Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cinmeon Bowers  (Read 8174 times)

KipsBayEagle

Cinmeon Bowers
« on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:29 AM »
Anyone know if we're on this kid, he's a 2011 power forward from milwaukee.  Suppose to be real tough for his size, and a real grinder.  He's also a milwaukee native (Nicolet High).  Haven't heard anything on him yet.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
Re: Cinmeon Bowers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 10:32:03 AM »
He better be tough with a name like Cinmeon.....

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:40:05 AM »
He could be a perfect candidate ;)

He was at Nicolet but had academic issues and transferred to some prep type questionable high school.  He left right away and is now at another one.   Maturity issues for sure.

Edit: He is back at Nicolet but is not eligible.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 11:30:22 AM by butchbadger »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
MU is in on him, he attended at least one of the Elite Camps this summer.  Talented kid, ESPN has him in their Super 60 for 2011.  

FYI Butch, the prep school was South Kent, and it definitely isn't a questionable prep school.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 12:07:02 PM »

He was at Nicolet but had academic issues and transferred to some prep type questionable high school.  He left right away and is now at another one.   Maturity issues for sure.

Plus he's athletic and African American so he would not fit in well at all at UW-Madison or their team of fighting Whities.   ;D

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 12:13:02 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »
BMA you always seem to be in touch with the recruiting might you have a list or ageneral idea of what prospects may be attending MM?   thanks

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
Plus he's athletic and African American so he would not fit in well at all at UW-Madison or their team of fighting Whities.   ;D

Yikes, a whole closet of skeletons now in the mix. Haven't we peed enough and in the same bowl with UW?
Harris, Landry, etc. may want to argue your point.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »
It's a dig based on the diversity argument Madison makes constantly.  It's one of the most lilly white major cities in America, the school has less ethnic diversity on a percentage basis than MU, and their basketball team is stiff, slow and more than a few farm plow boys....last I checked their average points per game was 4 or 5 points below the NCAA average...it's effective and efficient but God awful boring...plus putting that picture up there with them having to photoshop in an African American to show diversity at a school like Madison is one of the great f-ups ever on their part.  An instant classic that never gets old.  

;D

So if Butch wants to play his game, I'm more than willing to play as well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:15:40 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »

He was at Nicolet but had academic issues and transferred to some prep type questionable high school.  He left right away and is now at another one.   Maturity issues for sure.

Harsh on a 15-16 year old kid.  I remember when I was that age I didn't care about grades, I cared about chasing tail and playing sports.  The grades and test scores came when I saw there was more than the immediate, took some time though.  

Did you ever do that Butch?  Or were you a teachers son that "loved" school all the time?

He's going into his Junior year, he has time to get grades in order.  
Especially if he does have the opportunity for ball after high school it may strike a passion in him to get over his struggles in the classroom.

Looks like I'll have to check him out some Friday night this winter.
Marquette University, Spring '08

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 01:12:45 PM »
BMA you always seem to be in touch with the recruiting might you have a list or ageneral idea of what prospects may be attending MM?   thanks

The only confirmed one so far is Tarik Black.  I would assume Jones will be there as well.  There was talk that LaBradford Franklin may come but that was quite awhile ago and I haven't seen anything confirming it.

Buzz is playing this very very close to the vest.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

A 16-year-old with maturity issues?  :o

We all know you had your doctorate, MD and had published three novels by the time you were 12, Doogie, but not every kid matures so rapidly.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
It's a dig based on the diversity argument Madison makes constantly.  It's one of the most lilly white major cities in America, the school has less ethnic diversity on a percentage basis than MU, and their basketball team is stiff, slow and more than a few farm plow boys....last I checked their average points per game was 4 or 5 points below the NCAA average...it's effective and efficient but God awful boring...plus putting that picture up there with them having to photoshop in an African American to show diversity at a school like Madison is one of the great f-ups ever on their part.  An instant classic that never gets old.  

;D

So if Butch wants to play his game, I'm more than willing to play as well.

Haha!

I remember visiting there a few times.  Each time I visited and went on the guided tour it was with the same type of people.  Country boys and girls who already knew they wanted to go to Madison and only applied there or Suburban kids wanting to be hippies with existential thought exercises and S***.

Don't try to play the diversity card, UW.  You're only diversity are foreign kids working on Masters or Phd's in the research sector. 

Sure the campus is nice, but it is completely segregated from the real world, and in my opinion that's not a good thing.

The only confirmed one so far is Tarik Black.  I would assume Jones will be there as well.  There was talk that LaBradford Franklin may come but that was quite awhile ago and I haven't seen anything confirming it.

Along the lines of Midnight Madness is anybody going at door opening at 5:00?
It's gonna be tough to get there at that time. 
Personally, I plan on going as soon as possible, they may close the doors if it gets too packed.
Marquette University, Spring '08

butchbadger

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
I am not sure why race was brought up...

Listen, I attended Nicolet and hope nothing but the best for the kid but there are, in fact, issues. Nicolet gives all students every chance (and athletes a few more) to succeed.

