[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Why doesn't Wisconsin have an NHL team?  (Read 13934 times)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
Why doesn't Wisconsin have an NHL team?
« on: July 14, 2009, 12:53:07 PM »
A few buddies and I were talking the other day about how fun it was to experience the Blackhawks resurgence and how much we missed having a team to root for in a great NHL market in Chicago.  

With that said, we were wondering why the NHL seems to have so many teams in warm weather climates and have avoided or overlooked obvious hockey markets like Wisconsin?  No offence to the Admirals as they seem like a well liked and well run organization, but I'm surprised that the NHL has overlooked an obvious place to have a team.  I don't recall much public demand for a NHL team while I lived in Milwaukee.  Is it worth lobbying for a team named the Green Bay Slackers?   

Does anyone have any insight on this?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 12:59:13 PM by TomW1365 »

GGGG

• All American
Re: Why doesn't Wisconsin have an NHL team?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »
There isn't a team there because when the BC was built, William Wirtz in Chicago managed to convince the NHL that Milwaukee was part of the Blackhawk's territory.  But in retrospect it was probably a good thing.  I'm not convinced that if a team had been placed in Milwaukee, instead of Tampa or Ottawa which at the time were the places they eventually placed teams, that it would still be in Milwaukee today.  I'm just glad that the city's been able to hold onto the Bucks.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:07:22 PM »
Answer: $$$$

And does Wisconsin really have a deep rooted hockey history?  Other than UW?  (Not trying to be an ass, just asking.)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »
This is really a Superbar topic.

While the Pettit family built the Bradley Center for the purpose of luring an NHL team here, Milwaukee withdrew their bid for an NHL team in October of 1990 "saying the venture was economically unsound and would produce a non-competitive team."

February of 1990 - Trying to lure a team to MKE
February of 1990 - NHL's interest in MKE guaged as solid

October of 1990 - Investors withdraw their bid for an NHL team in MKE

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
This is really a Superbar topic.

While the Pettit family built the Bradley Center for the purpose of luring an NHL team here, Milwaukee withdrew their bid for an NHL team in October of 1990 "saying the venture was economically unsound and would produce a non-competitive team."

February of 1990 - Trying to lure a team to MKE
February of 1990 - NHL's interest in MKE guaged as solid

October of 1990 - Investors withdraw their bid for an NHL team in MKE

I'm impressed with your prompt and accurate response.  Do you work for The Journal Setinal?  This MUScoop site has some people w/ extensive knowledge on many subjects!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
I'm impressed with your prompt and accurate response.  Do you work for The Journal Setinal?  This MUScoop site has some people w/ extensive knowledge on many subjects!

No, I'm just a computer professional with some pretty good google-fu.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 02:05:24 PM »
This MUScoop site has some people w/ extensive knowledge on many subjects!

Would you expect anything less from a 3000 strong group of MU alums, students, and fans?   8-)

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 03:23:39 PM »
I never understood either.  There are several semi-pro and the major college team in the state already, and most games are decently attended.

NHL would be great at the BC.  I live in Madison, and would probably sign up for a 10 pack of tickets (similar to what I do for the Brewers) in a heartbeat.

I am not even an avid NHL fan, but having a team to root for would turn me into one... plus its something to root for when the Bucks season is over mid February. :-D

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:28:21 PM »
Wisconsin already has the Red Wings.  Good enough for me; I wouldn't change my allegiance if they put a team in Milwaukee. 

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »
Wisconsin already has the Red Wings.  Good enough for me; I wouldn't change my allegiance if they put a team in Milwaukee. 

Wisconsin has the Red Wings?!?  I don't have any friend in WI that like the Red Wings!  I never thought that there were many Red Wing fans in WI.

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 11:11:02 PM »
That's because there aren't any.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »
<---- Casual Red Wings fan, and Wisconsin native.

can't cheer for any team from poopy Illinois.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 08:08:54 AM »

Wisconsin has the Red Wings?!?  I don't have any friend in WI that like the Red Wings!  I never thought that there were many Red Wing fans in WI.

I too and from WI and a Wings fan. Go to BBC during hockey season and you will see plenty.
But I like to throw handfuls...

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »

Lemme guess, you cheer for the Cowboys and Lakers too?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 08:21:31 AM »
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:35:59 AM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chili

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 09:01:27 AM »
Lemme guess, you cheer for the Cowboys and Lakers too?

