Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Student Section  (Read 16260 times)

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Student Section
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
Could they have been any worse for this game?  Seriously, no noise at all coming from this area.  The BC felt like the driest dullest place to ever watch a basketball game.  Nobody made any sort of noise and specifically I am referencing the first half when MU was winning.  Seriously students, wake up, get a clue.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Student Section
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:14:28 AM »
Could they have been any worse for this game?  Seriously, no noise at all coming from this area.  The BC felt like the driest dullest place to ever watch a basketball game.  Nobody made any sort of noise and specifically I am referencing the first half when MU was winning.  Seriously students, wake up, get a clue.

It think it was the weekend before exams.  Very few of the kids were drinking which could account for how chill they were for this game.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:17:13 AM »
This is the last week of classes, exams start Monday (12/14).  It was low key for whatever reason.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 09:17:44 AM »
The bradley center, for as nice as a stadium as it is, does a horrible job with the student section.  Most stadiums give students much more area closer to the court, and since it is an nba arena, it is not designed to have students on top of the players like most college arenas are.  While its a great arena for families, and can fit a ton of people, it is really a horrible arena for creating a home court atmosphere and advantage.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 09:42:28 AM »
The "exams" excuse always was and continues to be the lamest one ever.  Traditional students without jobs have more free time then they ever will for the rest of their lives. 

Even when I was in grad school and teaching, I had time for fun.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »
I think some of it has to do with the uncertainty as to whether or not the current team has the cojones to dig themselves out of a bad run.  Over the past few years, we KNEW that the big 3 could and would turn a bad run around.  It just doesn't feel like this team has the experience to do that yet, and the student section energy gets sapped as a result.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »
Sorry, but the team gave no reason for the students to cheer in the second half. And don't say "it's your duty to cheer at all times for your team...when they're down is when they need you."

it's tough to cheer when your team blows, your coach is making stupid decisions, you're exhausted from projects and exams (finals week is next week, but a ton of professors bump theirs up a week). besides, way too many alums act all high and mighty as if they were a deafening presence at every single game they went to. at least student attendance is respectable; with the exception of the Final Four year, attendance is as high as it it has ever been.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »
The bradley center, for as nice as a stadium as it is, does a horrible job with the student section.  Most stadiums give students much more area closer to the court, and since it is an nba arena, it is not designed to have students on top of the players like most college arenas are.  While its a great arena for families, and can fit a ton of people, it is really a horrible arena for creating a home court atmosphere and advantage.

That really has nothing to do with the BC, rather more with satisfying alums. I see both sides, you want to make noise and have the best seats. However, alumni I know in those sections take their seats very seriously and trading "their" seat would be like trading a child. They pay big bucks for those seats and help make the University the way it is.

Maybe I don't have the same circle of friends, but how many traditional students don't have jobs? All my friends take a heavy load, are involved in student organizations, and work. I've never worked less than 20 hours while at MU. Don't say we aren't busy.

That said, there is always time to get drunk and rowdy, not idea why it was dead.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 10:08:09 AM »

I'm so glad you brought this up.

Can we also talk about how they don't drink enough anymore?

The student's at MU now are weak.

LON

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 10:14:12 AM »
Saturday afternoon games were the hardest for me to find time to get to (unless it was a bigger conf game) since I used the afternoons to study so I could enjoy my Saturday evenings...

Think about it, if you pregame for the Saturday afternoon games you are not going to be studying Saturday night and most likely still hungover that half your Sunday is shot, not to mention the desire to watch NFL games...

TJ

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »
I think I disagree with every sentence of this post. 

The student section is very large and laid out well IMO.

Some stadiums/schools give students better seats, but certainly not most.

I don't think the design is holding us back at all.

You've obviously not been there for any real rivalry games.  The Bradley Center can get LOUD and often does.  NC State in December did not sell the place out for whatever reason and the team played terribly, combining for no real noise in the place.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:27:53 AM »
I think I disagree with every sentence of this post. 

The student section is very large and laid out well IMO.

Some stadiums/schools give students better seats, but certainly not most.

I don't think the design is holding us back at all.

You've obviously not been there for any real rivalry games.  The Bradley Center can get LOUD and often does.  NC State in December did not sell the place out for whatever reason and the team played terribly, combining for no real noise in the place.

LoL, your right, I never went to any rivalry games, just went there for 4 years and seemed to miss every single wisconsin, notre Dame, insert big east team here.  Theres no doubt that providing every student with a potential ticket is a big plus.  Most college stadiums do give students better seats, and most arenas are owned by the school and our configured to increase the noise of the student body and create a gym like atmosphere.  the bradley center is designed for an nba team, a completely different atmosphere.  If you watch a marquette game on tv, you will never see the fans while the game is in action, because they are simply seperated far from the court.  Now watch a kansas or a duke game, and notice how the students are on top of the players.

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 10:31:56 AM »
Sorry, but the team gave no reason for the students to cheer in the second half. And don't say "it's your duty to cheer at all times for your team...when they're down is when they need you."

it's tough to cheer when your team blows, your coach is making stupid decisions, you're exhausted from projects and exams (finals week is next week, but a ton of professors bump theirs up a week). besides, way too many alums act all high and mighty as if they were a deafening presence at every single game they went to. at least student attendance is respectable; with the exception of the Final Four year, attendance is as high as it it has ever been.

