'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Junior Lomomba  (Read 10544 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Junior Lomomba
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 09:31:46 PM »
what would be the odds of having 2 dudes on the same team with the name Junior?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 09:39:28 PM »
If only they were both Junior Williams :)

MrRivals150

• Scholarship Player
  • MARQ bball, the real bball team of the state
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 09:54:09 PM »

Said he just wants his players to be happy with where they choose college and he knows Vander couldn't be happier. 

Said Bo should think about going back to Platteville now that he is recruiting against Buzz

this is hilarious, if it's true
Clay for Heisman 2010, Buzz for Recruiter of the year

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 10:07:12 PM »
Great chance to see Blue and Junior play a quality opponent.  Saturday, December 19 At Al McGuire Center
8:30 p.m. – Milwaukee King vs. Madison Memorial 

Junior was a starter last year as a freshmen, so it will be interesting to see how he continue to grow with Blue and then without Blue

I'm guessing the 8:30pm start is an estimate since as of right now the women's team tips off against UW-GB at 7 that night.  Either way, with a men's game that day, it'll be a basketball filled day for me.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:54 PM »
From a WisconsinSJ article:

"While Lomomba often spends time with Auriantal, he lives in Madison with his legal guardian Daphne Maymon, Jeronne's aunt."

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 10:34:58 PM »
WISCONSIN STATE JOURNAL

Quote:
Even with a pair of Division I basketball recruits drawing most of the attention at Madison Memorial, it's nearly impossible not to notice the lanky, agile and athletic 6-foot-4 freshman adeptly playing his role on the same court.

He gets to loose balls. He jumps over opposing players for rebounds. He even knows where to stand and where to move when the basketball isn't in his hands.

Simply put, Junior Lomomba always seems to be in the right place at the right time.

"He's got a high basketball IQ for a young player, and I hear he's a gym rat," said Verona senior Jason Ziemer, a second-team all-state selection last season.

"I think he's the real deal."

Lomomba, 15, moved to Madison from Montreal, Canada, in 2007 with the help of his uncle, former University of Wisconsin basketball player Hennssy Auriantal.

A Canadian citizen, Lomomba came here for a better education and to improve his basketball skills in the hope of playing at the college level and professionally someday.

"Basketball is an opportunity to go to college, and also a chance to play basketball for a chance to go to the NBA," said Lomomba, who is fluent in English and French and said he earned a 4.0 grade-point average his first semester.

Upon arrival, Lomomba struck up a friendship with Memorial senior and Marquette-bound Jeronne Maymon — who also works on his skills with Auriantal in the Wisconsin Force youth program — and later junior and UW-bound Vander Blue.

That shouldn't come as a surprise considering Lomomba loves basketball — even more than he enjoys watching his favorite movie, "Love and Basketball."

Lomomba loves the game so much he worked overtime to learn English as a youngster in Canada because his dream was to come to the United States and play in the NBA. And he works as hard in the classroom as he does in the gym.

"I want to go to the NBA," Lomomba says, flashing a kid-friendly smile. "That was the same thing for Hennssy. He had a couple tryouts and he didn't make it. I know how hard he worked, and I just want to work even harder to get there."

Leaving home, of course, wasn't easy for Lomomba, who starts and averages 12.6 points per game for perennial powerhouse Memorial (5-0). He misses his parents and four sisters back home, and sometimes Lomomba gets a bit down on himself.

But he also knows he left behind a tough environment, a neighborhood in which some of his childhood friends ended up running with the wrong crowd.

Just how tough is the old neighborhood?

"Let me put it this way," said Auriantal, who moved here from Montreal in 1995 when he was 17. "It's tough that if you're in with the wrong crowd, you might not even be alive. A couple of Junior's friends have died since he's been here and one of them is in jail right now for killing somebody."

Friendly bond

While Lomomba often spends time with Auriantal, he lives in Madison with his legal guardian Daphne Maymon, Jeronne's aunt.

Because he attended eighth grade at Toki Middle School — which feeds into Memorial — and established an attendance pattern there before reaching the high school level, Lomomba is eligible to compete in sports for Memorial per WIAA rules.

Lomomba's friendship with Jeronne Maymon formed when he came here to visit in 2005 and 2006 to scope things out.

Ever since, they've been as tight as Memorial's man-to-man trapping defense.

"When he first got down here and we started working out, he was real quiet. Shy, not very talkative," Maymon, the reigning state player of the year, said of Lomomba. "Now he's just goofy, and talks a little bit too much.

"Right now as a freshman, he has the skill level and the mind-set to skyrocket. ... The kid, he's going to be something special."

Lomomba, who has a 33-inch vertical jump, was certainly special in spurts in Memorial's 68-55 victory over Verona on Dec. 11. After a sluggish first half by the Spartans, Lomomba broke a 29-29 tie with a nifty dribble drive and ensuing three-point play in the third quarter. He added a few more inside baskets in the period and Memorial never looked back.

Maymon had 24 points and 15 rebounds while Blue scored 19 points in the victory. All along, Lomomba patiently kept moving without the basketball and never forced the issue. Still, he finished with 13 points.

Lomomba, in fact, has been about as consistent as one could possibly be this season. He's scored in double figures in each game with point totals of 10, 13, 14, 13 and 13.
"I think it helps that there's not a lot of pressure on him to have to perform," Memorial coach Steve Collins said. "You have to put the third- or fourth-best defender on him. And that's a blessing that we have. We're so talented that he doesn't have to go out and score 25 and get 15 rebounds for us to be successful."

New home improvement

Lomomba is so obsessed with improving he'll watch tape after tape of his previous games. He'll grab a spot on the floor, a handful of waffles in one hand and the remote control in the other, and review every play — especially the bad ones.

"Sometimes, I make some mistakes that I can control," Lomomba said. "Like not catching the ball or not making the right pass at the right moment. It bothers me, yeah. Most of the time I watch (film) by myself. Sometimes I say bad things. A lot of bad things."

And when he wants to turn his frustration into fulfillment, he'll ask his uncle for help. And off to the gym they'll go.
"He's got my work ethic," Auriantal said of Lomomba. "He works really hard and he's dedicated in his academics. And he's a perfectionist. He wants to do everything right."

Lomomba said he's slowly seeing some colleges starting to show interest in his skills. But he's just concerned about getting better. "Hennssy says everything will take care of itself," Lomomba said.

Lomomba goes back to Montreal a few times per year — for the holidays, a week or so in the summer and on spring break.

"It's a lot harder than I thought it would be," Lomomba said of being away from his family. "Not living with my mother, my sisters. But I always talk to them at night."

Other than that, Lomomba says he's enjoying Madison more and more every day.

And basketball? Yeah, he's enjoying that, too.

"In Canada, there's a lot of good players," Lomomba said. "But they don't go hard like they do here. I've already gotten better."

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 01:08:09 AM »
what would be the odds of having 2 dudes Canadians on the same team with the name Junior?

See edit.  Even greater odds.

feedback