[Today at 09:44:26 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[June 17, 2024, 08:36:32 PM]

Miletic Commits by Pakuni
[June 17, 2024, 04:37:03 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by The Equalizer
[June 17, 2024, 12:55:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golden Avalanche  (Read 2199 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Golden Avalanche
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:17:30 AM »
Thought I would share a short story...

Went grocery shopping yesterday in Nashville, wearing my Golden Avalanche shirt, and while waiting for my wife in front of the store I had the following exchange with the store manager(SM)...

"Golden Avalance huh?"
"Yep."
"Who are they again?"
"Marquette's football team from back in the day."
"Marquette, Minnesota right?"
*Confused*
"I always forget about your football team. You guys have a solid football program."
*Confused*

And he walked away.  Brightened my day to know that Marquette University of Minnesota had football fans even in Tennessee.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: Golden Avalanche
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:39:42 AM »
Maybe the Marquette Hotel in Minneapolis has a hotel-league football team that's pretty dominant? :p

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
This story reminds me of an awkward plane ride I had coming back to Milwaukee from winter break a few years ago. The man sitting next to me noticed the Marquette sweatshirt I was wearing and said, "Marquette, huh? My son goes to school there." We proceeded to have this nice conversation about academics and campus activities. Then the man says, "So are you going to catch another plane to Michigan?" It hit me that we weren't talking about the same Marquette, so instead of embarrassing the man, I had to make up some story about my travel plans to a place I've never been. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:17:51 PM »
This story reminds me of an awkward plane ride I had coming back to Milwaukee from winter break a few years ago. The man sitting next to me noticed the Marquette sweatshirt I was wearing and said, "Marquette, huh? My son goes to school there." We proceeded to have this nice conversation about academics and campus activities. Then the man says, "So are you going to catch another plane to Michigan?" It hit me that we weren't talking about the same Marquette, so instead of embarrassing the man, I had to make up some story about my travel plans to a place I've never been. 

Don't cha hate that...

Whenever people see my shirt (in Northern CA), it's usually

1) hoop heads
2) someone from Wisconsin
3) someone from the Midwest
4) someone who knows someone who goes to Marquette

That's pretty much it, except for the March Madness followers. But then they forget until the following March.
SS Marquette

feedback