[Today at 06:55:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Nukem2
[Today at 04:02:06 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Turning back the clock  (Read 11812 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Turning back the clock
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:00:03 AM »
Turning back the clock

It looked a lot like turn back the clock day in Kasten Gym on Thursday afternoon.

There were a few familiar faces in the house hooping it up with current members of the Golden Eagles, like Ousmane Barro and Chris Grimm. Wesley Matthews was in attendance too, back in town after his recent gig with the Sacramento Kings' Las Vegas Summer League team and looking to stay in shape.

But the real story of the day was the appearance of Tony Miller, MU's all-time assists leader. One of the school's most underrated players of any era, Miller was on campus for the first time in 14 years, and seemed to be enjoying himself immensely as he took in all the changes that have taken place since he was running the show for the Golden Eagles.

Now 36 years of age, Miller is a year removed from a long overseas career and certainly hasn't lost much. He played in a couple games along with his brother, Jason Hicks, who formerly played at Akron and then Walsh College, and looked great -- those two nearly led their squad to victory in their first game before the team consisting of Darius Johnson-Odom, Dwight Buycks, Jimmy Butler, Erik Williams and Brett Roseboro made a late comeback to win.

Miller was matched up against Johnson-Odom, and it certainly was entertaining watching the past competing against the future of MU basketball. He played his usual heady, steady brand of basketball, and while not as athletic as he once was, more than held his own in that and the second game.

I had a chance to visit with Miller prior to the open gym, and will post a more in-depth look at him and what he's doing now in the next day or two.

The other interesting bit from the afternoon was the appearance of Monterale Clark, the Milwaukee native and current Hill College standout who orally committed to join MU's 2010-'11 recruiting class in the spring. It was my first glimpse of Clark on the court (he wasn't suited up a few years ago when I saw his Korie Lucious-led Pius team fall to Milwaukee Vincent at Wisconsin Lutheran College), and I could see what makes him such an intriguing prospect.

At 6-10, he's a very fluid athlete who can run the floor and provide an interesting skill set. In just a few games on Thursday I saw him crash the offensive boards relatively well, block a couple shots and alter a few more, and even step out and swish a three-pointer from the left wing. I also saw him fail to finish some shots in close as he struggled with the physical play (one game he was matched up against Grimm, who obviously relishes contact), which isn't surprising considering his lack of bulk. Clark will definitely need to gain major weight and strength in order to play a role right away as a junior.

Here's a few other quick hitters from the day:

-- Lazar Hayward is playing as though he's a man among boys. He's simply unstoppable in these settings, scoring at will in close, and knocking down many more three-pointers than he's missing. His confidence appears to be through the roof after his stint with USA Basketball's World University Games team. He's also benefitting Jimmy Butler's game, as the two continue to play on opposite teams and square off against each other more often than not.

-- One game today featured Hayward matched up at times against Buycks. Much bigger and stronger than Buycks, Hayward had his way in close but I was really impressed with the way Buycks competed against him. Despite being overmatched he didn't back down at all, and tried playing as physically as he could. Playing like that, and being as verbal as he has been, it's clear he's going to make a big impact in a number of different ways this season for MU.

-- David Cubillan continued his strong play. More than one person in the gym remarked that he's beginning to look like the Cubillan circa 2006-'07, when he was strong, confident and knocking down shots on a regular basis. He's giving nothing easy at all on defense, looking for his shot (and hitting more than he misses) and also handling the ball better. It appears as though he's really focused on having a productive senior season. Being more than a year removed from double-shoulder surgery undoubtedly is helping him.

-- Chris Otule left Thursday for Germany, where he'll take part in an athletic ministry. He'll be over there until Aug. 18, and be playing games as part of the deal. Should be interesting to see what kind of progress he makes over there, both on the court and off, when he gets back.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52137222.html

lurch91

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Turning back the clock
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 06:41:26 AM »
Nice, Todd's back from vacation and very hard at work.  I love all the news out of the open gyms.  It's great to hear about former players coming back too.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
I'm always amazed that the JS lets him blog this stuff.  It's super content, but never gets in the actual newspaper. 

