collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mbwake Mature - please...  (Read 8977 times)

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
Mbwake Mature - please...
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:48:15 AM »
How does someone who quit on their team about 2 days before the start of aseason, attended roughly 5 schools in 6 years, and has shown nothing but immaturity get this article written about them?

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12727876?source=rss

Trevor Mbakwe to lend maturity, muscle to Minnesota Gophers
Junior college transfer shows his stuff in the Howard Pulley summer league
By Marcus R. Fuller
mfuller@pioneerpress.com
Updated: 07/01/2009 12:21:30 AM CDT

After snatching the ball off the rim, Trevor Mbakwe landed in a swarm of defenders who hacked at him.

In the end, the 6-foot-8, 230-pound Mbakwe was the bully.

He lowered his shoulder, took a power dribble and muscled in a layup against two players while being fouled.

The sequence was repeated all night during Mbakwe's Howard Pulley Pro City League debut last week in St. Paul — demonstrating how the junior college transfer should help the University of Minnesota's big men compete in the rugged Big Ten Conference next season.

Mbakwe's maturity isn't limited to basketball. The 20-year-old St. Paul native and former high school standout at Henry Sibley and St. Bernard's is learning to be a student-athlete and father. His son, Makhi (pronounced Ma-KAI), is 18 months old.

"It's been an enjoyable experience," said Mbakwe, who scored 25 points in that Howard Pulley game June 23 and had 24 points the next night. "At first, I didn't know what to expect, but it's nice. He's been motivational for me."

After coming back from a knee injury to play 11 games for Marquette as a freshman, Mbakwe transferred to Miami Dade College last season before returning home to play for the Gophers.

Establishing himself as one of the nation's top junior college power forwards was a lot easier than trying to stay connected to his son, who lived 1,700 miles away in Minnesota.

"They came down to a couple games and visited me," he said about his son and girlfriend.

Advertisement

Milwaukee Mom Lost 47 lbs Following 1 rule!
I Cut Down 47 lbs of Stomach Fat In A Month By Obeying This 1 Old Rule
Explore Now...

Milwaukee Mom Lost 43 lbs on Famous Diet
Read how a local Mom lost 43 lbs with this celebrity endorsed diet!
Explore Now...
Since May, Mbakwe, who lives off campus, has been home. His son has been able to attend more of his games, roaming the stands and sidelines at the Brother's Keeper men's basketball league in Minneapolis, and now at Howard Pulley.

Makhi has been around his dad playing basketball so much now that "his first word was 'ball,' " said Mbakwe, who transferred to the Gophers partly to be closer to his family.

It also didn't hurt to have so many familiar faces on Minnesota's roster. He grew up playing with junior guards Al Nolen and Blake Hoffarber, as well as incoming freshmen Royce White and Rodney Williams Jr., and the chemistry started building in team pickup games this summer.

"It's been really good knowing how each other plays," Mbakwe said "It's been a smooth transition, and I can't wait for the season. I'm glad to be back."

The Gophers are happy that he might provide the toughness and explosiveness they had lacked in the post game. Mbakwe, who has a 36-inch vertical leap, averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds and three blocks a game at Miami Dade.

How does that translate to the Big Ten? ESPN.com predicted Mbakwe would be the conference's newcomer of the year.

"I think I fit in real good as the physical presence down low that they've been missing," he said. "I feel like me, Royce and Rodney can come in and compete and help them get to the next level. They got to the (NCAA) first round. Hopefully, we can go to the second round or even further."

Gophers sophomore guard Devoe Joseph called playing on Mbakwe's summer league team "real fun."

"You can see how athletic he is," Joseph said. "He's always entertaining. He can give you a powerful dunk. He's going to make plays this year."

He has made an impression off the court, as well.

"He's been coming out a lot to our open gyms and working out with our guys," Sibley High School coach Tom Dasovich said. "He's always been a good kid and exciting player. But I think he's just matured a ton. Having had a kid and being a couple years out of high school will do it."

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Mbwake Mature - please...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:14:36 AM »
Say what you want, but, we could have used him and he will be a substantial contributor for the Gophers.

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
He's got an 18 month old kid back in MN...so he transferred to be around him and his family.  Don't know how you can consider that immature.  We might have gotten the raw end of the stick with the decision, but can't necessarily blame him for making that tough decision.
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:39:15 AM »
Superbar.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »
He's got an 18 month old kid back in MN...so he transferred to be around him and his family.  Don't know how you can consider that immature.  We might have gotten the raw end of the stick with the decision, but can't necessarily blame him for making that tough decision.

He transfered to Miami-Dade Community College...and did so two days before the start of the year.  I have no problem with him wanting to transfer back to Minnesota, but please don't start the family stuff when he transferred 1,000+ miles further away.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »
rugged Big Ten Conference

Was I the only one to laugh out loud when I read that?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 10:09:59 AM »

He transfered to Miami-Dade Community College...and did so two days before the start of the year.  I have no problem with him wanting to transfer back to Minnesota, but please don't start the family stuff when he transferred 1,000+ miles further away.
agreed.  Didn't show much maturity but was 18-19 years old.  No thought to honoring commitments to coach and team and moving another 1,000 farther away doesn't wash with wanting to be nearer family.  Scratching my head, that's for sure.  Actually sounds like he wanted to get farther away from son and girlfriend, clear his head, and consider his options.  As one poster so aptly put it many moons ago, baby, mama, drama.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »

Agree.