Paper man argument. Wisconsin has a football, basketball and baseball team in it. Who are hockey fans supposed to root for? I guess when I watching hockey back in the early 90s when the Northstars moved from MN I should have been a Hawks fan? Sorry, wasn't going to happen. Next closest team was the Wings - and they were on Sports Channel America a lot then too. It made things easy.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
Next closest team was the Wings.  It made things easy.

False.

St. Louis is the same distance from MKE as Detroit is.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:36:10 AM by reinko »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 09:40:48 AM »
False.

St. Louis is the same distance from MKE as Detroit is.

Your argument still holds about as much water as a sieve. Because you know there are a lot of 13 year olds who know that. Just why there are Cubs and Braves fan's all over the country (TBS & WGN) - the Wings were on SCA a lot when I was a kid. Makes things easy.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:50:07 AM »
Your argument still holds about as much water as a sieve. Because you know there are a lot of 13 year olds who know that. Just why there are Cubs and Braves fan's all over the country (TBS & WGN) - the Wings were on SCA a lot when I was a kid. Makes things easy.

Being a fan of the Russian Five is un-American.  Do you root for Russia during the Olympics then too?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 09:54:07 AM »

Ok, so it's not proximity, I'm glad we have that cleared up.  I'll accept your TV argument, but don't get defensive when someone calls you out for being a fan of the arguably most storied franchise in a professional league when you have no connection to that team accept that they were on TV once a week during your formative years.  

But you have to admit, the Red Wings were on TV because they were so popular and big market (like the Yankees, Cowboys, Cubs, and Braves), so in actuality you got duped in by this machine.   ;)

Go Bruins!  (I moved to Boston 7 years ago from MKE and adopted them.)  ;D  And yes, I recognize the hypocrisy.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Being a fan of the Russian Five is un-American.  Do you root for Russia during the Olympics then too?

Should I root for team Canada like Pittsburgh? Also, it be more like rooting for Sweden not Russia since Detroit only has one Russian on the team.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 10:16:29 AM »

Go Bruins!  (I moved to Boston 7 years ago from MKE and adopted them.)  ;D  And yes, I recognize the hypocrisy.

If I ever move to a city with a hockey team I could easily see switching allegiances for hockey only  - since I really never had the full team fandom experience growing up. But I could never do it for basketball, baseball or football.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »
If I ever move to a city with a hockey team I could easily see switching allegiances for hockey only  - since I really never had the full team fandom experience growing up. But I could never do it for basketball, baseball or football.

Sorry to pile on but isn't that the exact definition of a bandwagon fan? Jump on the fan wagon when it's convenient and jump off when it's not so much fun? Perhaps that's what some people are getting at in this thread -- don't say there's no need for an NHL team in Wisconsin since you have the Red Wings if, in reality, you are not much more then a bandwagon fan.

Also, out of curiosity, what do you mean by this: "full team fandom experience"? I'm guessing it only has to do with not having ever attended a game at Joe Louis Arena.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 10:31:13 AM »
Sorry to pile on but isn't that the exact definition of a bandwagon fan? Jump on the fan wagon when it's convenient and jump off when it's not so much fun? Perhaps that's what some people are getting at in this thread -- don't say there's no need for an NHL team in Wisconsin since you have the Red Wings if, in reality, you are not much more then a bandwagon fan.

Also, out of curiosity, what do you mean by this: "full team fandom experience"? I'm guessing it only has to do with not having ever attended a game at Joe Louis Arena.

no that isn't the definition of a bandwagon fan.  A bandwagon fan only watches when "their" team is good, or is quick to switch to a good team when the team they used to cheer for stinks.

I completely back the NHL forming a team in Wisconsin, but will continue to cheer for the Wings until they have one.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »

Exactly. I grew up going to Brewers, Bucks and Packers games with my family and friends. I could watch them on Channel 24 every night, though sometimes it was Channel 18. I also remember watching them as kid growing up as long as I can remember.

But with the wings, I am much more of a casual Wings fan. I became interested in hockey, Wings were on TV a lot so I said "hey, why not?"

I haven't moved to a city with a team so I continue to root for them. But, if I had a team I could watch - even the Blackhawks - I might switch since I don't have the same vested interest.

A bandwagon fan is someone who only roots for a team that wins by the way. Considering I have been a Brewers, Bucks and Packers fan for over 25 years now - I would hardly call myself a bandwagon fan.