'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [GoMarquette.com] BIG EAST Preseason Team, Coaches' Poll Released  (Read 3244 times)

GoMarquetteSays

BIG EAST Preseason Team, Coaches' Poll Released

Senior Lazar Hayward was one of six players selected to the 2009-10 Preseason All-BIG EAST First Team, while Marquette was picked to finish 12th in the 16-team league it was announced Wednesday at the conference's annual men's basketball media day at Madison Square Garden.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/102109aaa.html

MARQKC

• Starter
Re: [GoMarquette.com] BIG EAST Preseason Team, Coaches' Poll Released
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »
Call me nuts, but I'm going out on a limb and bet we'll do better than 12th. We sure as heck ought to do better than No. 11 St. John's.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 11:09:38 AM »
Call me nuts, but I'm going out on a limb and bet we'll do better than 12th. We sure as heck ought to do better than No. 11 St. John's.

While I hope you are correct, I have a hard time agreeing. Looking at our PG situation, youth, and inexperience, I juts have a hard time finding where the wins are gonna come from.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:56:25 AM »
Looking at our PG situation

I'm not gonna' be quite as bold as Murff and claim Acker is no drop off from DJ, but we really don't have a "PG situation".

We have an exprienced senior in Mo that has proven he can avoid turning the ball over, and set guys up to score.  He's not gonna' drive and dish like DJ, but from last year (and even MM), he's show he can hit the 3-ball pretty well which will force other teams to keep a defender on him.

Further, Buycks looks like he can provide some PG minutes in backup (perhaps even starting eventually), and provide more explosiveness.  He claims to be able to hit the 3 as well.

People keep mentioning DJO as a possible PG too, though everything I hear he sounds like more of a 2 (with his strength).  Nonetheless, if he has a decent handle, there's a potential 3rd PG backup.

Add in Cubillan, who can play the point too (even if it's not his natural position), and we've got 4 potential PGs - even with our "star" PG missing.

If that's a PG "situation" - I'll take it!  Youth and inexperience, well, those are potential concerns...but the PG spot is the least of my concerns.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
I'll go a step further, I think Mo will average 8 to 10 points and assists per game and we will finish in the top ten in the BEAST.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:12:15 PM »
I think we will be in last place after our first four games and then the climb in standings begin.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:06:23 PM »

If that's a PG "situation" - I'll take it!  Youth and inexperience, well, those are potential concerns...but the PG spot is the least of my concerns.

And I'll tell you your crazy. Unless that experience senior has added 4 inches and 20 lbs. in the off-season, we have a PG situation. First off, there are two ends to a basketball court. Acker may be able to handle the ball and pass, but he cannot get to the basket, and will simply be too easy to defend. Defensively he will be a liability more often than not.

Cubillan can play PG? He hasn't demonstrated that he can play 2G let alone PG.

After that you have a couple fresh faces that by no accounts are PGs.

Scottie Reynolds, Deonta Vaughn, Corey Fischer, Kemba Walker, Edgar Sosa, Chris Wright...Just some of the PGs MU will face on a daily basis.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 01:29:57 PM »
Scottie Reynolds, Deonta Vaughn, Corey Fischer, Kemba Walker, Edgar Sosa, Chris Wright...Just some of the PGs MU will face on a daily basis.

Ok,worry all you want.  I'm more concerned about the 2,3, & 5 positions.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »
Great recognition for a wonderful player in Hayward who may be overlooked by some in the media because of the shadow of the three guards last year but not overlooked by those whose opinions matter most: opposing coaches.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 01:36:42 PM »
I can see both sides

In 2005, we had zero players projected first team all-Big East and a bunch of good Freshmen coming in, plus coming off two NIT appearances.  Yet we finished tied for 4th despite being picked for 12th.

In 2009, we have 1 all-Big East first team player (Hayward) and a bunch of good Freshmen coming in, plus coming off 4 straight NCAA appearances....we're picked for 12th.

Those that feel we will be a top 8 team, I get it.  Those that feel we will be 12th, I get it, too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 12:08:16 AM »
I think we will be in last place after our first four games and then the climb in standings begin.

Definitely possible