[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Rosiak on Saunders Commitment  (Read 3072 times)

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Rosiak on Saunders Commitment
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:13:11 PM »
Rosiak on the Saunders Commitment

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=527989

Forward commits to join MU next season
By TODD ROSIAK
trosiak@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Nov. 7, 2006

Technically speaking, the Marquette Golden Eagles have already filled their 2007-'08 recruiting.

Still, that didn't stop Damian Saunders, a 6-foot-7, 210-pound forward from Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, Mass., from committing to play for MU beginning next season.

The Golden Eagles already have their available allotment of three scholarships earmarked for guard Scott Christopherson and forwards Trevor Mbakwe and Patrick Hazel.

But there are a few scenarios in which a scholarship could open up after the season, including the possibility sophomore guard Dominic James will leave early for the National Basketball Association.

Saunders, who said Tuesday that he wasn't concerned about the scholarship situation, took an official visit to MU over the Halloween weekend. He was scheduled to visit Big East rival Providence, but canceled before giving Marquette the nod.

"I just liked the vibe," Saunders said of MU. "I liked how the coaches give extra help to the players, and how the players treated me when I got there. It felt like another home."

Saunders averaged 26 points, 12 rebounds and six blocks per game last season as a senior at Crosby High School in Waterbury, Conn.

He matriculated to Notre Dame Prep - where current MU forward Lazar Hayward played last season - to help improve his academic standing and will play there this season.

In Saunders, the Golden Eagles are getting a versatile player who one source said "is a 3 but plays like a 4."

"I can play down low but I can also play on the perimeter. I'm very athletic," Saunders said when asked how he saw himself fitting in with fellow newcomers Mbakwe and Hazel. "They said I'll probably be more of a 3. I've just got to work more on my shot and my ball-handling skills."

A distant cousin of former Connecticut Huskies forward Edmund Saunders, Damian Saunders was also being recruited by Tennessee and New Mexico State.

MU could have Saunders' letter of intent on hand, along with those of Christopherson, Mbakwe and Hazel, as early as today, which is the beginning of the fall signing period.

Until those letters are received, coach Tom Crean is unable to comment on any of MU's recruits.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

feedback