Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Badger Meltdown  (Read 16432 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Badger Meltdown
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 11:54:01 PM »
They should all be forced to read this, at least the ones over there that really have no understanding of academics and athletics. 

"Many schools routinely used a special admissions process to admit athletes who did not meet the normal entrance requirements. More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, Texas A&M University and Louisiana State University were special admits."

http://www.newhaven.edu/news-events/27084.pdf

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 12:09:35 AM »
I think its hilarious that they think Blue didn't go there because he was scared of the academics. Stanford, Duke, Georgetown, UCLA, Notre Dame, Virginia, USC, UNC, Michigan, Wake, BC and Georgia Tech are all ranked ahead of Wisconsin academically and all get highly athletic kids.

I also think its hilarious that they think they are a Top 15 program nationally, that's just funny. There are at least 20 programs that are hands down better, and a number of other programs that are about on equal footing.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »
They should all be forced to read this, at least the ones over there that really have no understanding of academics and athletics. 

"Many schools routinely used a special admissions process to admit athletes who did not meet the normal entrance requirements. More than half of scholarship athletes at the University of Georgia, the University of Wisconsin, Clemson University, UCLA, Rutgers University, Texas A&M University and Louisiana State University were special admits."

http://www.newhaven.edu/news-events/27084.pdf

But UW is a "public ivy!" UW would NEVER compromise the University's academic integrity for anyone! Especially an athlete! Besides, the real money is in research grants!!!

Entertaining.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 12:17:01 AM »

But UW is a "public ivy!" UW would NEVER compromise the University's academic integrity for anyone! Especially an athlete! Besides, the real money is in research grants!!!

Entertaining.

+10000

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 12:58:33 AM »
I can't believe I went over there and read about 8 pages of the key thread.  Let's be fair though: more than 50% of the people did not bash Marquette and simply said they were disappointed.

Most common things said from the minority of misinformed people:

1. Blue afraid of Wisconsin's academics.  I can't believe how many posters stated this.  Let's just assume that Wisconsin is harder academically than Marquette... what does this have to do with athletes?  Major programs treat their student athletes different than the rest of the school.  Wisconsin is no different.

2. Knowledge of Buzz's unethical recruiting.  No proof offered other than he bashed the Big Ten.  I am sure no one in the Big Ten bashed Conference USA when we were in the conference.

3. Matthews, Maymon, et al biased Blue. They very well might have.  I guess a Badger student athlete is forbidden from ever speaking to another recruit and tell them good things about UW-Madison?

4. Decision will cost Blue large NBA contract. When did Wisconsin become North Carolina?  Someone needs to explain to me how many players from there play in the NBA versus Marquette.  My math must be wrong because it would seem pretty equal to me.

5. Recruits are wrong about Wisconsin playing slow down ball.  Various statistics are used to state that, in fact, Wisconsin plays at basically the same pace as Marquette so recruits are incorrect.  Let's also assume this is true.  What does it matter?  Some recruits are finding the Big East to be more interesting to watch than the Big Ten.  Perception is reality in this case.  If the Big Ten gets five schools in the Elite Eight next year that perception will change to some degree.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 03:36:07 AM »
I can't believe I went over there and read about 8 pages of the key thread.  Let's be fair though: more than 50% of the people did not bash Marquette and simply said they were disappointed.

Most common things said from the minority of misinformed people:

1. Blue afraid of Wisconsin's academics.  I can't believe how many posters stated this.  Let's just assume that Wisconsin is harder academically than Marquette... what does this have to do with athletes?  Major programs treat their student athletes different than the rest of the school.  Wisconsin is no different.

2. Knowledge of Buzz's unethical recruiting.  No proof offered other than he bashed the Big Ten.  I am sure no one in the Big Ten bashed Conference USA when we were in the conference.

3. Matthews, Maymon, et al biased Blue. They very well might have.  I guess a Badger student athlete is forbidden from ever speaking to another recruit and tell them good things about UW-Madison?

