Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[May 31, 2024, 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[May 31, 2024, 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pitino Situation Turning Really Ugly  (Read 35228 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Pitino Situation Turning Really Ugly
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
Does anyone know if this was the establishment in question?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2009, 12:50:51 PM »
If you start firing all the men who have had affairs the unemployment rate in this country would soar! 
This isn't "having an affair." It's banging a skanky woman in a restaurant. A good comparison is Gary Moeller, former head football coach at Michigan. He got drunk in a bar and made a scene. He was forced to step down shortly thereafter.

Of course, Louisville isn't Michigan, but there is such a thing of going beyond the definition of bad taste. If Buzz Williams had done this I'd be outraged and demand his ouster.

The fact that Pitino is even entertaining the possibility of staying on is just outrageous. This is the most sordid story in college sports in quite a while...particularly when it involved a coach. It makes Mike Price's "transgressions" at Alabama look like a tea party!

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2009, 01:03:33 PM »
The most bizarre aspect of the incident is the assistant who served as his wingman during the "mission." Imagine what was going through that gent's mind as Rick was loitering over the target...

LON

• All American
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2009, 01:11:50 PM »
The most bizarre aspect of the incident is the assistant who served as his wingman during the "mission." Imagine what was going through that gent's mind as Rick was loitering over the target...

I'm pretty sure that same guy ended up marrying her 6 months later...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #104 on: August 13, 2009, 01:24:13 PM »
This isn't "having an affair." It's banging a skanky woman in a restaurant. A good comparison is Gary Moeller, former head football coach at Michigan. He got drunk in a bar and made a scene. He was forced to step down shortly thereafter.

Of course, Louisville isn't Michigan, but there is such a thing of going beyond the definition of bad taste. If Buzz Williams had done this I'd be outraged and demand his ouster.

The fact that Pitino is even entertaining the possibility of staying on is just outrageous. This is the most sordid story in college sports in quite a while...particularly when it involved a coach. It makes Mike Price's "transgressions" at Alabama look like a tea party!

+1

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »
[
Sypher’s Pitino Claim Not a First
April 28th, 2009 by rickredding

Sypher, then Karen Wise, worked at an auto body shop until she was fired in 2001. She filed the suit against her former employer, now deceased, claiming that while sharing a room on a business trip that he engaged in kissing, grabbing and making romantic attempts at her.

[/quote]

I fly for a living so I am no stranger to the road but I am not sure what sort of "business trip" an auto body shop team would need to make or why the employer would share a room with an employee. I can tell you that Air Force pilots would be outraged at the mere suggestion of having guys double up in rooms while flying around.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2009, 01:28:39 PM »

Different guy, though it would have been an appropriate ending to a strange and sordid story.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2009, 01:29:06 PM »

Now that is F'd up...or, the guy realized this chick performs despicable acts a normal woman would find abhorrent
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:31:59 PM by warthog-driver »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »

Just another "life lesson" imparted by professor Pitino to one of his eager assistants.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
EAT called wanting to know where he can get in on some of that action.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »
If you start firing all the men who have had affairs the unemployment rate in this country would soar!  Again, its a personal issue he has to deal with. Basketball was not involved at all. There are so many hypocrites out there is is mind boggling.

Unemployment is soaring already   :'(

No question there are hypocrites out there, but there are also many of us that have honored our vows from day 1.  Nevertheless, it really comes down to what kind of embarrassment these things cause a school.  Legal, "private" matters can cause embarrassment.   There would be nothing illegal if he was banging an 18 year old high school cheerleader, she's the age of consent but I think that would be looked down up even more than who he did get caught with. 

At the end of the day, it's up to the school and it's leadership to determine if the embarrassment (caused by legal or illegal actions) is worthy of dismissal.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »

Actually, no.  Tatum, the assistant coach, was the one in the restaurant as they were getting it on that overheard the two.  Later, Pitino met with the woman in the condo of the guy who she would later marry.

LON

• All American
« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »
Actually, no.  Tatum, the assistant coach, was the one in the restaurant as they were getting it on that overheard the two.  Later, Pitino met with the woman in the condo of the guy who she would later marry.

Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone else find it ridiculous (appalling, really) that Pitino keeps bringing up 9/11?

MUinCO

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2009, 01:57:56 PM »
Wow...is Pitino getting hammered in the press or what?  His big ugly mug up on CNN/SI main page under the title "The Ugly Truth: Rick Pitino wins games. In today's world of big-time college athletics, sadly, that trumps morality every time, argues Jeff Pearlman."

I wonder as this gets hotter and hotter UL will eventually have no choice but to ask him to resign?

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #114 on: August 13, 2009, 02:33:52 PM »
Wow...is Pitino getting hammered in the press or what?  His big ugly mug up on CNN/SI main page under the title "The Ugly Truth: Rick Pitino wins games. In today's world of big-time college athletics, sadly, that trumps morality every time, argues Jeff Pearlman."

I wonder as this gets hotter and hotter UL will eventually have no choice but to ask him to resign?

I know it sounds silly, but if another big scandal breaks someplace else in the next 48 hours, Rick will probably stay.

If news (and sports news) stays "scandal free" for another week, the heat is going to keep coming at Louisville, and they might have to make a change just to get out all of the bad press.

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: August 13, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »
good call!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #116 on: August 13, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »
I know it sounds silly, but if another big scandal breaks someplace else in the next 48 hours, Rick will probably stay.

If news (and sports news) stays "scandal free" for another week, the heat is going to keep coming at Louisville, and they might have to make a change just to get out all of the bad press.

That's the truth.  It's a slow time of the year for sports.

As much fun as I have hating on Rick Pitino, I feel pretty bad for him.  If some girl from 6 years ago came and claimed rape against me it would really put a dent in my life, but at least I wouldn't have to worry about getting fired over it.  If this didn't happen you definitely have to feel bad for anybody getting tried in the press like this.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »
Pitino needs Mike Vick to sign immediatley.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #118 on: August 13, 2009, 03:29:38 PM »
If "Brent" Favre talks of unretiring in the next week Pitino will keep his job!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #119 on: August 13, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »

What might end up happening is more women come forward saying he had affairs with them.  If so, that causes it to drag on and on.  We'll see what happens.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »
What might end up happening is more women come forward saying he had affairs with them.  If so, that causes it to drag on and on.  We'll see what happens.

Yea, I was thinking about that too.

I have a sneaky feeling this might be the opening of Pandora's box.

I bet UL is researching hard and pressing Rick to find out if there really have been others.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
Yea, I was thinking about that too.

I bet UL is researching hard and pressing Rick to find out if there really have been others.

Of course there have been others.  We all saw him in his biography, "Devil's Advocate."

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »

Did Pandora already come forward?  If so, I'm guessing her box was already opened by Slicky Ricky.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
Evidently, I remember reading a while back about there being plenty of transgressions when he was coach of the Boston Celtics...  If I remember correctly, it came from the other employees and support staff of the Celtics.

MarqGold17

• Walk-On
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2009, 04:37:32 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqU6MTNUtXJOly7OdulT0YU5nYcB?slug=aw-pitinonba081309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

As a college coach, Pitino’s ability to produce NBA players has become suspect. He convinces recruits he’ll prepare them for the pros, but he never took a Dwyane Wade – as Indiana’s Tom Crean did at Marquette – and made him a superstar. Maybe Louisville keeps Pitino, maybe the president buckles to public pressure and makes him take a sabbatical. Whatever happens, no one believed Pitino’s promise to stay at Louisville as long as they’ll have him.

Interesting Comparison there Wojnarowski