[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU/UW Academically  (Read 4241 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
MU/UW Academically
« on: December 09, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »
Ok.  This is kind of a pointless topic, but I am getting sick of hearing some things.

Wisconsin is usually ranked many spots higher in US News for undergrad rankings.  Our law schools have the same disparity in rankings, and UW law alums have an easier time finding jobs if you want to leave the state.  UW has a decent MBA program and a very good Med school.  Marq has a great Dental school. 

UW offers a college town life, while MU offers am urban setting.  You can have a ton of fun at either one.  UW has more research.  MU has a liberal arts focus.  Wisconsin's name may travel to the coasts better than our name, but Catholics seem to love Marquette.

When applying for a job, UW and MU put you in the exact same place, the middle pile.  If schools were the only criteria companies used, schools like Notre Dame, Northwester, Michigan, UChicago, Stanford, UCal, and the Ivies would be in pile one.  Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Marquette, Loyola, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Miami Ohio, Fordam, SLU, etc. would be in the next pile.  Alumni contacts would give some people more priority for any school, but there is nothing about going to Wisco over MU would do to help you in many cases.  I would never meet a Wisconsin alum and think that he or she is smarter than I am like I would if I met a Michigan or Notre Dame alum. 

The point is, I am getting really sick of all the UW alums thinking that they are some how so much smarter than Marquette people.  And to be honest, I have never been talking about Marquette's academics and had a UW person tell me that I am wrong or anything, it is always them picking the fight.  It's like they feel like they need to prove something.  It does not come off like school pride, it comes off like they are offended that I do not recognize their glory and I should know my place in the world.  If I were talking to different alums from say Northwestern, I would have to accept that their school shows that they are probably smarter than I am.  But UW?  Come on...

akmarq

• Starter
Re: MU/UW Academically
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:40:24 PM »
UW is clearly far superior if you're in school to learn how to use photoshop to improve your diversity...

muole

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:45:51 AM »
UW is the better school if you like Ed Hardy shirts and Nickleback.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:44:10 AM »
now now fellas, there are plenty of douche bags at both schools.

Do a lot of UW students overhype their education?  yes.

Do a lot of MU students overhype their education?  yes.

Do you learn some 'secret' knowledge by attending either of them?  no.

Do both schools have great alumni who watch out for their own?  This is where the waters become murky... MU people tend to look out for MU people a bit more than UW people look out for UW people.  This may be because there are less MU grads than UW grads, and when you run into one, you feel like it is your duty to help out a fellow alum.  Not to say UW grads don't do this, but when UW alums run into a UW grad at every turn, they are probably less likely to help since the volume is just overwhelming.

That said, both are fine schools, and you should be proud if you attend either.

Additionally, I'd say that the people who went to those "Tier 1" schools aren't necessarily smarter.  A LOT of smart kids don't consider those schools because they want to stay close to home.  Speaking quite frankly, I could have gotten into NU, ND, UM... but I wouldn't have wanted to go there since they didn't offer what I wanted from a school.

IMO people read WAY too much into which school has better academics and which school has better this or that.  What YOU do with YOUR time there and how YOU act and carry YOURSELF after YOU graduate is what actually matters. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
Additionally, I'd say that the people who went to those "Tier 1" schools aren't necessarily smarter.  A LOT of smart kids don't consider those schools because they want to stay close to home.  Speaking quite frankly, I could have gotten into NU, ND, UM... but I wouldn't have wanted to go there since they didn't offer what I wanted from a school.

Not only are they not necessarily smarter, I don't think they are necessarily better in the workplace, etc.  I have hired a IU-Northwest grad over a Notre Dame grad.  I have hired an Elmhurst College grad over a Dartmouth grad.  (I have also hired people from the "higher rated" school...there is simply not a correlation.)

The only time it really matters where you go to school is when you are applying for grad/law/medical school, and when you are trying to get your first job.  After that, you are on your own.  (Yeah, your network might help...I have never seen much evidence of it making *that* big of a deal though.)

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »
UW is the better school if you like Ed Hardy shirts and Nickleback.
Well done. Spit up my water on the keyboard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »
Where you go is such a matter of personal comfort.   I am sure the vast majority of MU students could get into Wiscy, but went to MU because they wanted to.    UW is a fine institution, but going to a college with  40k students isn't for everyone. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 07:25:51 AM »
now now fellas, there are plenty of douche bags at both schools.

Do a lot of UW students overhype their education?  yes.

Do a lot of MU students overhype their education?  yes.

Do you learn some 'secret' knowledge by attending either of them?  no.

Do both schools have great alumni who watch out for their own?  This is where the waters become murky... MU people tend to look out for MU people a bit more than UW people look out for UW people.  This may be because there are less MU grads than UW grads, and when you run into one, you feel like it is your duty to help out a fellow alum.  Not to say UW grads don't do this, but when UW alums run into a UW grad at every turn, they are probably less likely to help since the volume is just overwhelming.

That said, both are fine schools, and you should be proud if you attend either.

IMO people read WAY too much into which school has better academics and which school has better this or that.  What YOU do with YOUR time there and how YOU act and carry YOURSELF after YOU graduate is what actually matters. 

Well said.

I agree.

LON

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »
Where you go is such a matter of personal comfort.   I am sure the vast majority of MU students could get into Wiscy, but went to MU because they wanted to.    UW is a fine institution, but going to a college with  40k students isn't for everyone. 

Exactly, like I always tell some of my buddies to get a rise out of them, "You got off the wait-list because I chose MU over UW."

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 08:57:52 AM »
I have actually been called in to interview on two occassions because MU was on my resume. Neither person attended but were impressed.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »

Not only are they not necessarily smarter, I don't think they are necessarily better in the workplace, etc.  I have hired a IU-Northwest grad over a Notre Dame grad.  I have hired an Elmhurst College grad over a Dartmouth grad.  (I have also hired people from the "higher rated" school...there is simply not a correlation.)

The only time it really matters where you go to school is when you are applying for grad/law/medical school, and when you are trying to get your first job.  After that, you are on your own.  (Yeah, your network might help...I have never seen much evidence of it making *that* big of a deal though.)

My mother used to have a rule about not hiring teachers who were A students.  She would take the B and C students over them anyday and said they generally made better teachers.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »
In a state where Dahmer and Dwade are the most notable names over the last 20 years, I am glad I went to MU.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

feedback