4. Decision will cost Blue large NBA contract. When did Wisconsin become North Carolina?  Someone needs to explain to me how many players from there play in the NBA versus Marquette.  My math must be wrong because it would seem pretty equal to me.

5. Recruits are wrong about Wisconsin playing slow down ball.  Various statistics are used to state that, in fact, Wisconsin plays at basically the same pace as Marquette so recruits are incorrect.  Let's also assume this is true.  What does it matter?  Some recruits are finding the Big East to be more interesting to watch than the Big Ten.  Perception is reality in this case.  If the Big Ten gets five schools in the Elite Eight next year that perception will change to some degree.

Dano you're on a roll, no need to explain facts to them.  Just enjoy it and get a grin out of it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 07:18:56 AM »
I'll give them tempo....how's this beauty (some of the middle aged folks here will know what I'm talking about....what a pile of crap that thing was).

Hey, that's my first car you're talking about (and I bought it in Milwaukee while I was at Marquette).  But you're right, it was a pile of crap.  Cheap, though, and that was what I was looking for.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 08:16:39 AM »

I am just going to comment on these two...

2. Buzz made it very clear that he did not contact Blue at all once he committed to UW.  I think that says a lot.

3. One other name that should be mentioned is Tim Maymon.  Yeah, he can be obnoxious and a PIA, but he is influential with the players and parents at JMM.  (I know he has coached their "second string" AAU team.)  Jeronne Maymon wanted to look at UW, but they completely rebuffed him - wouldn't even consider him.  Well, they are paying the price for that now.  And I wouldn't doubt that if he gets to the BE level, that Junior Lomomba is going to have a full court press from all of these people involved to choose MU over UW.

And you know what is ironic?  Jeronne would have been a real nice fit for the swing offense with his ball handling ability.  Too bad...  ;)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 08:53:06 AM »
Dano you're on a roll, no need to explain facts to them.  Just enjoy it and get a grin out of it.

I agree, I also find talking to brick walls far more entertaining than trying to convince some of these guys that UW isn't the sparkling gem of the Midwest that they see it as.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »
I wish I had a picture of my first car at MU but I forgot it in front of the Avalanche and walked home.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »
3. One other name that should be mentioned is Tim Maymon.  Yeah, he can be obnoxious and a PIA, but he is influential with the players and parents at JMM.  (I know he has coached their "second string" AAU team.)  Jeronne Maymon wanted to look at UW, but they completely rebuffed him - wouldn't even consider him.  Well, they are paying the price for that now.  And I wouldn't doubt that if he gets to the BE level, that Junior Lomomba is going to have a full court press from all of these people involved to choose MU over UW.

And you know what is ironic?  Jeronne would have been a real nice fit for the swing offense with his ball handling ability.  Too bad...  ;)

Excellent point on Tim Maymon. A ton of sour grapes over at BN, but that's to be expected. What I find more interesting are the posts made by UWOle (a very knowledgeable poster) and unbelievably Redforman/Swenson (one of the biggest MU bashers around).

Both flat out say that Bo just didn't put in enough effort on Vander's recruitment and simply put, the MU coaching staff just outworked Bo.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 10:37:22 AM »

The bashing of Buzz at first was annoying but then I did see references to Gary Williams/Bo and how that style of recruiting had to change(I am pretty sure a grad from MU was a major contributor to that NY Times article about G Will and recruiting).

Bo Ryan does not belong in the same breath as Gary Williams.  Williams has won a national championship and was one of the best programs in the country a few years ago.  Bo Ryan's record is nothing like that.  Bo was lucky that MU was less attractive in CUSA and Iowa and Minnesota have sucked as Big Ten college town alternatives.  Tubby Smith and MU in the Big East has changed that.  Gary Williams has lost local players, too, but was successful recruiting against all those other solid options out east.  

