playing center, maybe he missed them on purpose.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 05:46:23 PM »
Consiering he was mad about playing center, maybe he missed them on purpose.

Well, at least on TV, he looked pretty uncomfortable on the FT line and they were crucial FTs'.  I think the poor guy just died of embarassment and had no where to hide, so, he left.