Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What I'm looking forward to...  (Read 6157 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
What I'm looking forward to...
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:52:27 PM »
The next few weeks, Buzz essentially gets unlimited practice time with the team since classes are not in session. I know my idea that this is a "young" team has been refuted.  But there's so many new guys (even if they're not young) that I'd expect some significant improvement.

Of course, playing North Florida and Presbyterian won't really tell us if the team is getting better, but hopefully Mbao, and E Will will get some minutes, and everybody will get more used to playing together.

VwArrior1

• Starter
Re: What I'm looking forward to...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
Of course, playing North Florida and Presbyterian won't really tell us if the team is getting better, but hopefully Mbao, and E Will will get some minutes, and everybody will get more used to playing together.
Your right it wont tell us if were getting better, but hopefully it can build some confidence for the younger guys.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:16:43 PM »
they probably wont play if they dont practice well  :o

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:24:08 PM »
what I am looking forward to is next season, when we should have a very deep roster.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
what I am looking forward to is next season, when we should have a very deep roster.

+1, and no more 5'6" guards!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 08:45:08 PM »

We started 3 seniors tonight.  '...when I hope we have a deeper roster' might be appropriate, but 'should have a very deep roster' is wishful thinking at this point in time.  
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:55:50 PM »
 We started 3 seniors tonight.  '...when I hope we have a deeper roster' might be appropriate, but 'should have a very deep roster' is wishful thinking at this point in time.  

We will have serious talent upgrades at the guards with Vander Blue and Junior playing with experienced players in Buycks and DJO.  We will also have a 5th guard in Williams.

The biggest place we will have depth is an improved Otule and Mbao playing with Fulce inside. 

I actually do think we will be deeper.  Imagine having Junior and Otule now (and Liam!) and we would have a better rotation.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »
I actually do think we will be deeper.  Imagine having Junior and Otule now (and Liam!) and we would have a better rotation.

I think we'll be deeper too.  But I wouldn't say 'next year we should be very deep'.  A lot of things can change, as we have seen far too often... and we'll have a number of guys that are either coming off of major injuries and/or playing college ball for the first time. 
  'Very deep' to me would mean a 2009-2010 Minnesota type team.. where there's 11 guys (and 2 suspended players) that you can put in and out without much of a drop in level of play...

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
agreed. I'm just going on reputation on some of the guys, too. But Blue and Junior should be upgrades at guards, and a year of experience for Maymon combined with the return of Otule and the addition of Jones should add depth.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »

We will have serious talent upgrades at the guards with Vander Blue and Junior playing with experienced players in Buycks and DJO.  We will also have a 5th guard in Williams.

The biggest place we will have depth is an improved Otule and Mbao playing with Fulce inside. 

We will not have a 5th in williams. Marquette will have a 5th guard in Smith, and maybe even a 6th in jones... In actuality, it will be a 5 guard rotation with DJO, Buycks, Blue, Cadougan, Smith. It will then be a 5 forward rotation with Butler, Maymon, Fulce, Jones, Williams and a 2 player center rotation with O'tule and Mbao

Pretty good on paper, but a heck of a lot of youth and many unproven players....

This just in, if Williams doesnt begin improving very quickly he can very easily get lost on the depth chart. I say this because Buzz has shown he isnt afraid to play the "best" players and isnt afraid of a small line-up. By all accounts Blue is a stud and immedate starter, as was the case with Junior prior to injury. DJO is definitely looking like a starter and heavy minutes guy. Butler will certainly be a starter and heavy minutes guy.

So youve got Cadougan, Blue, DJO, Butler, Maymon, Buycks likely ahead of him in the rotation with one of Mbao and O'tule to surely see plenty of minutes for size reasons alone. Then you've got Jones who is supposedly very good, Fulce who is likely just a body at this point, and Smith who is a wildcard... He better improve before he rides pine for good

Looks to me as if just like this yr the teams success will be based on the abilities of the incoming talent. So far this yr, in what was supposed to be a top 10 class weve had mixed results- DJO is definitely a revelation, Maymon has plenty of upside and has shown flashes (I expected more for some reason), Buycks i have no clue about- seems like the type of guy that will show up at times and really impress, just in time to disappear the week after, Mbao has the body and agility for the future, Williams who knows

Good news is that if one of Mbao or O'tule ends up serviceable (or by some miracle good), all the team needs is about 3/5 of this yrs class and 2/4 of next yrs class to live up to its 'hype' to have a very good team.

