collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: BAD Beer Thread  (Read 17481 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: BAD Beer Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 04:55:50 PM »
killians (which I think they own.)

Killian's is owned by MillerCoors. And I like it.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »
I respectfully disagree with the posters who listed Dos Equis and Budweiser.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 08:24:37 PM »
of coors, miller, and bud; bud is by FAR the worst. i would say coors original # 1, followed by miller high life.

hell, give me a miller lite before ill touch a bud

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »
for the record i also like killians (on tap.) i was simply listing it as a beer i thought was owned by AB.  But i was wrong.   
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Although many of us can agree on the truly terrible beers like classic ice, jaguar, steel reserve, etc., this is always a futile argument b/c everyone has different preferences. Kinda like the best movie, or best band discussion. I disagree with a majority of the postings on here (I like Guinness, Budweiser, Bud Light, Spotted Cow, Newcastle) but again, different strokes for different folks. I'll agree that I can't stand Corona or Heineken. I've always thought Rolling Rock is pretty terrible too.
Acquiring a taste for different brands is possible too. I use to hate, hate, hate high life. Its not my favorite now, but I can tolerate it; same with MGD.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
One of the most ridiculous things has always been premium beers that are sold in green or clear bottles.  They let in more light than brown bottles.  Light degrades the beer.  I'm looking at you, Heineken and Corona.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 09:35:40 PM »
One of the most ridiculous things has always been premium beers that are sold in green or clear bottles.  They let in more light than brown bottles.  Light degrades the beer.  I'm looking at you, Heineken and Corona.

im not arguing with you because i personally have no idea, but ive heard that is a common misconception

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2009, 09:52:01 PM »
im not arguing with you because i personally have no idea, but ive heard that is a common misconception
No worries.  Here is an article discussing it.  I may have been wrong on the green though.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=chemists-determine-cause

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »
No worries.  Here is an article discussing it.  I may have been wrong on the green though.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=chemists-determine-cause

Heat and light are what makes beer turn skunky. Similarly, beer that has been cold needs to remain cold or you risk it going skunky wen you start playing the cold, warm cold thing.

Brown glass is best for light safety. Green isn't as good as brown but is better than clear.

Another thing is that kegged beer needs to remain cold as it is not pasteurized. Unpasteurized beer can skunk even easier than pasturized beer (or cold filtered like MGD).
But I like to throw handfuls...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2009, 10:40:54 PM »
Bad beers:

Olympia
Rheinlander
Bud Light
Natural Light
Busch
Coors Banquent $30 barrels delivered from Greenfield Liquor
Gluek
Hamms Light
Mountain Creek
Anything by La Crosse Brewing
Stone Smoked Porter
Sterling

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »
I absolutely hate regular Budweiser.  I just don't get it.  I can't think of another product (beer or otherwise) that has done so much with so little.

Ah, good old Bud Diesel.
The General has taken on a new command.

JimmyBIToldYa

• Walk-On
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 11:44:25 PM »
Bad beers:

Olympia
Rheinlander
Bud Light
Natural Light
Busch
Coors Banquent $30 barrels delivered from Greenfield Liquor
Gluek
Hamms Light
Mountain Creek
Anything by La Crosse Brewing
Stone Smoked Porter
Sterling

i actually really enjoy coors banquet. what is this about $30 barrels? i am interested

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 02:06:12 AM »
Bad beers:
Stone Smoked Porter

Really? Can I ask why?  I've been waiting for the local tap-house to get it on tap (they say soon), but I'm willing to be convinced not to waste my money.

I disagree with a majority of the postings on here (I like Guinness, Budweiser, Bud Light, Spotted Cow, Newcastle)

I agree for the most part, different people like different beers.  However, if you've ever had a fresh Guinness or a fresh Newcastle (on tap), you'll quickly learn to dislike the stuff you get out of bottles.  I'm not saying they're bad beers, merely, they are beers that have gone bad. 

Heat and light are what makes beer turn skunky.

