collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 1982 World Series  (Read 2178 times)

pillardean

• Team Captain
1982 World Series
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:40:02 PM »
With this topic I am hoping to elicite stories of those that were alive and can remember the Series. 

What was Milwaukee like during those days?
Did anybody go to any of the games?
How old were you when you went and what do you remember?

Card fans are free to weigh in as much as Brewer fans.  I don't care to get into an analysis of the Series, I would just like to hear stories about it.  Father/Son stuff or drunken stories after the wins/losses.  The feel of the city, stuff like that.  Get nostalgic and share some memories for someone who was born three years afterwards.

And if anyone has any pictures and are willing to share-that would be spectacular!

Thanks
Marquette University, Spring '08

GGGG

• All American
Re: 1982 World Series
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 08:09:34 AM »
With this topic I am hoping to elicite stories of those that were alive and can remember the Series. 

What was Milwaukee like during those days?
Did anybody go to any of the games?
How old were you when you went and what do you remember?

Card fans are free to weigh in as much as Brewer fans.  I don't care to get into an analysis of the Series, I would just like to hear stories about it.  Father/Son stuff or drunken stories after the wins/losses.  The feel of the city, stuff like that.  Get nostalgic and share some memories for someone who was born three years afterwards.

And if anyone has any pictures and are willing to share-that would be spectacular!

Thanks

I was in 8th grade in Madison and it was awesome.  I remember game 5 of the ALCS, it was cold and cloudy, and I was as nervous as I ever had been before a game.  I was watching it with my parents and my brother in the living room and screaming at the television.

As for the series, after the Brewers won something like 10-0 in the first game, I thought it was going to be easy.  They went down 2 games to 1 but won the last two in Milwaukee.  Game 6 ended real late because of rain delays - I feel asleep on the couch and didn't know who won until the next morning.  Game 7 was an absolute bummer.  Saddest day of my young life.

Honestly the great feelings I had about that team have diminished over time because the Brewers kept hauling them back year after year because the team was so bad for so long.  It has been nice to get back into the Brewers over the past couple of years however.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »
Was a freshman at MU.  What a great time - the City was really behind the team.  We had heard a rumor that if the Brewers won the title, that school was going to be closed the next day for a parade down Wisconsin Avenue.  It just so happened that the Freshman English class mid-term was that Monday and once it was sure the Cards were going to win - a mass exodus out of the dorms/bars into the Library happened for many of us that were counting on not taking that test!

Fun times. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:19:40 AM »
Was a freshman at MU.  What a great time - the City was really behind the team.  We had heard a rumor that if the Brewers won the title, that school was going to be closed the next day for a parade down Wisconsin Avenue.  It just so happened that the Freshman English class mid-term was that Monday and once it was sure the Cards were going to win - a mass exodus out of the dorms/bars into the Library happened for many of us that were counting on not taking that test!

Fun times. 

Tests for English?  I am glad I only had to procrastinate on writing papers, and not studying for tests for English.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »
October 1982, I was in my Senior year at MU.  I worked as an usher at County Stadium as my summer job, so I worked every one of the playoff and WS games.  The greatest moment was at the end of the ALCS when the Brewers beat the Angels and everyone stormed the field.  I was part of the crew on the field that formed a semicircle around the Brewers dugout to keep the fans out and let the players in.  After the stadium cleared, my buddies and I, still in our airline-pilot-styled Midwest Services suits, headed down to Wisconsin Avenue to celebrate with the masses.  I ended up on top of one of the statues on about 11th and Wisconsin and people kept handing me cans of beer.  I pounded down a few so fast, I had trouble getting myself down from the statue.  Some clown made off with my usher hat.  Everyone was honking car horns, dancing and drinking in the street, it was one of the greatest nights of my life.

So we planned for the WS celebration.  The Brewers were set to win the series 4-2 if they could win Game 6 in StL, so we strapped an old couch and cooler full of beers on the roof of my cousin's van to lead the procession down the Avenue when they won.  I had a night class that night that was supposed to go until about 8:45, but the prof let us out by 7:00 so we could catch the game.  In those days, bars just had little TV's (not like the ones today), so we watched on like a 19-incher at Miss Katie's.  The Brewers lost.  They also lost Game 7, so we never got to ride on the couch on top of the van.    

Great times, though.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MUbaseball49

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
I was also a freshman, with a room on the 3rd floor at McCormick facing Wisc Ave.  My test the next day on the night of clinching was calculus.  As I'm sitting there studying, the "parade" started on Wisc started.  Hmmm, calculus or Wisc Ave?  Needless to say, I was out the door and onto the street.  I high-fived so many people my hand was sore for a day or two, yelled Cooooop until I was hoarse, rode on the top of cars down to the lake and back, and managed to get flashed by some friendly females (amongst other things :o).  That night was one of my top five MU experiences, and I got my worst grade of the semester on that test!

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 11:15:57 AM »
bump
Marquette University, Spring '08

feedback