I joked because I and many here including Chico have observed that MU has has a shift in recruiting philosophy in the last few years.  Some guys like Hayward and Butler worked out phenomenally well while others like Mbakwe and Clark did not.  But I clearly wasn't the first or only person to notice Marquette's recent attraction to guys that went to multiple high schools.  It is safe to say that it is often a red flag, is it not?

I for one don't care about the diversity or lack thereof at UW, MU or UW-XYZ.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:49:01 PM by butchbadger »

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 01:57:45 PM »
I don't know if it is a red flag, but I'd agree it certainly is a yellow light.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »
I am not sure why race was brought up...

Listen, I attended Nicolet and hope nothing but the best for the kid but there are, in fact, issues. Nicolet gives all students every chance (and athletes a few more) to succeed.

I joked because I and many here including Chico have observed that MU has has a shift in recruiting philosophy in the last few years.  Some guys like Hayward and Butler worked out phenomenally well while others like Mbakwe and Clark did not.  But I clearly wasn't the first or only person to notice Marquette's recent attraction to guys that went to multiple high schools.  It is safe to say that it is often a red flag, is it not?

I for one don't care about the diversity or lack thereof at UW, MU or UW-XYZ.

Just a little tit for tat Butch.  You mentioned why he'd fit right in at MU and I mentioned why he wouldn't fit in at UW-Madison.   ;)   Josh Oglesby, now he looks like UW-Madison material.  Diversity isn't an issue for us at MU, but for some reason 90 miles west it seems to be...

As you noted, yes I and others have observed a recruiting philosophy change but I assure you that whatever MU is doing it isn't to gain favor with Badger fans.  You guys hated Deane, hated Crean, you're starting the sleaze threads now with Buzz....so it doesn't really matter what we do, you'll still find a way to tear down MU as much as possible (and I'm more than willing to recriprocate).   It is my hope that this is a short term strategy by Buzz, one never knows.

Then again, who knows, this kid could be like John Clay and become an honors student at a fine institution like UW-Madison....ouch.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:18:47 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »
Can't we all just frickin' get along?

I'm open-minded with respect to UW. Both MU and UW have their place in academia, and it's not the same place, nor do they try to be the same. Can we just all be content with that?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »
Can't we all just frickin' get along?

I'm open-minded with respect to UW. Both MU and UW have their place in academia, and it's not the same place, nor do they try to be the same. Can we just all be content with that?

Get along, no.  But yes, I generally agree with your statements and have said so many times.  UW-Madison is a very good school, but just like other schools, their athletes go into programs that are not difficult and designed to keep them eligible.  The attitude I read about why Vander Blue and others should go to UW-Madison because of academics is fundamentally flawed.  It is what you put into it, both schools deliver a fine education if one chooses to pursue it.  Both schools also have "easier" paths if that is so chosen.  The pius attitude by Badger fans about the academics of UW-Madison and their complete disjointer with the reality on how it applies to their athletes is something to behold.  It's also entertaining.

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 03:04:24 PM »

BMA - I just went and read up on Tarik Black...have I missed something or has this one flown completely under the radar?  How long have we been in on him?  Do people believe that we have a legitimate shot at landing this kid?  In terms of size and apparent skill set, this kid seems like he'd be a HUGE get for Buzz...what do you think about our chances?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=65428&season=2010&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d65428%26season%3d2010

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »
Get along, no.  But yes, I generally agree with your statements and have said so many times.  UW-Madison is a very good school, but just like other schools, their athletes go into programs that are not difficult and designed to keep them eligible.  The attitude I read about why Vander Blue and others should go to UW-Madison because of academics is fundamentally flawed.  It is what you put into it, both schools deliver a fine education if one chooses to pursue it.  Both schools also have "easier" paths if that is so chosen.  The pius attitude by Badger fans about the academics of UW-Madison and their complete disjointer with the reality on how it applies to their athletes is something to behold.  It's also entertaining.

I'm not sure why people can't understand that UW is a research school while MU is not... and UW (as do other schools for that matter) gets a LOT of points in the 'ranking' system that various ranking systems use for said research.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 03:47:49 PM »
BMA - I just went and read up on Tarik Black...have I missed something or has this one flown completely under the radar?  How long have we been in on him?  Do people believe that we have a legitimate shot at landing this kid?  In terms of size and apparent skill set, this kid seems like he'd be a HUGE get for Buzz...what do you think about our chances?

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=65428&season=2010&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d65428%26season%3d2010

MU has been in on him for quite a while, but in most people's eyes everyone was chasing Memphis.  He's been seen all along as a very very heavy Memphis lean, right up to the point where he canceled his visit to Memphis' midnight madness and decided to come to MU that night.  Whether that means anything or not, who knows. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »
I'm not sure why people can't understand that UW is a research school while MU is not... and UW (as do other schools for that matter) gets a LOT of points in the 'ranking' system that various ranking systems use for said research.

That is correct.  Plus, if you look at what goes into the rankings there are other components that are highly controversial.  A full 20% of the US News scores is weighted based on "reputational measure" provided by other academic administrators at other institutions.  Those people have every incentive NOT to talk up another institution because it doesn't benefit their own ranking.

A San Francisco Chronicle article argues that almost all of US News factors are redundant and can be boiled down to one characteristic: the size of the college or university's endowment."[

feedback