Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue's perspective...  (Read 4822 times)

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Vander Blue's perspective...
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:19:12 AM »
Obviously there are alot of things that go into the decision making process.  yet when you are a talent like a Vander Blue a huge factor has got to be "how good is the team really going to be"?  Given that how can he really consider Wisconsin?  I will give Wisconsin credit for a solid ten year run, after battling Northwestern year in and year out for forty years for last place in the Big Ten they have had a solid 10 year run.  But the program has been on a down tick, the recruitng seems to be getting very poor and there have to be serious questions on how much longer Bo Ryan will be around, will he coach into his 70's?

I can see Vander going to Florida ...young coach recruiting some of the best talent in the nation and an opportunity to play in a fast paced athletic league.  Same goes for Arizona and UCLA.  It is also more than clear with the class Buzz signed last year and huge class he is going to sign this year that Mu will be a top team with loads of talent playing in an amzing conference as well. I still think one of the big big attractions for kids playing in the BE is the fact that they are playing in NBA arenas in front of NBA scouts every night.

So from Blue's perspective it just seems you have 4 big time programs with top talent playing in big time athletic conferences and one prgram on the down turn playing in small arenas in cow towns in a conference filled with farm kids.  Just not sure how Wisconsin fits into the picture unless he just has some huge overwelming desire to play blocks from home.  I mean if you want to be close to home you could always play for Marquette or Lousiville or Cincinnati and still play against the best teams and best athletes.     

HoopsMalone

• All American
Re: Vander Blue's perspective...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »
Guaranteed games at Madison Square Garden in March when college bball is the headline act in sports has to be a big selling point for our program.  Games in Chicago, New York, DC, and Philly don't hurt either.  I agree that I think Marquette is objectively a pretty good place to land with a chance to compete against top talent and showcase yourself on some big (arguably the biggest in MSG) stages.  Maybe we won't get Blue, but it looks like Buzz is doing a great job selling the program.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:09:03 AM »
I am not stating we should get Blue or that Blue should absolutely want to go to MU.  However, what Buzz is doing is pretty clear.  It seems pretty certain that we land one of a couple different 4 star combo guards, one of a couple diffrent 4 star bigs, and probably another 4 star wing.  That will give MU it's second top 10 recruitng class in a row.  Huge things are in store.  Great young coach.  Amazingly talented conference.  but the same things can be said for Florida, "Zona, and UCLA.

Just not sure how Wisconsin fits in with that group?  I mean staying home is great and all.  But good golly wouldnt you kind of sit home and think what might of been?  Especially when you see those teams on the big stage?  Not going to take anything away from the talent at OSU, MSU, Pudue and Illinois but that might consist of 5-6 games the entire year.  the rest of your schedule consists of poor teams lacking top 100 players playing 1940's basketball.  Do you really apire to play Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, etc.  Heck Blue's HS team might have more talent then Wisconsin and half the Big Ten.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 11:30:02 AM »
Hay, don't sell NU short. Carmody is building a decent program there with above average intelligence players. Remember they beat MSU in East Lansing, UW, and Florida State last season.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

bma725

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:50:18 AM »
Just not sure how Wisconsin fits in with that group?  I mean staying home is great and all.  But good golly wouldnt you kind of sit home and think what might of been?  Especially when you see those teams on the big stage?  Not going to take anything away from the talent at OSU, MSU, Pudue and Illinois but that might consist of 5-6 games the entire year.  the rest of your schedule consists of poor teams lacking top 100 players playing 1940's basketball.  Do you really apire to play Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, etc.  Heck Blue's HS team might have more talent then Wisconsin and half the Big Ten.

Simple, it doesn't.  The reason they are on the list has little do with basketball, and everything to do with who they are, where they are located and where his family is located.

Not every kid makes a decision on where to play based upon their basketball future.  Sometimes family is more important.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »
Simple, it doesn't.  The reason they are on the list has little do with basketball, and everything to do with who they are, where they are located and where his family is located.

Not every kid makes a decision on where to play based upon their basketball future.  Sometimes family is more important.

Well obviously my question on that was somewhat rhetorical.  But it is clear that Vander has a tremendous ability that can at some point make him alot of money, if not millions of dollars.  If I was world class at something, say technology would it not be in my best interest to go to MIT or Cal Tech versus some school that is not going to push me against the best in the world.  Sure family is very importnat but I would think in a case like that they would push me to go.  As it would set me up for the rest of my life. 

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
obviously don't wanna get ahead of ourselves here, but just how BIG for our program would that be...talent wise? and also snagging him from wisconsin (all the badger reasons were already given)?

like i said, not trying to get ahead of ourselves here, but what if
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »

I agree with you that the Big Televen produces some hot garbage basketball on most nights.  However, they still get tons of TV coverage (ESPN, CBS, & The Big Ten Network) and there are still some dinosaurs out there who believe that the Big Televen is a great basketball conference, even though I think that they haven't come close to winning any of those ACC-Big Televen Challenges. 

That being said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a big time recruit would consider a Big Televen school because of the tv time that he will get.   

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 04:46:48 PM »
Just becuase you are on TV does not mean you are playing the best in the World.  I hope no one confuses the little league World series for the major leagues just becuase it is on ESPN and ABC!!  Same goes for the BIG EAST/ ACC  against the Big Ten.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »
From Vander's perspective, my guess is that Marquette and Wisconsin are mostly hometown choices while the rest are the basketball powers.

