[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One/two and done- Who's next?  (Read 9828 times)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
One/two and done- Who's next?
« on: November 22, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »
Dwyane Wade was our last player to leave with a year left of eligibility for the NBA.  Outside of D-James testing the waters after his freshman season, we haven't had a player considered to be in that league.  In an ideal world, we would have a player on our roster that many consider ready for the NBA in their Freshman-Junior season.  If players played out their eligibility with programs like UNC, Memphis, Kansas they would dominate... so I guess that works to MU's advantage come tourney time.  
I remember one person mentioning DJO to be a one and done quality talent.  So far, we haven't seen anything to give us that impression.  Can Vander Blue be that good?  Is a player on our current roster a year or two away from being on an NBA roster?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 02:16:14 PM by TomW1365 »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: One/two and done- Who's next?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 02:50:02 PM »
Who the hell told you DJO could go 1 and done? You need to check who you keep as friends.

We just need to recruit good players, its not our coaches job to worry about the NBA.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

jenningstoMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:18:28 PM »
i remember that too. it was reported on this board

GOO

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »
It was discussed and reported re DJO going early.  By whom, I have no idea. 

My guess is that no one is going early next year, but maybe by Junior year I could see Mbao or E. Williams as players that have a shot at going early, if they develop a LOT (I am not saying I think they are going early, I am just answering the question and saying I think they have the best shot of the guys I've seen).  I like E. Williams a lot, and Buzz maybe tough on him, but I bet Buzz sees a player that is very long, has a nice shot with great extension, is athletic, move well, very smooth..., and thus a guy with a real high ceiling that needs to be pushed to develop his full potential.  If EWill buys in, and works hard, I think he has the highest ceiling of anyone on the roster right now.
 Mbao has some nice skills and can shoot a little.  He is just so weak that he won't be able to do much this year... in two years, if he works hard and gets stonger and puts on some weight, he'll be a player.  For a freshman center, he already has a nice jumper and good hands, and he can haul it up and down the court like a small forward.  Again a high ceiling, not a 7'2" still for sure.   

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:47:52 PM »
Not saying DJO will or will not leave early...but every one needs to keep in mind that we have seen nowhere near his best as he is basically a month behind everyone else in all aspects.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »
It was discussed and reported re DJO going early.  By whom, I have no idea.  

My guess is that no one is going early next year, but maybe by Junior year I could see Mbao or E. Williams as players that have a shot at going early, if they develop a LOT (I am not saying I think they are going early, I am just answering the question and saying I think they have the best shot of the guys I've seen).  I like E. Williams a lot, and Buzz maybe tough on him, but I bet Buzz sees a player that is very long, has a nice shot with great extension, is athletic, move well, very smooth..., and thus a guy with a real high ceiling that needs to be pushed to develop his full potential.  If EWill buys in, and works hard, I think he has the highest ceiling of anyone on the roster right now.
 Mbao has some nice skills and can shoot a little.  He is just so weak that he won't be able to do much this year... in two years, if he works hard and gets stonger and puts on some weight, he'll be a player.  For a freshman center, he already has a nice jumper and good hands, and he can haul it up and down the court like a small forward.  Again a high ceiling, not a 7'2" still for sure.  

What has shown you Mbao has a good shot and hands?  I've seen virtually nothing from him but lapses on both sides of the court and 1/2 at the free throw line.  Sure he has potential, but he needs a tremendous amount of work to even be ready to play college ball.  

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »
Who the hell told you DJO could go 1 and done? You need to check who you keep as friends.

We just need to recruit good players, its not our coaches job to worry about the NBA.

Now that's a no sh*t sherlock comment if I've ever seen one.  Where in my question did I suggest that's it's our coaches job to worry about the NBA.  Quite frankly, if we actually recruit players that are in the "NBA ready" conversation, I'll be happy.  I'm just wondering who MUScoopers think is the next big time talent.  
It's interesting that some one brought up MBao... didn't see that one coming.  I hope you're right.  

With Wade, Diener, Novak and Matthews in the NBA, I was wondering... Has there ever been another time in Marquette's history where we have four or more alumni on a roster?  1978-1980?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:39:33 PM by TomW1365 »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 04:22:18 PM »
this is an interesting topic, lay off the guy... on this team i would say i dont see anyone going early

if i had to pick Id go with maymon, although i think he will have a bit of the Alando Tucker curse, if u can call it that, where he is stuck in the post and his shot suffers- he may be too short to be an NBA power forward even though he is plenty built, so he has to develop a consistent jumper. I wouldnt at all mind a 4 yr career like Alando's though, even on a smaller scale

my next option would be Ewill because of his body, esp if he can develop an outside shot. then yous again because of body type, but he also has tons of work

from talking to a buddy of mine who played ball at a D3 wisc school and follows hs ball in the state, he feels the answer is definitely Vander Blue- he doesnt think he will be one and done, or perhaps maybe not even after his soph season, but can def see him gone after his 3rd yr... Ill take his word and say Blue

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
Dwyane Wade was our last player to leave with a year left of eligibility for the NBA.