You only left out Oxygen.  Hence why all (most) kegs (in the US) are fed with CO2 (or Nitro).  Actually, in the UK you'll find several bars that serve cask beer (no CO2), but that's only because they know they'll empty the keg in less than 3 days.  Some micro-breweries in the US will also do this, and I particularly enjoy cask selections, but you don't find it that often, and usually they're going for some "extra" flavor (which would be considered a defect in the beer).  Anyhow, yes, keep your beer away from heat, light, and O2....

Chili

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 07:46:31 AM »
Really? Can I ask why?  I've been waiting for the local tap-house to get it on tap (they say soon), but I'm willing to be convinced not to waste my money.

I think my buddy hit the description on the head when he said it was like tasting a "sweat sock that has been soaked in chew spit". Just had this really funky flavor. It might just be a flavor profile I am not a fan of. I would still say ask for a sample when they get it on tap.

I had a smoked Pilsner not too long ago at a beer tasting at Comet Cafe and that was a lot better. Actually tasted like bacon.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
i actually really enjoy coors banquet. what is this about $30 barrels? i am interested

Back in the 90s when Greenfield Liquor (RIP  :'( ) still delivered barrels, they would run a huge special on Coors Banquet for like $30 a half barrel. The stuff is like bread in glass. Just not good.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
since we brew our own we've kind of become beer snobs (not that I won't throw back some cheapo beer once in a while) but my absolute dead last mass-market beer is coors light. totally unconsumable by humans.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »
since we brew our own we've kind of become beer snobs (not that I won't throw back some cheapo beer once in a while) but my absolute dead last mass-market beer is coors light. totally unconsumable by humans.

my beer nerd friends and i have come to the conclusion that most beers have a time and a place. like miller lite is not a great beer, but, it is almost all of our favorite mass consumption beer.

now if i have my choice i am drinking american micro's all night long, but sometimes i just want to try and put a case of miller lite down in a day.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »
Any beer with "ICE" in its name. Althought I do recall having a fantastic night or two at MU after consuming a number of Olympia Ice's.

Did I really see a "Natty Light" commercial over the weekend?

Two other popular beers that I can't stand are PBR and Schlitz. There is a reason that they basically disappeared over the years and have only reappeared thanks to mass marketing and hipsters. Retro does not equal good. 

Chili

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »

Two other popular beers that I can't stand are PBR and Schlitz.

Schlitz went back to an older recipe that it originally had when it was an extremely popular beer. But why did PBR become unpopular? Oh that's right, people in the 80's and 90's were told not to like it by marketers. PBR was the best selling beer in the world for a long time for a reason.

The High Life's, PBR's, Schlitz, Old Styles, etc. are the true first American beers. A lot them got basterdized in the 70's, 80's and 90's to try and turn a quick profit. Some of them had formula changes that were done as cost cutting measures that hurt them. Others lost out to the "light beer" craze.

I mean if it was good enough for my grandpa back in the 40's, 50's and 60's - it is good enough for me too.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »
Schlitz went back to an older recipe that it originally had when it was an extremely popular beer. But why did PBR become unpopular? Oh that's right, people in the 80's and 90's were told not to like it by marketers. PBR was the best selling beer in the world for a long time for a reason.

The High Life's, PBR's, Schlitz, Old Styles, etc. are the true first American beers. A lot them got basterdized in the 70's, 80's and 90's to try and turn a quick profit. Some of them had formula changes that were done as cost cutting measures that hurt them. Others lost out to the "light beer" craze.

I mean if it was good enough for my grandpa back in the 40's, 50's and 60's - it is good enough for me too.

you beat me to this.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 09:57:21 AM »

Did I really see a "Natty Light" commercial over the weekend?

Yes, and it was probably for the Natty Caddy.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
I think the only reason those beers were popular was because there wasn't much else available. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
I think the only reason those beers were popular was because there wasn't much else available. 

microbrews didn't really exist before the 90s.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »
Exactly, so people had a lack of selection and were forced to drink beers like PBR or Miller High Life, or other regional beers that dominated a certain area. I'm not debating the fact that PBR was once popular. My point is that popular doesn't mean it's good.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 05:24:28 PM by MilTown »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 05:39:43 PM »
I'll agree with your premise.

But I will disagree that PBR and Schlitz (especially Schlitz) are awful beers.  They each have their own place.