I really want/wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt... but moving to Miami to play JuCo ball when you have a kid in MN seems like a questionable move. There are certainly good quality Jucos that are closer to MN.

Obviously I don't know all of the details, but it certainly doesn't look right.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 10:16:30 AM »
We could have used the brawn and beast mentality, but I am happy we didn't have to deal with the head case.
SS Marquette

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 10:25:05 AM »
Anybody who wonders whether Marquette looks the other way when its basketball players have questionable academic qualifications need only look at Trevor M. He's a train wreck and counting on him in any way was a huge mistake.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 10:28:21 AM »
Milwaukee Mom Lost 47 lbs Following 1 rule!
I Cut Down 47 lbs of Stomach Fat In A Month By Obeying This 1 Old Rule
Explore Now...

What this article really fails to explain is how this Milwaukee mom lost 47 pounds.  What one rule did she follow?

Fullodds

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:57:49 AM »
She obviously did not go to Marquette. ;)

I say that Trevor scared the 47 pounds off of her by dunking.

What this article really fails to explain is how this Milwaukee mom lost 47 pounds.  What one rule did she follow?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 12:35:43 PM »
Anybody who wonders whether Marquette looks the other way when its basketball players have questionable academic qualifications need only look at Trevor M. He's a train wreck and counting on him in any way was a huge mistake.

Let's hope Maymon and others aren't in the same situation because there are a number of folks from Madison that think he is.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »
Let's hope Maymon and others aren't in the same situation because there are a number of folks from Madison that think he is.

My impression (thus far) from Buzz is that the last thing he'd do is recruit young men of questionable character.

Jeronne, admittedly, hadn't focused on academics until late in his HS academic career.  It will always be debatable whether online classes taken outside of a school are shady or not... but the fact that the classes were recommended by his school in addition to the fact that his ACT score jumped up drastically seems to show that Maymon really got his butt in gear academically.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 12:48:47 PM »
My impression (thus far) from Buzz is that the last thing he'd do is recruit young men of questionable character.

Jeronne, admittedly, hadn't focused on academics until late in his HS academic career.  It will always be debatable whether online classes taken outside of a school are shady or not... but the fact that the classes were recommended by his school in addition to the fact that his ACT score jumped up drastically seems to show that Maymon really got his butt in gear academically.

The fact his ACT scored jump drastically usually is a red flag for the clearing house, let's hope there are no issues there.  Incidentally, I wasn't questioning his (Maymon's) character, but definitely some maturity issues....the same that can be said about Mbakwe (along with his own academic issues). 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 01:41:46 PM »
Does anyone still wear a condom these days?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »

I don't think the implication was that Maymon has a kid if that's what you are driving at.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 01:56:03 PM »
Not implicating Maymon at all. Know nothing about him other than what I read. My question was pointed more at the so called "maturity" of ballplayers and society in general.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »
I don't see Mbakwe and Maymon being anything alike. 

Let's remember, Mbakwe even left his high school in Minnesota to go to a high school in flipping Georgia... then later came back to the Twin Cities and enrolled at yet another high school.  Headcase.

Gophers will be a solid team this year, though... and they would be with or without Travelling Trevor. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »

Those things are for sailors.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2009, 12:47:57 AM »
From a gopher board:

Facts34 

Question marks
I'm hearing some fairly disturbing rumors, from reliable sources, that don't have Trevor in a Gopher uniform this season.

I will say more when I know more definitively, but the sources are legit.

BWAHHAAAAA..... if true. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 09:06:22 PM »

He transfered to Miami-Dade Community College...and did so two days before the start of the year.  I have no problem with him wanting to transfer back to Minnesota, but please don't start the family stuff when he transferred 1,000+ miles further away.

And don't forget that going to Miami Dade cost him a year of eligibility, whereas transferring straight to Tubby would not have.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:40:00 AM by Brewtown Andy »
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 07:52:02 AM »
From a gopher board:

Facts34 

Question marks
I'm hearing some fairly disturbing rumors, from reliable sources, that don't have Trevor in a Gopher uniform this season.

I will say more when I know more definitively, but the sources are legit.

BWAHHAAAAA..... if true. 

Why the laugh?  I certainly don't want the kid's life to fall apart just because he transferred from MU...even under the circumstances in which he transferred.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
When you burn MU the weekend before fall school begins 9 times out of 10 I won't wish good things for that player athletically anymore.  Have a good life Trevor but I'm not exactly hoping you become an all-american. 

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 04:54:02 PM »
When you burn MU the weekend before fall school begins 9 times out of 10 I won't wish good things for that player athletically anymore.  Have a good life Trevor but I'm not exactly hoping you become an all-american. 

+1

Or even all-Big-11.

I'm hoping for 4 good games out of TM this year...2 each vs. UW-Madison and II,II.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.