Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: You want lemonade?  (Read 5345 times)

tower912

• All American
You want lemonade?
« on: September 18, 2009, 03:08:33 PM »
OK, in Rosiak's article, it says that it takes 4-6 months to recover from this injury.   If JR has youth, vitality, and rapid healing on his side, he could be recovered by the end of January.   (Hey, I completely and freely acknowledge this is wildly optimistic)    If so, do you want him on the court in February, burning a year of eligibility for a few minutes a night?   Personally, I say no.   We all saw what happens to a player in Buzz' system who falls behind in learning defensive rotations.   He could decide to play and only see the floor for 10 minutes the rest of the year.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: You want lemonade?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »
What if the team is doing better than expectations and is, say, 8th or 9th in the BE?  That would make them a bubble team for the NCAA.

If so, now do you want Junior to come back?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
I'd say no, personally.

I'm looking forward to Cadougan being around the program and maturing for a while before we start relying on him for PT.

To play devils advocate to myself: If Cadougan doesn't play then Buycks will be our only returning guard with any PT... which could end up being a rough situation.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
I'd say no, personally.

I'm looking forward to Cadougan being around the program and maturing for a while before we start relying on him for PT.

To play devils advocate to myself: If Cadougan doesn't play then Buycks will be our only returning guard with any PT... which could end up being a rough situation.

I would still go for the no.

Let the kid settle down, get FULLY healthy and get a good grip of classwork under his belt as a freshman. 
I mean, he's still coming in as a freshman.
If he were a Junior with extensive PT in the Big East and were, let's say, 2nd team all BEast the year before--yeah, let him come back for the stretch run.  But he is only a freshman.  Why rush him into something without getting antiquated with the team properly.

Let's say the team is a bubble team.
I don't think that changes anything.  He would have missed most of the season.  Remember Mbakwe?  He didn't look like he fit at all when he came back for the last part of his freshman year (And we all know how that turned out). 

IMHO I think the best thing to do Junior and for the team would be to redshirt him this year. 
This year may be a struggle, but not as bad as some are fearing it to be.
Marquette University, Spring '08

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:36:58 PM »
But spending a year around the program vs a "fresh" new freshman will have a different outcome next year when Junior starts playing.

groove

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 03:37:52 PM »
There is no way he is playing this year. It usually takes a year to be fully recovered.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »
The only situation I could see bringing him back is if there was a mid/late season injury to one of the other guards.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 03:56:56 PM »
We already did something similar with Trevor Mbakwe. Disaster.

At least this solves our PG recruit issues for 2010.

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:08 PM »
Somehow if we pull off a couple of unexpected wins, are sitting firmly on the bubble with a few weeks left, some people may be changing their tune.

I'm not one of them.  I thought it was a huge disaster to bring Mbakwe back when we did, but sometimes you have to leave that decision up to the player, and if Junior insists on playing, it'd be tough to deny him that.
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 04:43:02 PM »
Junior won't even be able to do much until February.  By then, he will have missed all of the pre-season workouts, the pre-season, the NC schedule and a chunk of the BE season.  As a freshman PG on the mend, I think thats way to much to miss and be effective, not to mention the risk of re-injury.  I suspect he will be shut down for the season.  I would not bring him back unless he has a very early and full recovery.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 04:45:58 PM »
Dream or not, Achilles tendon surgery is tough stuff.  Recovery is painful and long.  I went through it once, and it was months before I was walking without a limp.  Long time ago, and maybe technology has improved, but whether we are a bubble team or not, I do not think we will see Junior on the court playing for us this year.  The Achilles is needed for all your foot movements - jumping, pivoting, anything. It's a long road to recovery - and dependeing on how bad the rupture is (mine was severed in two pieces) may determine his future next year.

I pray for it to be a more minor rupture, easy suregery and quick recovery - our prayers are with this young man.  It is tough for him to be sure.

