[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Van Sickle makes PGA Tour debut!!  (Read 7562 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
Van Sickle makes PGA Tour debut!!
« on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:38 PM »
Mike Van Sickle getting ready to tee off in the John Deere. VERY interested in seeing him continue to make Marquette proud!

http://www.pgatour.com/players/03/34/50/scorecards/2009/r030.html

This is just a huge, huge accomplishment for any golfer, let alone one who compete out of a relatively small Jesuit school in Milwaukee!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Van Sickle makes PGA Tour debut!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:31:02 PM »
Mike tees off at 1:35 - Here's the complete leaderboard for the event:  http://www.pgatour.com/r/leaderboard/

Here's a blog thrown up by Luke LeNoble (Assistant Director/Athletic Media Relations Marquette University) for Van Sickle:

http://mikevansicklegolf.blogspot.com/

Seems to have some decent coverage of the guy.  Hopefully it will stay up to date throughout the tourney :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:36:05 PM by Skatastrophy »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »
Go to http://www.pgatour.com/shottracker

you can "watch" each shot.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:48:25 PM »
Mike Van Sickle getting ready to tee off in the John Deere. VERY interested in seeing him continue to make Marquette proud!

http://www.pgatour.com/players/03/34/50/scorecards/2009/r030.html

This is just a huge, huge accomplishment for any golfer, let alone one who compete out of a relatively small Jesuit school in Milwaukee!

That is really cool! 

Thanks for the update! 

Is he full time on the tour or is this an invite type of tournament for him?  I guess I could do the research myself, but just wondering if someone knew the exact protocal and what not since I have absolutely no idea how the golf world works in that regard.
Marquette University, Spring '08

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »
As a non-tour player, he got a special sponsor's exemption from the tournament. He's got one next week, too.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 12:54:24 PM »
well, he's graduated, so he's a pro.  But he doesn't have his tour card yet, so in order to play in these tournaments he's received exemptions, whether from sponsors or from the tournament itself.  I'm sure he will be at the next Q-school to qualify for his tour card.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »
Ahh...Thank you guys.  Appreciate the help!
Marquette University, Spring '08

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »
well, he's graduated, so he's a pro.  But he doesn't have his tour card yet, so in order to play in these tournaments he's received exemptions, whether from sponsors or from the tournament itself.  I'm sure he will be at the next Q-school to qualify for his tour card.

Actually, I'm pretty sure he's yet to turn pro. He's got a couple team amateur events in his future (Palmer Cup, for one). My guess is that he's hoping to use the next two weeks to gain credibility for future exemptions late this year so that, once he does turn pro, he can earn enough money to avoid qualifying school (Tiger and others have done this after turning pro). I don't think Van Sickle qualified for the US Amateur match play portion so that's not an issue.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 01:23:41 PM »
By the way, he's playing with Colt Knost...one of the most successful amateurs since Tiger turned pro. He won everything is sight in college and hasn't been able to get a regular spot on Tour. It's so hard to get on tour it's crazy.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
-1 through three. not a bad start

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »
The Journal-Sentinel just did an article on Van Sickle earlier in the week: Van Sickle set to take Tour

The implication is that he'd turn pro after participating in the Walker Cup in September:
Though they're having fun, this is serious business. Mike Van Sickle hopes to make the U.S. Walker Cup team before turning professional in the fall. He can make a huge statement by making the cut this week and at Brown Deer Park.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
-1 through three. not a bad start

-3 thru 9 (he started on the back nine though, so he just finished the 18th hole).  Tied for 23rd at the moment.  Colt Knost, the guy he's paired with, it at -1 and tied for 59th

The leader is at -6, so MVS is having a good round heading into the turn. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:19:29 PM by Skatastrophy »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »
Checking out the shot tracker thing...did he just drive the green on a par 5 (hole no. 2)?

Edited to add:  never mind, they updated it.  That was his second shot.  Doh!  Two-putted from 6.5 feet.  Still, another birdie.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 04:56:53 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
Checking out the shot tracker thing...did he just drive the green on a par 5 (hole no. 2)?

no he didn't but the PGA shot tracker is confusing as hell. his second shot said he put it 6'5'' to the hole but his put was from 9'4'' and he left it 2'10'' short, but he birdied and now he's 2 off the lead.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »
no he didn't but the PGA shot tracker is confusing as hell. his second shot said he put it 6'5'' to the hole but his put was from 9'4'' and he left it 2'10'' short, but he birdied and now he's 2 off the lead.

I think what it means was that he was 6'5" away and his put travelled 9'4" leaving him a put of 2'10" to finish.  Not sure though.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2009, 05:06:50 PM »
5:06 cst

MVS is -4 and tied for 11.

Keep it going!

"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

nyg

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
-4 after 12 holes.  Tied for 10th.  Keep it going. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 07:14:40 PM »
Ended up shooting a 70....tied for 60th....bogeyed 3 of the final 6 holes....he's ahead of Madison's Steve Stricker.   

;)

http://www.pgatour.com/leaderboards/current/r030/

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 07:17:19 PM »
3 bogeys on last 6 holes.  Tough finish, but a great showing on initial tour stop.  Can't even imagine what his nerves were like, playing with the tour pros.

The Lens

• All American
OT MU Golf
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
With all due respect to Wes & Jerel's summer league games...there's a MU senior who is -1 through the 1st Round of the John Deere Classic.  He got as low as -3.  Not for your first PGA event.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: OT MU Golf
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 08:08:31 PM »
With all due respect to Wes & Jerel's summer league games...there's a MU senior who is -1 through the 1st Round of the John Deere Classic.  He got as low as -3.  Not for your first PGA event.

Very well done, but as most pro golfers will tell you, you compete against the course and yourself, not against others.  That's the big difference with other sports where you truly have other human beings doing everything possible to stop you.

Great first day for MVS.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 10:26:38 PM »
....he's ahead of Madison's Steve Stricker.

I believe his actual full name is not Steve Stricker, it is Edgerton Native Steve Stricker.  At least if you hear his name on any local TV or radio news, he is always referred to as Edgerton Native Steve Stricker.  I swear you can almost use it as a drinking game.  If he is doing well enough at a tournament to be mentioned during the sports report, try changing between the local channels during the 10 PM news.

Hopefully, WHEN Mike is at the top of the leaderboard in the future, he will be referred to locally as Marquette Grad Mike Van Sickle...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 01:01:56 AM »
I believe his actual full name is not Steve Stricker, it is Edgerton Native Steve Stricker.  At least if you hear his name on any local TV or radio news, he is always referred to as Edgerton Native Steve Stricker.  I swear you can almost use it as a drinking game.  If he is doing well enough at a tournament to be mentioned during the sports report, try changing between the local channels during the 10 PM news.

Hopefully, WHEN Mike is at the top of the leaderboard in the future, he will be referred to locally as Marquette Grad Mike Van Sickle...

That's funny!!

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
anyone know what time he is going off at today?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »
Supposed to tee off at 8:30, but due to inclement weather they are in a 3 hour delay.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback