Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: That was Sweet!  (Read 9695 times)

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
That was Sweet!
« on: November 26, 2009, 03:35:56 PM »
Maybe they are little better than I thought they were.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: That was Sweet!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:40:40 PM »
Jordan Crawford was taken out of it completely.
Love dominated like he should have.
Could've been a different story if they just pounded it inside.
Young coach's mistake (Xavier), I think.

Gonna be different against UM. Really athletic, long...but if the Creighton game was any indication, Michigan can be handled inside.
SS Marquette

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
How do we attack Beilein's 1-3-1?

LA

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »
At least Michigan won't have 3 huge players down low.

Obviously Lazar and Jimmy played well but how about Mo Acker really stepping up in the second half. He played pretty well and will need to continue all season if we have any chance at finishing higher than 12 in the BE

jenningstoMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:47:00 PM »
awesome game! turkey time

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »
At least Michigan won't have 3 huge players down low.

Obviously Lazar and Jimmy played well but how about Mo Acker really stepping up in the second half. He played pretty well and will need to continue all season if we have any chance at finishing higher than 12 in the BE

Was going to post this to the thread that got locked.  As big of Mo critic as I am, he was fantastic.  A noticeable difference when he was in the game.  Excellent at running the break after the turnovers, many which he helped force.  Honorable mention SOTG behind Hayward.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 04:34:40 PM »
What was the line on today's game?

Thanks.

Such a nice win!   ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
MU minus 5.5

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 04:38:25 PM »
5 & 5 1/2 depending on who's book you were looking at.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »
5 & 5 1/2 depending on who's book you were looking at.

Actually Xavier was the favorite (-5.5)

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
Outside a few defensive lapses, I thought Jeronne played his best game as a Warrior today.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 05:19:28 PM »
Outside a few defensive lapses, I thought Jeronne played his best game as a Warrior today.

He did not hurt the team today and played his role, but not one point and only taking one shot.  Five rebounds and a block shot.  Nice job and he is learning.

With Maymon and Fulce not scoring any points that left only six MU players scoring today.  A basket here and there by them would be help out. 

Marq

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 05:23:22 PM »

Most definitely, looked like he was rebounding with some authority on the defensive end. Just wish they would toss him the ball, once or twice, when he has good position on the block.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 05:54:48 PM »
Most definitely, looked like he was rebounding with some authority on the defensive end. Just wish they would toss him the ball, once or twice, when he has good position on the block.

Agreed that this was Maymon's best game yet, and actually thought he was critical in the turn around that took place in the second half when MU went down something like 53-49..he had a lot to do with consecutive turn overs, grabbed a tough board, and made a deflection or two on some help defense, which lead to MU fast breaks and conversions.

Fast break points/defense, like last year..will be MU's formula for winning again.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
It's gotta be the road shoes.  Those looked better than the home whites.

Couple things I noticed. 
- We had our runs when we got in there for rebounds, both offensively and defensively.  When we had only one guy crashing the boards (or none at times), we were falling apart. 
- The defensive pressure was better than I expected considering we looked very poor against the early cupcakes.  But we did what pomeroy's numbers may have predicted (X doesn't force turnovers much - thus our advantage). 
- We continued to shoot the ball well.  Even better than expected, and vastly improved their shot selection from previous games (so it appeared).  I'm guessing that that'd have something to do with having to make better choices due to the better defense.
- Maymon is growing.  The more he's out there, the more confidence he gains.  He didn't "take plays off" as much as it has appeared he has in the past.  Early on, he would watch the play instead of getting in position to make a play.  That will fade even more in the coming weeks. 

On Buzz's coaching (hard to tell what's actually going on in his mind from in front of my tv):
- I like that he, or Lazar, kept attacking Love.  Let him get his blocks.  Make him run the court.  Get him tired. Which seemed to happen.
- Nice work on substitutions.  It seemed that he got guys in there that could get steals when X had a line up more prone to turnovers. 
- Also on substitutions, way to trust Lazar out there and sub him in/out over the last couple minutes for the offense/defense side. 

Great game. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 07:31:11 PM »
On the sideline in Orlando, Buzzman absolutely ripped 3 players:  JM, Mo, and DJO as they came out after boneheaded plays.  He put all back in and all got the message.  What was seen on TV was the ripping.  What wasn't seen was Buzz sliding down he bench to tell them what they did wrong.  Buzz's best coaching game.  What I liked best 2nite was that this was Aki's scouting game.  Buzz had him involved every
minute and time out...bringing his assistant along.  We have a keeper.! He even hugged Strong pre and post game!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:34:42 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 08:15:29 PM »
Always a good idea to show the moneyman some love.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 08:29:18 PM »
hey, where'd XavierNation12 go?

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2009, 11:09:52 PM »
It was impressive to watch the level of trust that Buzz has in Lazar when he was playing with 4 fouls.

A couple other points:

- DJO is going to be a stud, can shoot, athletic and has a good handle.
- Acker and Cubi deserve a lot more love on these boards as they both can play, just not to the level of the big three; which IMHO is a tall order.
- I really like that Buzz has gotten some guys that are fundamentally sound basketball players (DJO, Zar, JB, DB)
- Maymon wasn't a stud by any means but is showing that he can quickly adapt

What I enjoyed the most is the drop off in play from last to this year was not nearly as significant as we all had expected.  This seems like a team that will always bring the effort needed for a W even if they are outmatched, and therefore will beat teams that don't bring their "A" game

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2009, 11:33:54 PM »
I was amazed at how poised this team was - whether down, or leading.  For a team that has really only played 4 games together, very impressive.

Go Marquette!!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »
Call me crazy, but I think our depth was a factor today. It just seemed like X wore down as the game went on. Some other thoughts:
-I Expected to be beaten on the glass... 21 off reb is still too many. The 20 turnovers forced were huge.
-DB and DJO did not have great shooting nights. We'll need them to score more, Zar can't be depended on for 27 every night.
-Thought the defense was very good for the most part. Were a few bad/silly turnovers from this being a 15 point win. Ball pressure on the guards made the entry pass difficult. That was huge in negating their height advantage.
-South Dakota could prove to be a big game for them in terms of preparation. They threw a 1-3-1 at MU for stretches on Tuesday.
-They could have folded after a couple turnovers/bad calls, but they showed some big time giblets and held strong.

Great team win!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 08:50:48 AM »
-They could have folded after a couple turnovers/bad calls, but they showed some big time giblets and held strong.

Great team win!

That was the most impressive part. Their resilience was amazing. Many games, a team would've gotten down when things didn't go there way. Not these guys. Impressive. Looking forward to today's game.

feedback