DomJamesToTheBasket

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:05:07 PM »
I wonder where Rosiak gets his info??? 4-6 months is a joke. Every athlete that I've seen rupture an achilles was unable to get back to 100%. It is a devestating injury that is very rare and unfortunately seems to have some reoccurrence. Former NFL cb Bryant Westbrook ruptured his achilles twice, so did NFL wr Ron Curry(maybe 3 times?).

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
unable to get back to 100%   ahhh  wrong!   does it take a long time like a year yes.  Unable wrong...

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 05:47:33 PM »
Trevor was back earlier than expected = no advantage to MU
DJ back after an injury earlier than expected = little advantage to MU

Having Junior repaired, healed, and stronger after redshirting a year = more of an advantage to MU
SS Marquette

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
How is an Achilles tendon rupture treated?

Dr. Barnett: Most young, healthy athletes on the high school, college or professional level recover more quickly and require less rehabilitation when their Achilles is repaired surgically. The two ends of the tendon are sewn together and the foot and lower leg are placed in a cast with the foot pointed down to lessen the tension on the repaired tendon. In older, less active individuals, we favor a more conservative approach, which involves casting and a lengthy period of immobilization. Regardless of the treatment, you're looking at a six- to 12-week recovery period. It is almost always a season-ending injury for the athlete because of the tenuous situation with the blood supply to the area. Complete healing needs to take place or there is a possibility of recurrence.

http://espn.go.com/trainingroom/s/1999/0915/59775.html

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »
Just thought about it...

He and the MU staff's gonna have to monitor his weight as well as weight gain can impede/complicate his recovery.
SS Marquette

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
unable to get back to 100%   ahhh  wrong!   does it take a long time like a year yes.  Unable wrong...

Wow Hayward didn't know you were a medical expert too!

Actually, depending on the severity, some people never fully recover from an injury like this.  That probably won't be the case with Jr due to his age, health, and physical condition but it is a possiblility.  Let's pray that Jr has a quick and full recovery.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Wow Hayward didn't know you were a medical expert too!

Actually, depending on the severity, some people never fully recover from an injury like this.  That probably won't be the case with Jr due to his age, health, and physical condition but it is a possiblility.  Let's pray that Jr has a quick and full recovery.

about what I was going to say.

recovered, and being able to play high level college basketball are two different things.

Prediction: Out at least until after the Tournament.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 08:08:19 PM »

What?  There weren't/aren't any issues.  Blue is likely still option #1.  This injury doesn't change anything.

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 12:53:50 AM »
OK, in Rosiak's article, it says that it takes 4-6 months to recover from this injury.   If JR has youth, vitality, and rapid healing on his side, he could be recovered by the end of January.   (Hey, I completely and freely acknowledge this is wildly optimistic)    If so, do you want him on the court in February, burning a year of eligibility for a few minutes a night?   Personally, I say no.   We all saw what happens to a player in Buzz' system who falls behind in learning defensive rotations.   He could decide to play and only see the floor for 10 minutes the rest of the year.   

I like this type of thinking. I made this type of prediction after the DJ injury last.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=12974.msg116077#msg116077

While we obviously did not do quite as well as I had hoped, DJ came back after 4 weeks and played for us in the tourney. I'm with tower on this one. I'm wildly optimistic.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »
Seeing DJ play in that game last year was one of my proudest moments for MU basketball; however if was clear that he was less than 100% and not nearly the player he was prior to the injury.  I would love to see junior play, but the program would be better served if he just took a medical red-shirt.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2009, 04:04:06 PM »
We already did something similar with Trevor Mbakwe. Disaster.

As late in the year as Trevor was activated I'm guessing Crean knew he wouldn't be sticking around all for years, thus having nothing to lose.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 01:25:31 PM »
As late in the year as Trevor was activated I'm guessing Crean knew he wouldn't be sticking around all for years, thus having nothing to lose.
As you stated, you are guessing.

feedback