I'd be very curious to know the %age of readers, as I'd guess MUScoop's scrape of his feed accounts for a giant chunk of who is reading his words.  (Meaning, the JS doesn't even get website ad viewers.)

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
Nothing makes my day better than seeing [Rosiak's Blog] as one of the Recent Posts-I'm not sure if that's a good thing that I am really excited to hear about the team or a bad thing that there really isn't much else going on in my day that I look forward to the posts so much.

Good Job though Todd.  It's good to have ya back!  And first time in 14 years back on campus, that is awesome!  I wonder why now.  Just done with overseas and thought he'd stop on by or if he was invited?  We'll know soon enough.
Marquette University, Spring '08

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »
I'm always amazed that the JS lets him blog this stuff.  It's super content, but never gets in the actual newspaper.  

I'd be very curious to know the %age of readers, as I'd guess MUScoop's scrape of his feed accounts for a giant chunk of who is reading his words.  (Meaning, the JS doesn't even get website ad viewers.)

That's a great point.

My guess is that newspapers know that the traditional newspaper format is dying/dead. Newspapers have also figured out that blogging is a great avenue for beat writers and some columnists.

What they haven't figured out is how to make their newspaper blogs profitable. They are in some uncharted waters there.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:03:42 AM by 2002mualum »

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 08:58:10 AM »
Rosiak is the hardest working man in journalism.

Fantastic news about Tony Miller being around. I hope this leads to some kind of recognition this coming season...truly one of the all time greats!! Matter of fact, he had a better MU career than Doc Rivers IMO.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »
Isn't Buzz recruiting a kid that's a top prospect as a football QB and basketball PG?  Sounds familiar................

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
he had a better MU career than Doc Rivers IMO.

Agreed.  His effort in breaking the press against Kentucky in the '94 NCAAs was one of the great MU performances of all-time.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 10:13:25 AM »
Rosiak is the hardest working man in journalism.

Fantastic news about Tony Miller being around. I hope this leads to some kind of recognition this coming season...truly one of the all time greats!! Matter of fact, he had a better MU career than Doc Rivers IMO.

Agreed on Rosiak, not necessarily on Miller having the better "career." Doc was a special talent, somwhat Wade-like in his size and abilities. Doc had largely marginal talent around him; TM was surrounded by better players, Mac, Key, Logtermann, Amal. A Sweet 16 group that gave Duke all it could handle for an Elite 8 appearance.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
I wish that Cadougan could be on campus to be schooled by TM now that he's back.

So... why hasn't TM been back for 14 years.  Is it just because he was playing over in Europe?  Or was there some sort of falling out that Buzz patched up?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »
Isn't Buzz recruiting a kid that's a top prospect as a football QB and basketball PG?  Sounds familiar................

I'm not so sure that he is.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »
Agreed on Rosiak, not necessarily on Miller having the better "career." Doc was a special talent, somwhat Wade-like in his size and abilities. Doc had largely marginal talent around him; TM was surrounded by better players, Mac, Key, Logtermann, Amal. A Sweet 16 group that gave Duke all it could handle for an Elite 8 appearance.

Are you saying Doc wasn't surrounded by good players?  Are you forgetting SMO?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 11:17:20 AM »
Agreed.  His effort in breaking the press against Kentucky in the '94 NCAAs was one of the great MU performances of all-time.
I remember hearing that O'Neal called Lute Olson to ask for advice for breaking kentucky's 2-2-1.  Lute told him not to pass through it, but give the ball to Tony Miller and have him dribble right at their bigs.  Kentucky at that time was built with a bunch of clones.  6'6" - 6'8" dudes who must have shared DNA all surrounding a point guard (Delk?).  And Miller ate em up.  Winning that game and the impromtu parade down Wisconsin Ave. is one of the highlight memories of my Marquette.  People were smacking city buses as we stopped traffic.  Then a quick stop in Theo's Superbar for a couple of pitchers and then down to the lake.  Awesome.  The Rumor was that if we had beaten Duke multiple groups of fans were planning an impromptu raid of "Zigorama".  I know a few guys who were hoping to claim the Zigorama sign as loot.  When we went up 9 - 0 on the Dukies, I thought Ziggy was gonna be pissed.