Wade had two years left, IIRC.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »
VB
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 04:33:19 PM »
Wade had two years left, IIRC.

You dont remember correctly

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »

You dont remember correctly

Um, yes he does.  His prop 48 year (or whatever it was called) did not use up a year of eligibility.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 04:45:02 PM »
no one on the current roster seems to be a candidate for an immediate Big East dominance, let alone a quick jump to the NBA.

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 04:47:12 PM »
This may be a slippery slope type comment considering we don't have verbal and he's not on our current roster:

Class of 2011... Wayne Blackshear is my pick... if he comes to Marquette!
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=56351&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d56351

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Wayne-Blackshear-76520
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 04:55:07 PM by TomW1365 »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
Um, yes he does.  His prop 48 year (or whatever it was called) did not use up a year of eligibility.

Yes it did.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 05:04:45 PM »
Yes it did.

If Wade was on track to graduate after 4 years he would have been rewarded with another year of eligibility.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »

If Wade was on track to graduate after 4 years he would have been rewarded with another year of eligibility.

Fair enough.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 05:06:07 PM »
Yes it did.

No, it didn't. 

Wade was a partial qualifier, and the old partial qualifier rule allowed you to gain back the year that you lost by sitting out, assuming you could show significant academic progress in your first 4 years of school. 

Through his first 3 years, Wade was at an academic level that would have easily shown that progress and his appeal to the NCAA would have been seen by them as a no brainer.  So if he wanted it, he could have had two more years, not one.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
Maymon does not have the hops to be a pro. In fact if Buzz is any kind of recruiter, I do not think Maymom ever starts at MU. Mbao right now will need all four years and should have been red shirted this year. At 6-1 DJO is too small to play the 2g in the pros. Eric Williams has enough athleticism to have a chance. Maymon has the higher basketball IQ, but Williams is more athletic. My guess would be Vander Blue.

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »
This may be a slippery slope type comment considering we don't have verbal and he's not on our current roster:

Class of 2011... Wayne Blackshear is my pick... if he comes to Marquette!
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=56351&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d56351

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Wayne-Blackshear-76520

that kid looks phenominal- halfway through the video u can hear someone in the crowd yelling "dwyane wade" as he pulls up for a mid range jumper haha

whats the deal with him? do we have a legit crap?? anything to report BMA?  :)

its pretty amazing that we can even dream about bringing in kids like this

nyg

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
that kid looks phenominal- halfway through the video u can hear someone in the crowd yelling "dwyane wade" as he pulls up for a mid range jumper haha

whats the deal with him? do we have a legit crap?? anything to report BMA?  :)

its pretty amazing that we can even dream about bringing in kids like this

Supposedly Blackshear wants to play college ball with his AAU teamate PF Mike Shaw, in a package deal.  Both are top 50 players.  Illinois is the leader right now.

On a side note, they both played on the same AAU team with our new 2010 PG recruit Smith.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 05:34:27 PM »
Supposedly Blackshear wants to play college ball with his AAU teamate PF Mike Shaw, in a package deal.  Both are top 50 players.  Illinois is the leader right now.

On a side note, they both played on the same AAU team with our new 2010 PG recruit Smith.

Where have you seen that IL is the leader?

Blackshear stated that UL was the leader in early September, and the pair went to DePaul's Midnight Madness.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
What would be so bad with taking Blackshear and Shaw?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

nyg

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »
Where have you seen that IL is the leader?

Blackshear stated that UL was the leader in early September, and the pair went to DePaul's Midnight Madness.

Read it recently, but cannot recall the site. I'll try to locate and if I find, I'll attach.  It mentioned the outstanding class Illinois has coming in next year(2010), Bruce Weber starting to get the Chicago kids and if those two committed, then Illinois would be loaded over the next few years. 

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 05:50:01 PM »

hopefully its not an ominous sign, but i meant do we have a legit chance, NOT do we have a legit crap :)

well Id like to think that he would shy away from UofI because they have recruited plenty of shooting guards with richardson, paul, and head, all 4 stars, but weve got VB coming and hes a 5 star...

talk about dreaming, that shaw kid is a 6'8 PF and to get those two kids would be absolutely incredible....backcourt of DJO, Jr, VB, Smith, Blackshear with wings Maymon, Jones, Ewill, and post players in Otule, Mbao, Shaw- now THAT is a stacked final 4 contender...... make it happen Buzz!

feedback