[Today at 11:50:43 AM]

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Jockey
[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: mid-season firings  (Read 1766 times)

mug644

• All American
mid-season firings
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
There's been the second mid-season firing of a Div I basketball coach, with Penn getting rid of Glen Miller. This follows Fordham's sacking of Dereck Whittenburg earlier.

It is a rare occurrence for a coach to be let go during the college season (this ESPN article http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4741156 mentions 5 others in years past), but I've got to say that I'm uncomfortable with it. Somehow it feels different from pro sports, and should be avoided. I can't really pinpoint why I think this, but it seems to send the wrong message to players, that the season is lost.

Anyone else feel unsettled by this?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: mid-season firings
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
I don't know where I fall on this.  I agree with your point, but say DePaul goes winless in their first eight Big East games after no conference wins last year (not counting the BET).  I don't see how you couldn't fire Jerry Wainwright.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »
There's been the second mid-season firing of a Div I basketball coach, with Penn getting rid of Glen Miller. This follows Fordham's sacking of Dereck Whittenburg earlier.

It is a rare occurrence for a coach to be let go during the college season (this ESPN article http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4741156 mentions 5 others in years past), but I've got to say that I'm uncomfortable with it. Somehow it feels different from pro sports, and should be avoided. I can't really pinpoint why I think this, but it seems to send the wrong message to players, that the season is lost.

Anyone else feel unsettled by this?

Well, the guy still gets paid.  But I don't really understand the motivation from the school's point of view.  Say DePaul does fire Wainwright...what's the difference between doing it now versus at the end of the year?  The season's shot anyway and you most certainly are not going to hire one of his assistants to be head coach right?

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
I know football doesn't equate to basketball, but more distrubing is Brian Kelly's treatment of UC. 

You lead your team to an undefeated season and then bail on them at first chance to go to ND?
I get wanting the ND job, but at least coach your players through their BCS game.  Another "high class" hire by the Failin' Irish

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »
You can name an assistant interim head coach and then conduct your search at the end of the year.

By firing the coach it would send a message that you are at least attempting to right the ship.  Maybe the players would feel responsible for their coach getting the ax and step it up.  That might be a stretch though.  

In the middle of last season, Marquette's volleyball coach Patti Rolf was asked to leave resigned in the middle of the season and MU got an excellent head coach in the offseason.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »
I know football doesn't equate to basketball, but more distrubing is Brian Kelly's treatment of UC. 

You lead your team to an undefeated season and then bail on them at first chance to go to ND?
I get wanting the ND job, but at least coach your players through their BCS game.  Another "high class" hire by the Failin' Irish

I don't understand why he wouldn't stay the extra month either.

I'm not familiar with the workings of college football but what are the advantages of leaving a month early for Notre Dame?  Is this next month a big recruiting period?  Is it a important time in choosing a staff?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »
I don't understand why he wouldn't stay the extra month either.

I'm not familiar with the workings of college football but what are the advantages of leaving a month early for Notre Dame?  Is this next month a big recruiting period?  Is it a important time in choosing a staff?

Well, they are in a "dead period" right now, but it opens up again after the first of the year.  He does need to assemble he staff, evaluate his team, etc. 

Honestly I don't know why UC would even want him around knowing that he's leaving after the year anyway.  The interim head coach has been with him since his days at Grand Valley, and will likely follow him to ND if he isn't hired at UC permanently.  He'll get the job done when it comes to game planning for Florida.  And I wouldn't doubt that the interim will run stuff by Kelly informally anyway.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »

I remember when Bill Frieder took the ASU job right before the NCAA tourney. He expected to coach Michigan through the end of the year but the AD was Bo who laughed and said "a Michigan Man will coach Michigan" and told Frieder to get the F off campus.

feedback