collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:52:38 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: BAD Beer Thread  (Read 17485 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: BAD Beer Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 07:35:43 PM »
hands down worst beer I've ever had is Schlitz Dark.  Tried to drink it at an MU party in the early '90's but it was really undrinkable, and that's no lie. 

Cross between motor oil and maple syrup.

I think my buddies got it for $20 for a half barrel. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
We called Stroh's Light "hot dog beer" because it tastes like the water that you boiled hot dogs in.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »
Any beer with "ICE" in its name. Althought I do recall having a fantastic night or two at MU after consuming a number of Olympia Ice's.

Did I really see a "Natty Light" commercial over the weekend?

Two other popular beers that I can't stand are PBR and Schlitz. There is a reason that they basically disappeared over the years and have only reappeared thanks to mass marketing and hipsters. Retro does not equal good. 

The only time I can ever remember throwing up the day after a night of drinking is after drinking Bud Ice. Fermented sewer water has to taste better.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 10:19:19 AM »
Am I really the one person that can't stand Blue Moon?  I hate that stuff.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
Am I really the one person that can't stand Blue Moon?  I hate that stuff.

Thank you.  I was just going to post this.  Any wheat beer, especially Belgian style, is terrible.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »
I refuse to drink any wheat beer except an occassional "Yellowjacket"  3/4 Guiness with Hefweissen on top. Usually without the "stinger"(shot of Jamison)

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »
Bud Dry sucked ass.

I also remember fondly, then shudder, back in the late 80's being able to get a returnable case of beer from Pick n' Save down by Miller for $4.25 (that included the deposit) of Huber, Huber Bock, Old Milwaukee or Milwaukee's Best.  Of the four, Huber Bock tasted the least like licking dirty feet.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
Bud Dry sucked ass.

I also remember fondly, then shudder, back in the late 80's being able to get a returnable case of beer from Pick n' Save down by Miller for $4.25 (that included the deposit) of Huber, Huber Bock, Old Milwaukee or Milwaukee's Best.  Of the four, Huber Bock tasted the least like licking dirty feet.

Long live the P-n-S shuttle bus.  I'd walk around for a half-hour just eating all the free samples.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
Huber!! That stuff goes down like water but gives the worst hangover ever. I don't really know if I can call Huber bad because it has almost zero flavor. Huber Bock on the other hand is brutal.

Has anyone ever had the bud light/clamato? That has to be horrible.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:29:40 PM by MilTown »

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »
Old Style

Mickeys big mouth

Bud Light

Some breweries spend moneu on product and some spend it on advertising. Mass marketed beers (miller/Bud) don't compare to micro's and other crafted beers.

Now I'm thirsty!!

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »
How has High Life Light not been mentioned?

OneMadWarrior

• Team Captain
  • Wish I was at the Maui Invitational
    • The Truth
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2009, 03:07:58 PM »
Milwaukee County Brewing Company ICE is the beer that came in the giant 48 beer keg packs. It was awful and cheap. Personally Bud Light is god awful, agree with Heineken und BECK's
“When I was losing, they called me nuts. When I was winning they called me eccentric.”

~Al McGuire

Correct morals arise from knowing what man is—not what do-gooders and well-meaning old Aunt Nellies would like him to be.
~Robert Heinlein

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
How has High Life Light not been mentioned?

Because this is the Bad Beer Thread.
But I like to throw handfuls...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2009, 03:21:26 PM »
Because this is the Bad Beer Thread.

+1

How could any beer compared to Champagne be bad?!
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MARQKC

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:53 PM »
Bud Light and Bud light lime

Basically any beer with a fruit is out for me.

100% agree with this post.

If the word "light" or any variable spelling of that word is in the name of the beer, I really prefer not to bother. Just fancy bottled water. What's the point?

Ditto fruit. I'm a member of the NO FRUIT IN BEER CLUB. I've been known to yell at bartenders and waitresses who serve a beer with fruit on the rim, especially an orange (orange? WTF?) slice. I've been known to yell at bartenders putting fruit on the rims of beers they're pouring for other people. Then I yell at those people. "Whadaya? Stoopid?"

