Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A topic generates enormous response here -- so mu_hilltopper shuts it down???  (Read 7708 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
The thread under the subject line “I have never understood the change to ‘Golden Eagles’ from ‘Warriors’ ” generates an interesting and potentially important discussion and debate.

In less than 10 hours, more than 1,100 people read it and 55 -- yes, 55 -- post replies.

Oddly, mu_hilltopper responds to the flurry by shutting down the thread.

A little power misplaced. …

Or, as Thomas Fuller, an 18th-century British doctor, said, “Let not thy will roar, when they power can be a whisper.”

Compare Fuller’s wisdom with the following from mu_hilltopper: “I’m going to save everyone some time. We’re done here. Let’s all do something more productive with out lives than argue this for the 900th time.”

A surprising attitude, indeed.

A topic continues to spark tremendous discussion so a moderator slams the door on it -- and throws on a lock.

Debate is ended for the good of the people.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Debate is ended for the good of the people.

Inaccurate

Arguing about the nickname is about as productive as debating religion or politics.  Nobody cares what your opinion is unless they agree with you.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

reinko

• All American
Inaccurate

Arguing about the nickname is about as productive as debating religion or politics.  Nobody cares what your opinion is unless they agree with you.

+1

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Inaccurate

But so what...it's a discussion, is it not? It's obviously a hot-button issue, even though we've been told for years it'll soon be forgotten.

Newsflash. It will not soon be forgotten. It's as absurd today as it was in 1994.

GGGG

• All American
But so what...it's a discussion, is it not? It's obviously a hot-button issue, even though we've been told for years it'll soon be forgotten.

Newsflash. It will not soon be forgotten. It's as absurd today as it was in 1994.

Yeah...why not just move it to the Superbar?  It seems a little heavy handed to shut down a topic that is generating responses.  When I complained about the constant Buzz v. Crean threads, I got a "well you can always ignore the thread" response.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
Come on down MU Ave, you are the newest victim of the ignore button.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
I think the easiest solution would be to create "official threads" for each topic in the superbar and let people discuss it there.

Doesn't clog up the board, and if that discussion gets too heated, lock it up for a few days and let people cool off before it gets unlocked.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
It's a 15 year old discussion, and the last time the board of trustees decided to address it, the nickname was changed to an inanimate color for a week.

Let it go, Avenue.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
I think that MU_Hilltopper is power-hungry.  He locks popular threads to show off that power.

In retaliation I think that we should all stop posting in this thread.  If it never becomes popular then we won't give MU_Hilltopper the satisfaction of locking it.  That'll really get MU_H good, like a nut-shot to his internet-ego!

Hards Alumni

• All American
I think that MU_Hilltopper is power-hungry.  He locks popular threads to show off that power.

In retaliation I think that we should all stop posting in this thread.  If it never becomes popular then we won't give MU_Hilltopper the satisfaction of locking it.  That'll really get MU_H good, like a nut-shot to his internet-ego!

awesome post.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys

+1.  Couldn't agree more.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Umm guys.. wrong.  I've met mu_hilltopper and I can assure you he is not power-hungry.  He IS power.  The guy sparks every time he moves.  ConEd comes to him when they're a little short for the day.  Superman pays him rent.

In other words, he doesn't NEED to flex anything.  He locked it, it was a fine call, move along.   8-)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

4everwarriors

• All American
It's a 15 year old discussion, and the last time the board of trustees decided to address it, the nickname was changed to an inanimate color for a week.

Let it go, Avenue.

Correction:
The Board endorsed Crean's mastermind idea of MU Gold.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior87

• All American
BRING BACK BLEUTEAUX!!!

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Sorry to belabor the point, but I do want to add something.

MU Avenue, you maligned those of us who refer to MU as the Warriors, suggesting we were tarnishing our school.  That's your opinion, naturally, and the opposite is believed by many.  You said your peace, it's still there, and was debated for the 600th time, due to you bringing the wood and matches to the bonfire.

Now you've cried that I'm "power hungry" because I locked the thread.  

Thanks.

Two things:

1. We do our best.  We will not make all of the people happy all of the time.  I think we are wildly successful.

2. If you're not happy with the board's moderation, please feel free to find another board where you can insult people and be so accepted.  

muwarrior87

• All American

bma725

• All American
;D

Did you just laugh at your own joke less than 5 minutes after making it?  Wow.

muwarrior87

• All American
Hilltopper made such a quick reply that i didn't want it getting lost in the shuffle. Make fun if you will.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Did you just laugh at your own joke less than 5 minutes after making it?  Wow.

At least he didn't +1 himself.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Inaccurate

+1
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Lennys Tap

• All American
One reason this discussion won't go away is that it's about something much more important than a college nickname. Protecting the "victims" of our evil and mean spirited society has morphed into a quasi-religion in which common sense is routinely sacrificed on the PC altar. It seemed benign enough (even silly to some) when college nicknames were the targets. But now it seeps into real life to the point that our most traditional of institutions (the US Army) ignores a terrorist in their midst for fear of stepping on diversity's toes.

Sorry if this is "political" but politics is what this debate has always been about. Changing from a really cool nickname to such a lame one was only the result.

Hards Alumni

• All American
One reason this discussion won't go away is that it's about something much more important than a college nickname. Protecting the "victims" of our evil and mean spirited society has morphed into a quasi-religion in which common sense is routinely sacrificed on the PC altar. It seemed benign enough (even silly to some) when college nicknames were the targets. But now it seeps into real life to the point that our most traditional of institutions (the US Army) ignores a terrorist in their midst for fear of stepping on diversity's toes.

Sorry if this is "political" but politics is what this debate has always been about. Changing from a really cool nickname to such a lame one was only the result.

you really just said that?

countdown until this is locked...

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
I think that MU_Hilltopper is power-hungry.  He locks popular threads to show off that power.

In retaliation I think that we should all stop posting in this thread.  If it never becomes popular then we won't give MU_Hilltopper the satisfaction of locking it.  That'll really get MU_H good, like a nut-shot to his internet-ego!

Top-10 post of the year.

reinko

• All American

Quite possibly the most idiotic post I have ever read on this board. 

feedback