If I was a betting man I'd say that DJO and Mbao will exceed expectations from this class, with Maymon and Buycks right at about their potential and Williams below

I know its wayyyy too early into their first seasons and a lot can change, so dont flip out that im jumping to conclusions. I am just giving my gut feeling, and I hope Im wrong about Maymon, Buycks, and especially Williams

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »
... kinda related.  I'm all for Lazar shooting whenever it's a reasonably good opportunity... but, for this year, and especially as we look ahead, we need other guys to show some swagger..

Jimmy continues to be hesitant with the outside shot and I'm OK with that for now... but, wouldn't mind seeing him try a few more from long distance.  When the kid drives or grabs an offensive rebound, it's a thing of beauty.  He's a top scorer next year, no doubt.

DJO -- obviously can score.  If he can get consistent with his offense, look out..

After that, next year... what will we have is my question.  Buycks will be a senior and I think he's capable of adding significant numbers to his scoring compared to this year... after that I think you need a Van Blue, ... Jamail.. EWill, Reggie?.. to step up and score points aggressively. 

Junior I can't wait to have running the point.. but don't expect huge points from him... Otule and Mbao I'm not looking for points from.. Fulce is capable, but I think a high single-digits is what we should look for out of him.. J-May also.

Blah.  I hate the color red.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »
...I'm all for Lazar shooting whenever it's a reasonably good opportunity... but, for this year, and especially as we look ahead, we need other guys to show some swagger..

Jimmy continues to be hesitant with the outside shot and I'm OK with that for now... but, wouldn't mind seeing him try a few more from long distance. 

From what I saw in today's game, I agree--Lazar spent too much time outside trying to set up for a 3 pointer, or to take his defender (mostly Leuer) off the dribbler. But he still doesn't seem quick enough for that, and his long bombs are almost set shots, where he needs to be perfectly placed. Still he hit a few.

Jimmy is looking almost solely to slice into the lane, just like McNeal for his soph and junior years. When he proves that he has an outside shot, he'll find more openings.

Back to the subject of the thread, what I'm looking forward to is DJO being more central to the offense. He seems to have the green light, and he's not shy about creating and taking his shot. But, I saw too many times today when DJO looked like he wanted to get a shot off near the top of the key but someone (almost always Lazar) seemed to be there, meaning there was a second defender for DJO to deal with.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »
Otule and Mbao I'm not looking for points from.. Fulce is capable, but I think a high single-digits is what we should look for out of him.. J-May also.

Having whatever 2010 Big Man Recruit that Buzz will get, Otule, Fulce, and Mbao on the court at all times will allow our players to actually play their own positions.  I really want those four to never necessary be on the court at the same time for more than a minute or two, but combine for about 35-38 minutes per game.  I don't want to see Maymon, Butler, or EWill guarding centers.  Having Burke and Mbakwe last year would have helped everyone to at least play their own positions consistently, and I never want to see Hayward and Butler playing center for 25+ minutes again.  

We need to nip this 5 guard reputation in the bud for recruiting purposes so big men don't dismiss Marquette, but rather see that Buzz will play big men and they can look out and see how they could fit in.  

What I am looking forward to is seeing Mbao play a little bit more this year.  It was nice to see him out there today, and he at least looked like he was ready to play.  He did not look scared or "like he was dropped on Mars."  He also moved his feet reasonably well.  Let's get him 5 mins a game!  This season is not over.  We have a young team who went 2-3 against other high majors with the last 12 games in the Big East winnable.  I'm also looking forward to us making a run at the NCAAs.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:35:53 PM by HoopsMalone »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 11:30:12 PM »
Having whatever 2010 Big Man Recruit that Buzz will get, Otule, Fulce, and Mbao on the court at all times will allow our players to actually play their own positions.  We need to nip this 5 guard reputation in the butt for recruiting purposes so big men don't dismiss Marquette, but rather see that Buzz will play big men and they can look out and see how they could fit in.  