I also never think of Wisconsin when I think of the top schools in the country. Even in the Midwest, when I think of top schools I think Notre Dame, Northwestern, and U Chicago. Even top public schools, I think Berkeley or UVA or Michigan.  Never Wisco at all.  I think of Wisco, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, etc. as really solid Big Ten schools where you can have a great time and get a good job afterwards.  Which is exactly how I see MU.  MU and Wisco are exactly the same except for the fact that Wisco has professors who do really quality research that MU cannot afford to fund.  The "higher academics" at Wisco argument is a complete joke.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:39:56 AM by HoopsMalone »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 10:46:22 AM »
How many recruits have UW and MU gone head-to-head for in the Bo Ryan era?

Brian Butch is one that came down to the end.  And UW has had early commits like Greg Steimsma and Evan Anderson.  MU has Wes and now Blue.  Are there others that I cannot recall?  UW didn't want Maymon...MU didn't really want Jarmusz...

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »

Brian Butch is one that came down to the end.  And UW has had early commits like Greg Steimsma and Evan Anderson.  MU has Wes and now Blue.  Are there others that I cannot recall?  UW didn't want Maymon...MU didn't really want Jarmusz...

Keaton Nankivil.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »

Landry?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 11:44:52 AM »
Steve Novak:  although I remember Illinois(with Self) and Florida being the other contenders more than UW. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 12:30:04 PM »
What about Devin Harris and Scott Merritt?  Were they both recruited by both schools?  I would have to imagine that Merritt with his size and athleticism would have been a big recruiting target given him potential upside.

Also, I remember hearing rumors about how Harris was going to come to MU but didn't want to play with Merritt again and Merritt told him not to come or something.  Meaning, if not for Merritt we could have had a three guard line-up of Diener, Harris, and Wade in 03.  Again, its a rumor and have no idea if it is true or if Merritt was a UW recruit at all or if Harris was an MU recruit.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 12:32:14 PM »
What about Devin Harris and Scott Merritt?  Were they both recruited by both schools?  I would have to imagine that Merritt with his size and athleticism would have been a big recruiting target given him potential upside.

Neither of those was the Bo Ryan era, both of those guys were during the Dick Bennett days.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »
I suppose one could include Trevon hughes on that list, though it's safe to say any chance MU had with him (or Jerry Smith, for that matter) set sail when the Three Amigos committed.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »

Depends on how you define head to head.  If you're looking at finalists, then the list is small...basically Marcus Landry, Scott Christopherson, and Keaton Nankivil.

If you expand it out to both schools being involved in the recruiting of a player at one point or another, then you've got Trevon Hughes, JP Gavinski, Diamond Taylor and Marcettus McGhee.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »
Depends on how you define head to head.  If you're looking at finalists, then the list is small...basically Marcus Landry, Scott Christopherson, and Keaton Nankivil.

Yeah, this is exactly what I was thinking.  Thank you very much. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »
Here's a GREAT one.  Nothing like an outsider to the program taking something completely out of context and thinking they know something...

By the way...Jeronne Maymon has already been booted from a Marquette practice because of his attitude.  Next!

We must have a really terrible group of kids, considering Buzz regularly ends practice for players, and even admitted that he kicked the whole team out of the gym a couple of times because they weren't giving him what he wanted.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »
Here's a GREAT one.  Nothing like an outsider to the program taking something completely out of context and thinking they know something...

We must have a really terrible group of kids, considering Buzz regularly ends practice for players, and even admitted that he kicked the whole team out of the gym a couple of times because they weren't giving him what he wanted.

the double standards are everywhere.

If Bo had kicked someone out of a practice it would have been, 'to send a message', or 'because Bo doesn't put up with stuff like that'

Husker4MU

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 03:42:36 PM »
Or because Bo cooled on their practice habits for the day.

I know, I know, it's derivative, but it still makes me crack up every time.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »
the double standards are everywhere.

If Bo had kicked someone out of a practice it would have been, 'to send a message', or 'because Bo doesn't put up with stuff like that'

Hahahaha

I can just see that happening so clearly.
Marquette University, Spring '08