Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Which transfers have been successful?  (Read 5942 times)

classof70

• Team Captain
Which transfers have been successful?
« on: December 16, 2009, 06:53:48 AM »
Query:  Who after transferring from MU to a Division I school has been successful?  Not being quite the MU bball savant as some, I wonder if someone has the ability to pull this information.  My initial reaction is that most of the students who leave, don't have that much success anywhere else.  Certainly not the NBA.

One other observation:  I think Maymon leaving is just a young kid who has a glorified view of his talent wanting to go somewhere he can be the focal point.  MU will be the better for it in the long run. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Re: Which transfers have been successful?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:17:01 AM »
I consider Maymon a dropout.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »
Ron Howard

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 07:47:51 AM »
Blankson was successful at UNLV...despite the fact that he probably regrets leaving. He was a very good player for the Rebels.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:00:37 AM »
Shannon Smith (circa 94) was pretty successfull after transfering to UWM.  He averaged over 24 ppg and broke UWM records.  He also graduated cum laude which is impressive balancing books and basketball.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 08:09:17 AM »
Any players with success going to major conferences?  I mean, since TM believes his son needs more touches in a Big East school as a freshman, success at UNLV and UWM just won't cut it for his boy, although he might need to realize that is the path they are taking.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:29:31 AM »
Any players with success going to major conferences?  I mean, since TM believes his son needs more touches in a Big East school as a freshman, success at UNLV and UWM just won't cut it for his boy, although he might need to realize that is the path they are taking.

Off all the transfers, only a few have gone to major conference schools...

Christopherson to Iowa State
Mbakwe to Minnesota
Dameon Mason to LSU

Other than that its mid major at best:

Krunti Hester to Lamar
Blankson to UNLV
Howard to Valpo
Kevin Menard to Carthage College(NAIA)
Karon Bradley to Wichita State
Brandon Bell to Detroit
Carlton Christian to UCF
James Matthews to Eastern Michigan(by way of Iowa State)
Amo to San Diego State
Hazel to Boston University

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:33:27 AM »
Off all the transfers, only a few have gone to major conference schools...

Christopherson to Iowa State
Mbakwe to Minnesota
Dameon Mason to LSU

Other than that its mid major at best:

Krunti Hester to Lamar
Blankson to UNLV
Howard to Valpo
Kevin Menard to Carthage College(NAIA)

I forgot about Menard.  And Carthage is actually D3 which means no athletic scholarship.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
that grass is greener
look how lush and rich it is
do i smell manure

Guy Fieri's Dad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »
Generally, I believe if you don't take your finals you fail your courses and fail out.  So, he is more of a dropout than a transfer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
Generally, I believe if you don't take your finals you fail your courses and fail out.  So, he is more of a dropout than a transfer.

Do you know his finals schedule?  Maybe he took them yesterday, drove home for the JMHS game last night and today's press conference, and then will head back to finish them if he hasn't already.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:13:33 AM »
unfinished business
this does not apply to me
short term perspective

LON

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 10:18:47 AM »
Man ODB would be nice to have around right now...

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
Man ODB would be nice to have around right now...

For you younger posters, Blankson transferred the year before the FF year. It was absolutely crushing at the time...though things obviously worked out for the best for MU. But he was a total crowd favorite..a hustler, a rebounder and an effective scorer. In fact, he may have been more popular than Wade. He was named captain of the teamm before announcing he was leaving. I can't recall being so upset over a guy transferring. Maymon leaving is barely a ripple compared to Blankson.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:28:38 AM »
For you younger posters, Blankson transferred the year before the FF year. It was absolutely crushing at the time...though things obviously worked out for the best for MU. But he was a total crowd favorite..a hustler, a rebounder and an effective scorer. In fact, he may have been more popular than Wade. He was named captain of the teamm before announcing he was leaving. I can't recall being so upset over a guy transferring. Maymon leaving is barely a ripple compared to Blankson.

Yep.  He would have been the front line starter ahead of Todd Townsend on that team.  He transferred to UNLV thinking that he could develop more as an offensive star.  He ended up having a decent career there, but I do believe that he said later that he regretted leaving.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
Blankson leaving was tough. As I recall, his #0 jersey was one of the first replicas to be sold at the Warrior Shop. Real crowd pleaser and a great guy.

Obviously, we did OK afterwards then, and I still think next year is going to bring great things for the program now.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »
I still remember that game ODB had at the Arena against Minnesota. Dude was everywhere. I also remember him having a huge game against SLU when Wade was held to single digits.

That one was really tough to take. But it worked out in the end.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
I remember the post game show for a game at the Bradley Center in Blankson's freshman year.  (The year Wade sat out.)  Blankson had a very good game offensively.  Hit a few 3 pointers, and as always got some hustle put backs.  Homer and George asked Crean about Odartay's game.  Crean said he liked what Odartay showed, but that George shouldn't be concerned about him breaking the scoring record.  Then he followed with, "now his roommate, that might be a different story."  (His roommate was Wade.) 

Wade and Blankson were close in high school, they even committed the same night.  There was also an article the next year before the Loyola game about Blankson's older brother playing for Loyola, and how he'd be going up against his brother, and another guy that he was close with, Wade. 

When Odartay transferred and suggested that his role in the offense was the reason, I always thought it may have been different if the guy the offense was centered around was someone other than Wade.  When you grow up with a guy, you remember when you were better than him, or at least his equal.  Sometimes it's hard to realize how much better he has become.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:56:52 AM »
That Minnesota game at the MECCA was the birthplace of the "ODB" nickname, I believe. Fun times.

Is that the game Joel Pryzbilla played is and had a big one, or was it the previous meeting?

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:32 AM »
That Minnesota game at the MECCA was the birthplace of the "ODB" nickname, I believe. Fun times.

Is that the game Joel Pryzbilla played is and had a big one, or was it the previous meeting?

I think Pryzbilla's big game was up in Minneapolis.  That was Crean's first road game as a coach, in November of 99.

Rossknife231

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Didn't Ammo do alright at San Diego State? Also some people forget Koran Bradley- who I thought was a great shooter when at Marquette. He transfered to Wichita State.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »
If I remember correctly, ODB's father didn't want ODB to transfer from Marquette and said so publicly.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 12:58:46 PM »
Didn't Ammo do alright at San Diego State? Also some people forget Koran Bradley- who I thought was a great shooter when at Marquette. He transfered to Wichita State.

Amo did OK.  His points per minute stayed about the same, and rebounding decreased:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/san-diego-state/ryan-amoroso

Bradley actually did better as far as his stats improving after leaving Marquette
http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/wichita-state/karon-bradley

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 01:51:15 PM »
I think Pryzbilla's big game was up in Minneapolis.  That was Crean's first road game as a coach, in November of 99.

That's right. Ugh. Not a good sweep.

parkerj

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »

Do you know his finals schedule?  Maybe he took them yesterday, drove home for the JMHS game last night and today's press conference, and then will head back to finish them if he hasn't already.

he wasn't at the game, his dad was