Not sure what 'nip in the butt' means, but uhhh, OK.  Again, I don't think we have a guarantee that we'll see X in 2010-11 so that players can 'actually play their own positions'.  Fulce is long, but he's not tall and not a 'big man'. 
  I'm not sure about the recruiting aspect either... if I was a 7'1" guy, depending on my game, I'd like Marquette - I don't think there's a reputation of 'we don't want a tall guy playing for us - that stinks!!'.. it's that we haven't landed one we want or kept one healthy that we want.. therefore we have played small... I just don't see a kid going.. 'well, I love Marquette... but,  damn.... they are so into starting guys that are 6'7" or less only."  But then again, I'm playing nba2k10 tonight.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 11:35:04 PM »
We also have not really shown that we can take a big man and develop him into someone who can play.  Barro is the best we have had in the last 5 years.  It would probably concern me if I were a big man to not see Marquette developing big men enough to play, and we have shown that we like to run around with mostly guards. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:47:28 PM by HoopsMalone »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 12:11:44 AM »
We also have not really shown that we can take a big man and develop him into someone who can play.  Barro is the best we have had in the last 5 years.  It would probably concern me if I were a big man to not see Marquette developing big men enough to play, and we have shown that we like to run around with mostly guards. 

I'm pretty sure we have a second year coach, who started a 6'10" guy that then broke his foot... I'm pretty sure that we have a second year coach.. that used a scholarship on a 7'2" guy.  I'm pretty sure another guy had a medical condition... I am certain of this: I don't buy an argument of 'Marquette as an institution is not interested in developing big guys'... 'we' have not shown that we like to run around with mostly guards.  We have shown that we could use a big man and that is an open position. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »
My biggest concern next year is experience at the point guard position.  We won't have any, and that is problematic for the start of the season. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »
I'm looking forward to the day MU actually gets a fair shake at the Kohl Center. I know I'll be waiting for awhile.

I'm just sick and tired of all the touch fouls that don't get called on the other end. I'd love to chart out some of the calls and see who made them. I can remember one call that Hightower gave MU. Sure as hell seemed like Driscoll was the only one that knew his whistle worked on both ends.

Certainly not the reason MU lost, just frustrated by the same crap every time they play there.

Also- I'm looking forward to the day grads from UW-Satellite schools stop referring to the Badgers as "we." You didn't go to Madison, when the media clamors for that MU-River Falls matchup by all means say "we."

That felt good to get off my chest.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 11:22:58 AM »
My biggest concern next year is experience at the point guard position.  We won't have any, and that is problematic for the start of the season. 

yeah top rated freshman point guards have always shown how difficult it is to do derreck rose, kenny anderson, john wall, and the list goes on and on....even at good old Marquette.  Miller was simply terrible as a freshman, Hutchins was terrible, Diener, was terrible, cordell henry was terrible and then of course Dominic james was even the worst.  well that names the last 5 freshman point guards that were recruited ot be the man as freshman and sophomores and they all cleary failed miserably.  dditonally the only two rated as highly as Junior cadougan were Diner and James , both of who had such terrible careers and and freshman season that they were poised to break the all time scoring record before senior injuries derailed them.  Additonally they stand #2 and #3 all time in the area of assists. 

Lastly Junior has much more experience playing at the highest of levels than Diener or James did, also a year on the bench an extra year in the weight room and the ability to be training all spring and summer should put junior in abetter condition to be ready to run that team than anyone we have had in the last 20+ years.  And if all that fails we have the highest rated player to sign with Mu in the last 25 years that can play point coming in.  soory charlie wish ful thinking on us being unprepared at the point next year  Junior in aboot is better than the two we have now by a wide margin.  Put a uniform on Vander last night and we win.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 01:06:13 PM »
yeah top rated freshman point guards have always shown how difficult it is to do derreck rose, kenny anderson, john wall, and the list goes on and on....even at good old Marquette.  Miller was simply terrible as a freshman, Hutchins was terrible, Diener, was terrible, cordell henry was terrible and then of course Dominic james was even the worst.  well that names the last 5 freshman point guards that were recruited ot be the man as freshman and sophomores and they all cleary failed miserably.  dditonally the only two rated as highly as Junior cadougan were Diner and James , both of who had such terrible careers and and freshman season that they were poised to break the all time scoring record before senior injuries derailed them.  Additonally they stand #2 and #3 all time in the area of assists. 