It's amazing they even let me in some bars anymore.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:21:46 PM by MARQKC »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 08:09:20 AM »
100% agree with this post.

If the word "light" or any variable spelling of that word is in the name of the beer, I really prefer not to bother. Just fancy bottled water. What's the point?

Ditto fruit. I'm a member of the NO FRUIT IN BEER CLUB. I've been known to yell at bartenders and waitresses who serve a beer with fruit on the rim, especially an orange (orange? WTF?) slice. I've been known to yell at bartenders putting fruit on the rims of beers they're pouring for other people. Then I yell at those people. "Whadaya? Stoopid?"

It's amazing they even let me in some bars anymore.

It is amazing.  Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that isn't the way the beer is typically served.  If you don't want anything, simply ask for yours with no fruit.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »
It is amazing.  Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that isn't the way the beer is typically served.  If you don't want anything, simply ask for yours with no fruit.

I actually can only stand to drink Blue Moon with the orange, so yes I am stupid.  Maybe I just just ask for a glass of orange juice.

;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
I agree with people that say Guinness. I'm just not a dark beer person and then to try and choke down something that is bog water and chocolate syrup is too much for me.  I find that some of the cheaper beers like Keystone and Natty were great when I wanted to get drunk at a house party and I don't mind them now.

Here are some beers that I can't drink though:

Leine's Fireside Nut
Old German Beer Hall's dunkel
Red Dog
Milwaukee Classic Ice ($10 for a 30, my fishing buddies drink it)
Billy Beer
MGD 64
Lakefront's Fuel Cafe

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2009, 07:09:36 AM »

Billy Beer

Really.  What, you had a six pack laying around in the basement from 1981?
Ludum habemus.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »
Really.  What, you had a six pack laying around in the basement from 1981?

that may explain the taste...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
any Lite/Light beer, don't even consider it beer, in fact, why bother drinking then?  - I'll gladly drink tap water instead. I hate going to weddings when the free beer is Lite  >:(

I read somewhere that MGD 64 is 2.7% ABV - that's not beer it's NA - I bet you can't drink enough of that to become intoxicated "but officer, all I had was MGD 64"

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:32 PM »
any Lite/Light beer, don't even consider it beer, in fact, why bother drinking then?  - I'll gladly drink tap water instead. I hate going to weddings when the free beer is Lite  >:(

I read somewhere that MGD 64 is 2.7% ABV - that's not beer it's NA - I bet you can't drink enough of that to become intoxicated "but officer, all I had was MGD 64"

It is 2.8% ABV. Budweiser now has Bud Select 55 out in certain markets. When you get down to that low calorie of a beer the only thing you can remove to make it that low is the alcohol.

But I like to throw handfuls...

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2009, 02:09:54 AM »
i thought this was relevant, its the top 15 selling beers in the united states. bud diesel is #1, followed by bud light, miller light, coors light, corona, natty light, heineken, michelob, busch light, high life, guinness, sam adams, keystone light, the beast, yuengling

http://www.barstools.net/media/the-15-best-selling-beers-in-the-u-s/

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2009, 04:16:20 PM »
Old Style.   It's front and center in the team picture.  It tastes like sweat smells like.  Another bad one is Rhinelander.  But when you're a student at MU and able to get it from Pick N' Save for $3.96 a case of returnable bottles, you drink it.

As for some of the other beers mentioned, in the early 80's we could get a half barrel of Bud from the Bud rep., who lived in the Bud House down the street from the Lighthouse, for about $20/half.  When you have a half of Bud in the fridge every day, you learn to love Bud.  Still do.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2009, 09:32:08 AM »
A couple of the many deals we would get on bad beer from Badger Beer on State included a 1/4 barrel of Red White and Blue for $9.99 and a 1/2 barrel of Olde English 800 for $19.99.