No offense people, but Marquette and Wisconsin have basically been about the same over the past ten years.  There are pluses to each - Wisconsin has a proven coach...Marquette has an ex teammate and supposedly will play a style of play that he would prefer.  But both programs have significant negatives too.  And for us to point out UW's negatives without addressing ours is a little disingenuous.  We have an inexperienced coach.  We haven't been to the Sweet 16 since 2003.  While he would be close to home, he wouldn't be home.

Granted, I would chose MU, but I am biased...as is pretty much everyone else on here.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »
Just not sure how Wisconsin fits in with that group?  I mean staying home is great and all.  But good golly wouldnt you kind of sit home and think what might of been?  Especially when you see those teams on the big stage?  Not going to take anything away from the talent at OSU, MSU, Pudue and Illinois but that might consist of 5-6 games the entire year.  the rest of your schedule consists of poor teams lacking top 100 players playing 1940's basketball.  Do you really apire to play Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State, etc.  Heck Blue's HS team might have more talent then Wisconsin and half the Big Ten.

I think most players know that the NBA scouts will find you if you're good, regardless of the league in which you play.  The #4 pick this year was from CUSA, and the #7 pick played in the Southern conference.  Last year, #1 overall was from CUSA, and even the MAAC provided a lottery pick.   If you're an NBA talent, you'll be found, regardless.

Some might argue that you have a better chance at making the league if you're at a major school, versus someone like, say, Davidson.  That implies that NBA talent is a matter of development, not genes.  I  don't buy it--take away their top 25 HS recruits and Kansas, UNC and Duke don't develop many NBA picks.  Their players were destined for the league before they stepped on campus.  Which brings us back to point one:  the NBA scouts have a way of finding you if you're good.

Finally, suggesting that the Wisconsin is at a disadvantage with Blue because they play Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State belies the fact that in the Big East he'll face Rutgers, South Florida and DePaul.  In the Big 12 he'll face Nebraska, Colorado and Texas Tech.  If he added Memphis, in CUSA he'll face Rice, USM, SMU, TCU, ECU, Tulane, UTEP, UAB, Houston, and UTEP.  It just doesn't matter, because, once again, the NBA scouts will find you if you're good.

Which brings us back to the other factors being the important ones--family, friends, educational experience, fit with the coach, etc. Based on these factors I would think MU has as good a shot as Florida, Arizona or Wisconsin when it comes to Blue.  I like our chances, but would not write off Wisconsin, either, nor would I give Arizona or Florida the edge in terms of providing a better shot at making the NBA.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 05:22:13 PM »
Agree Sultan, both sides seem to have many positives and negatives.

Big Ten isn't what it used to be, but they still produce some amazing BBall talent. UW isn't Michigan State, but they aren't Iowa either.

My take is that at MU you have a much better opportunity to "be the man," which plays into the ego of these stud athletes. Plus, our style of play feeds this. Jerel was the man. He got the ball at crunch time. He was featured. He got his shots.  At UW, you will be a cog in the machine -- a very successful machine IMO, but a machine nonetheless. That is where I give the advantage to MU over UW when dealing with ESPN 100-type guys.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
Like it or not, the Big Ten is going to be a fabulous basketball conference this year.  They will likely finish 1 or 2 in all the power rankings and they should do well in the NCAAs if their seeds are reflective of their predicted expectations.

That may not sit well with some, but they are going to be good, very good this year.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »
Hay, don't sell NU short. Carmody is building a decent program there with above average intelligence players. Remember they beat MSU in East Lansing, UW, and Florida State last season.

like he said.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »
Go Cats!
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »
I think most players know that the NBA scouts will find you if you're good, regardless of the league in which you play.  The #4 pick this year was from CUSA, and the #7 pick played in the Southern conference.  Last year, #1 overall was from CUSA, and even the MAAC provided a lottery pick.   If you're an NBA talent, you'll be found, regardless.

Some might argue that you have a better chance at making the league if you're at a major school, versus someone like, say, Davidson.  That implies that NBA talent is a matter of development, not genes.  I  don't buy it--take away their top 25 HS recruits and Kansas, UNC and Duke don't develop many NBA picks.  Their players were destined for the league before they stepped on campus.  Which brings us back to point one:  the NBA scouts have a way of finding you if you're good.

Finally, suggesting that the Wisconsin is at a disadvantage with Blue because they play Northwestern, Iowa, Penn State belies the fact that in the Big East he'll face Rutgers, South Florida and DePaul.  In the Big 12 he'll face Nebraska, Colorado and Texas Tech.  If he added Memphis, in CUSA he'll face Rice, USM, SMU, TCU, ECU, Tulane, UTEP, UAB, Houston, and UTEP.  It just doesn't matter, because, once again, the NBA scouts will find you if you're good.

Which brings us back to the other factors being the important ones--family, friends, educational experience, fit with the coach, etc. Based on these factors I would think MU has as good a shot as Florida, Arizona or Wisconsin when it comes to Blue.  I like our chances, but would not write off Wisconsin, either, nor would I give Arizona or Florida the edge in terms of providing a better shot at making the NBA.

holy crap we actually agree on everything here.

feedback