Lastly Junior has much more experience playing at the highest of levels than Diener or James did, also a year on the bench an extra year in the weight room and the ability to be training all spring and summer should put junior in abetter condition to be ready to run that team than anyone we have had in the last 20+ years.  And if all that fails we have the highest rated player to sign with Mu in the last 25 years that can play point coming in.  soory charlie wish ful thinking on us being unprepared at the point next year  Junior in aboot is better than the two we have now by a wide margin.  Put a uniform on Vander last night and we win.

Agree with you here, most of the previous highly rated PG recruits have exceeded expectations. Also, I know Buycks is a TO machine thus far, but he has shown good vision and I really think Buzz needs to play him at the point more because Cubi and Mo are not gonna cut it.

So you think both Junior and Vander start at the 1 and 2 next season? Would you then say DJO and Butler at the 3 and 4? Maymon at the 5?

Way too small of a lineup, but probably the 5 most talented players... At this point, unless something unexpected happens, I cant see DJO, Butler, and Maymon not starting next season, so if both Junior and Vander get starting nods we might have the shortest lineup in college ball

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »
 I'm pretty sure we have a second year coach, who started a 6'10" guy that then broke his foot... I'm pretty sure that we have a second year coach.. that used a scholarship on a 7'2" guy.  I'm pretty sure another guy had a medical condition... I am certain of this: I don't buy an argument of 'Marquette as an institution is not interested in developing big guys'... 'we' have not shown that we like to run around with mostly guards.  We have shown that we could use a big man and that is an open position.  

Marquette is very interested in developing big guys.  You were only certain about one thing, and I agree with you on it.  The post is about what I'm looking forward to, and I am looking forward to a better developed Otule and Mbao, a more seasoned Fulce, and hopefully another big man project coming in as Buzz's last recruit.  I would rather not see Jimmy at the 4 and Maymon at the 5 personally.

All the things you are pretty sure about are true.  Buzz is not shunning big men.  Neither was Crean for that matter.  But when bigs get here (Grimm, Kinsella, Burke, etc.) we have not really developed them into strong contributors.  They did improve and played hard, but are not players to point to as developed successes.  They also set a lot of picks at the top of the key and get subbed out for Jimmy Butler to play inside.  That type of history does matter.

When Buzz talks to a big man, he has to probably use a "you are the missing piece and you will fit in well here" angle rather than "you can play this spot like Burke or Barro or Otule did and I think you will succeed there."  MU is not out of the running for bigs, but I would rather have something to point to rather than having to sell a kid on an idea of a post man succeeding at MU.  That is what I am looking forward to.

In contrast, Smith, Blue, and Jones can see how players like James, McNeal, and Matthews played and developed at Marquette and have a better idea of what their careers might be like. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:45:44 PM by HoopsMalone »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 01:49:41 PM »

So you think both Junior and Vander start at the 1 and 2 next season? Would you then say DJO and Butler at the 3 and 4? Maymon at the 5?

Way too small of a lineup, but probably the 5 most talented players

Those 5 are easily our best 5 if their reputations precede them.  I think you have to start Otule, Mbao, or Fulce though and have probably DJO be the 6th man.  DJO could be the instant offense off the bench we need. 

I'm personally sick of being the smallest team in any of the BCS conferences.  I would rather be small and win than big and lose, but Buzz has to start playing the big men if we want to advance the program. 

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 03:48:08 PM »
Those 5 are easily our best 5 if their reputations precede them.  I think you have to start Otule, Mbao, or Fulce though and have probably DJO be the 6th man.  DJO could be the instant offense off the bench we need. 

I'm personally sick of being the smallest team in any of the BCS conferences.  I would rather be small and win than big and lose, but Buzz has to start playing the big men if we want to advance the program. 

Agree on starting Otule or Mbao at the 5, but dont think that Fulce can play that position and would argue that Maymon would be more successful even though hes shorter. Also, if Mbao or Otule start at the 5, I see Maymon being the 6th man instead of DJO. You would then have Cadougan, Blue, DJO, Butler, Otule/Mbao starting with Maymon, Buycks, Fulce, Otule/Mbao, Jones, Smith off the bench...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »

Yeah, there is always next year; as I guess this year is already written off.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 04:44:40 PM »
Yeah, there is always next year; as I guess this year is already written off.
Well, Villanova lost to Temple today.  This could be a really topsy-turvy BE season with Syracuse and G-Town the heavy favorites right now.

feedback