collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:52:38 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WC Qualifier: US v. Honduras  (Read 5093 times)

reinko

• All American
WC Qualifier: US v. Honduras
« on: October 10, 2009, 01:58:04 PM »
Anyone have an online feed to watch the game?  Not up on channelsurfing.net yet.

Moonboots

• Starter
Re: WC Qualifier: US v. Honduras
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
www.ustream.com/honducarlos

That's apparently going to have it as well.

This closed circuit thing sucks. No one in MKE or Madison bought it. I'm still going to The Highbury and take my chances with a stream on their TVs.

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
http://atdhe.net/9796/watch-honduras-vs-usa

No idea if it'll work.

Working.

Tuned in just in time to see Davies' header off the keeper, followed by Davies' 3ptr over a wide-open goal.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
And Casey with the biggest nothing goal he's ever scored...

Wow.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 10:36:52 PM »
3-1!

US will qualify!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »
And Casey with the biggest nothing goal he's ever scored...

Wow.

Casey's first goal was slop. Second was a well-played through-ball. Donovan's free kick was beautiful. Cannot WAIT for 2010!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
OMG...the US is blowing it.  But Honduras misses a PK...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »

Casey's first goal was slop. Second was a well-played through-ball. Donovan's free kick was beautiful. Cannot WAIT for 2010!

Yikes!  Choke!  Roberto Baggio like on that PK

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »
Honduras misses a potentially game-tying penalty in the 86th minute. Clear over the bar. Wow...

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:53:07 PM »
Yikes!  Choke!  Roberto Baggio like on that PK

My thoughts exactly.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »
USA! USA! USA!

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 11:00:01 PM »
Almost feel bad for Honduras...they deserved at least a draw. The US did everything they could to give it away late. That kind of play will make for a quick exit next summer.

Wow....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Almost feel bad for Honduras...they deserved at least a draw. The US did everything they could to give it away late. That kind of play will make for a quick exit next summer.

Wow....

Yeah, I was hoping for round of 16.  I doubt we'll even accomplish that.  Midfield play is horrendous.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 06:30:33 AM »
At least we are in!  And, for now, the biggest dog in CONCACAF.  Take a suck a that, Mexico!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »

Yeah, I was hoping for round of 16.  I doubt we'll even accomplish that.  Midfield play is horrendous.

Interesting. Maybe my feed was bad, but I actually thought the midfield was pretty good last night. Their buildup and possession in the second half was better than it had been all cycle.

Now the back line... that makes me more nervous. A lot can change in the next 9 months though. By then Jones and Castillo could be regulars in the squad, and those two have quality.

But to go into that environment and come out with 3 points is a massive accomplishment.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 11:11:31 AM »
Interesting. Maybe my feed was bad, but I actually thought the midfield was pretty good last night. Their buildup and possession in the second half was better than it had been all cycle.

I am the first to admit that I am not really a guru when it comes to soccer strategy, but my thinking was that toward the end of the game, our offense to defense transitions were terrible.  Isn't that basically the midfielders fault?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 04:14:15 PM »

I am the first to admit that I am not really a guru when it comes to soccer strategy, but my thinking was that toward the end of the game, our offense to defense transitions were terrible.  Isn't that basically the midfielders fault?

Sometimes it is but sometimes the blame falls on the defense for just clearing the ball by booting it upfield instead of trying to keep possession and sometimes the fault falls on the forwards for just sitting too high and not coming deep enough to actually bring themselves into the game.

I didn't see the game last night but from watching them over the past few months, I would say that the midfield has been very inconsistent...but that could also be said for the whole team.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 06:08:47 PM »

In my opinion, the U.S. doesn't have a good holding midfielder who sits behind the rest of the midfield and in front of the center backs to clean things up.  That's why whenever the U.S. gives the ball up it seems like the other team gets right through our midfield.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 06:16:20 PM »

At the end, I think that was more by design than anything. Hondo was pushing everyone forward, and the US kept a forward up and everyone else behind the ball. That said, they do tend to lose their shape from time to time as muwarrior87 said.

The need for a solid, holding midfielder is huge. If Jermaine Jones ever gets cleared and eligible, he could fit that role quite nicely. Right now the closest thing they have is Bradley, who in my opinion gets caught too far forward a lot of the time.

The good news is, they have until next summer to sort it out.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 06:57:43 PM »
A solid holding midfielder really is the key to any good midfielder.  If you look around the world at the best national and club teams, a solid holding midfielder is key.  Liverpool were at their best w/ Xabi Alonso controlling the midfield and Barca have been dominating with players like Yaya Toure or Keita to provide help right in front of the back four and link with the midfield.  Honduras actually has a very good example of this type of player in Wilson Palacios.  He wins the balls in midfield and helps keep the shape through the middle.  Is only Bradley, Feilhaber, Clark, Jones or SOMEONE could fill that void.  The US has quality skill players at the other midfield positions but needs that lynch pin type player.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: US Men's Soccer - Davies hurt in car crash in DC
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 04:47:10 PM »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/10/13/charlie.davies/index.html?cnn=yes

Bad things happen disproportionately to people out and about from Midnight to 5:00am.

Grandma always said, only two things open after midnight....hospitals and a woman's legs....beware of both.