Did you even read my post?  I specifically mentioned how even in the first half there was no energy in the place.  In response to 2002mualum, I am not saying the student section is not as good as it once was, overall this year I have been impressed by the numbers.  For whatever reason, there was just no juice in the stands for this game. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »
Kips is right.. just watched a ton of NCAA BB this weekend and the student are on top of  the floor and palyers

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »
Did you even read my post?  I specifically mentioned how even in the first half there was no energy in the place.  In response to 2002mualum, I am not saying the student section is not as good as it once was, overall this year I have been impressed by the numbers.  For whatever reason, there was just no juice in the stands for this game. 

Fair enough.

I didn't really notice them being quiet or loud.

I just know that when MU is winning, stuff like this doesn't seem to come up. I think a lot of these types of posts are out of frustration rather than a specific insight.

Lose a couple of games, and there are usually posts like:
- The students are weak
- The arena is too big (if you could see threads from 1999)
- We can't get a big man
- X player sucks
- X player should get minutes
- X player can't dribble with his left hand etc.
- The press conference sucks
- The pregame music sucks
etc. etc.

Oh, also, to be fair, when some of these same topics come up over and over again (almost always after losses), you will get a person like me posting a cliche response like I just did. The irony palpable.

It's all the same dance, just different players.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:58:48 AM »
LoL, your right, I never went to any rivalry games, just went there for 4 years and seemed to miss every single wisconsin, notre Dame, insert big east team here.  Theres no doubt that providing every student with a potential ticket is a big plus.  Most college stadiums do give students better seats, and most arenas are owned by the school and our configured to increase the noise of the student body and create a gym like atmosphere.  the bradley center is designed for an nba team, a completely different atmosphere.  If you watch a marquette game on tv, you will never see the fans while the game is in action, because they are simply seperated far from the court.  Now watch a kansas or a duke game, and notice how the students are on top of the players.
I was in Lawrence for a Kansas game a few weeks ago and the students are in essentially all the same places we have them, except they have students behind both backboards instead of just one.  Maybe that makes the difference for you, I don't know.  Just seems like a small difference to me.  The problem was that no one was there Saturday, not the configuration of the place.  A packed Bradley can get plenty loud.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 10:59:24 AM »
besides, way too many alums act all high and mighty as if they were a deafening presence at every single game they went to. at least student attendance is respectable; with the exception of the Final Four year, attendance is as high as it it has ever been.

Amen to that!  I for one didn't attend that many games while a student... now I catch almost every one on TV.  From 1996-2000, I think I went to 10 games total...  Usually the Cincinnati and Louisville games.  I think we cared about different things then.  Most of our friends went to Rugby games during Saturday games and were more interested in going out on Friday/Thursdays than going to some UNC-Charlotte v MU game... maybe it was a Conference USA thing. 
I couldn't be more happy with where things are with our student section and attendance.   I'm also happy that as a returning alum, I'm able to enjoy an ice cold MGD with old friends in the stadium.  I think sometimes we forget about that luxury!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:03:51 AM by TomW1365 »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 10:59:57 AM »
the bradley center is designed for an nba team, a completely different atmosphere. 

False.  The Bradley Center was designed for the NHL team that never came.  And I think the opportunity to go to every home game as a student far outweighs the opportunity to be a few feet closer to the floor.  

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 11:02:56 AM »
False.  The Bradley Center was designed for the NHL team that never came.  And I think the opportunity to go to every home game as a student far outweighs the opportunity to be a few feet closer to the floor.  
I absolutely agree that every student getting a ticket is better, however, keeping the students more isolated from the court does have an adverse effect on home court advantage.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 11:04:45 AM »
the bradley center is designed for an nba team, a completely different atmosphere. 

Not even close. The Bradley Center was designed as a hockey arena. It is filled with horrible sight lines for basketball and the seating was made for a much larger hockey surface.

KipsBayEagle

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
Not even close. The Bradley Center was designed as a hockey arena. It is filled with horrible sight lines for basketball and the seating was made for a much larger hockey surface.
Whether it was designed for an nba team or a hockey team, case in point, it wasn't designed for college basketball.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
Whether it was designed for an nba team or a hockey team, case in point, it wasn't designed for college basketball.

Why should it be? Marquette isn't the money maker now, nor were we going to be when it was designed.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
The BC was a library the whole game Saturday.  Only 15,800 for a non-cupcake?  We can get that for UWBG or UWM.  There were many empty sections in the alumni areas in the lower bowl as well.  I think the MU fans made more noise in Orlando.  We did have a non-conference win streak going if anyone noticed. 

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
The BC was a library the whole game Saturday.  Only 15,800 for a non-cupcake?  We can get that for UWBG or UWM.  There were many empty sections in the alumni areas in the lower bowl as well.  I think the MU fans made more noise in Orlando.  We did have a non-conference win streak going if anyone noticed. 

I didn't notice till they flashed it up on the TV broadcast near the end of the game. I guess in the larger scheme of things, a home nonconference winning streak A) isn't that impressive when you play one, maybe two quality nonconference teams at home a year, B) Is pretty low on the radar screen/priority list of most fans.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 11:44:16 AM »
I didn't notice till they flashed it up on the TV broadcast near the end of the game. I guess in the larger scheme of things, a home nonconference winning streak A) isn't that impressive when you play one, maybe two quality nonconference teams at home a year, B) Is pretty low on the radar screen/priority list of most fans.
Well, this game wasn't true for your A or B.  Apathy is pathetic excuse with all the P&Ming about our weak home OOC schedule every year.  Do we need an excuse to cheer for a W on our home court?  Or is a game just a social event?  Winning becomes a habit.  This team is just coming together and needs the extra energy.  To not defend our home court at all costs is not a great frame of mind for fans or players...if it is the MU tradition we supposedly value and cherish.