By the way.  After beating Kentucky there was a great full page picture of Tony Miller in SI.  He was in mid air making a pass surrounded by the Kentucky Cybourg Press.  It was the best coverage MU had received nationally in some time.  I framed that Magazine Picture but have since lost it.  Does anyone know how I can find it again?
Original member of the "Dean's List"

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 11:22:41 AM »
By the way.  After beating Kentucky there was a great full page picture of Tony Miller in SI.  He was in mid air making a pass surrounded by the Kentucky Cybourg Press.  It was the best coverage MU had received nationally in some time.  I framed that Magazine Picture but have since lost it.  Does anyone know how I can find it again?

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/home/index.htm

reinko

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:20 AM »

By the way.  After beating Kentucky there was a great full page picture of Tony Miller in SI.  He was in mid air making a pass surrounded by the Kentucky Cybourg Press.  It was the best coverage MU had received nationally in some time.  I framed that Magazine Picture but have since lost it.  Does anyone know how I can find it again?

You can buy old issues online at the SI website, so you might try there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »

Miller had the better MU career, but Rivers was the better basketball player.  They were different types of players...and Miller played one more year than Rivers did.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 11:31:55 AM »
Check the March 28th 1994 issue.  That's the one with the pic.  You can also read about them predicting O'Neill to Tennessee before the Duke game was even played.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »
Are you sure it wasn't the Butch Lee over NC cover?

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/toc/8531/index.htm

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

Miller had the better MU career, but Rivers was the better basketball player.  They were different types of players...and Miller played one more year than Rivers did.

Doc Rivers was a better basketball player? No kidding!

My point is, Miller had a better MU career, but Rivers is the guy with his numbers in the rafters. Perhaps somebody can explain that? I'm not even saying TM should have his number up there. But Rivers most certainly should not.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 12:22:09 PM »

My point is, Miller had a better MU career, but Rivers is the guy with his numbers in the rafters. Perhaps somebody can explain that? I'm not even saying TM should have his number up there. But Rivers most certainly should not.

I guess the theory is that a number should be retired not only because of accomplishments at MU, but because of the visibility their basketball career beyond MU gives to the program. 

That's the theory.

Based solely on MU accomplishments, Tony Smith should have his jersey in the rafters before Doc Rivers does.

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 12:42:03 PM »
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/cover/home/index.htm
Thanks alot.  That was fun.  I found the article and then went to the SI reader and saw the picture.  Tony Miller was sweet.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »
Thanks alot.  That was fun.  I found the article and then went to the SI reader and saw the picture.  Tony Miller was sweet.

I forgot how much I disliked those uniforms though.  No gold.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »

Considering the hype that preceded Doc's arrival at MU, his college career (despite moments of brilliance) was generally disappointing and in no way deserves a number in the rafters. He was basically given Marquette's version of the Irving Thalberg award for lifetime achievement, the most important of which was 20+ years of positive media visibility.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »
Are you saying Doc wasn't surrounded by good players?  Are you forgetting SMO?

NO Ithink he was remembering him
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 03:19:13 PM »
Perhaps the moderators here would consider posting only links to Todd's posts on MUSCOOP (as opposed to full text).

The content would be only a click away and it's more likely that theJS's support for Todd's stellar behind-the-scenes coverage will continue in the midst of cutbacks if there's more traffic.

It wouldn't make a difference in terms of audience scale but would help them make the case that there's a small, passionate audience.