collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Flagrant Fouls in the NBA  (Read 6636 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Flagrant Fouls in the NBA
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
Tonight (4/29), Dwyane Wade got a flagrant foul for going for a block from behind and actually getting ball.  There was contact made and both men came down hard but it looked like a clean play.

Last night (4/28), Rajon Rondo hits Brad Miller in the side of the head causing his tooth to go through his lip and it was ruled a personal foul.  Rondo was clearly not going for the ball.  I do believe his intent was just to foul hard to stop the shot and not cause injury, but even in that instance it should be ruled a Class I flagrant.  The NBA reviewed the play and still ruled it a personal foul. 

What a joke.

GO_MU02

• Scholarship Player
Re: Flagrant Fouls in the NBA
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »
I didnt see the Rondo foul but the one called on Wade tonite was ridiculous.  The fall looked bad but Wade barely touched him.  It was ridiculous to call that a flagrant.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »
On a related subject...

What is a joke is D Wade's supporting cast.

I hope Riley is happy in two years when Wade can no longer run up an down the court.  It pains me to see the pounding he has to take every game because Miami has no other options.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:02:40 AM »
Tonight (4/29), Dwyane Wade got a flagrant foul for going for a block from behind and actually getting ball.  There was contact made and both men came down hard but it looked like a clean play.

Last night (4/28), Rajon Rondo hits Brad Miller in the side of the head causing his tooth to go through his lip and it was ruled a personal foul.  Rondo was clearly not going for the ball.  I do believe his intent was just to foul hard to stop the shot and not cause injury, but even in that instance it should be ruled a Class I flagrant.  The NBA reviewed the play and still ruled it a personal foul. 

What a joke.

So wait, you are saying that you had any faith in the NBA and their referees?

LOL... I lost faith back in 00-01 when the ref's and NBA jobbed the Bucks out of the finals.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »
So wait, you are saying that you had any faith in the NBA and their referees?

LOL... I lost faith back in 00-01 when the ref's and NBA jobbed the Bucks out of the finals.

It's nice to see that whining about the refs isn't limited only to Marquette games on this board.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »
Though Donaghy’s examples end there (well, at least the publically known examples), the more one digs through the NBA’s recent past, the more such shenanigans seem to come to light. A prime example may just be the 2001 NBA Eastern Conference Finals between the Milwaukee Bucks and the Philadelphia 76ers. The Bucks went 52-30 that season while the 76ers posted an even better record of 56-26. Both teams were first in their respective division. And while the 76ers did possess league MVP Allen Iverson, Coach of the Year Larry Brown, Defensive Player of the year Dikembe Mutumbo, and the NBA’s 6th Man of the Year Aaron McKie, the Bucks were no push-overs. However, during the course of the seven game series, all the calls went the 76ers way. The Bucks were called for 43 more fouls than the 76ers while also being called for 11 technical fouls compared to 2 for the 76ers. The Bucks also were tagged with 4 flagrant fouls (none for the 76ers), one of which suspended Bucks center Scott Williams for Game 7. But here’s the strange part – at that time in NBA history, there was a point system amassed by the league counting intentional and flagrant fouls. When a player’s tally reached 12 points, he was suspended for a game. In Williams case, he had 11 points against him. But after Game 6 (in which he accrued his 11th point), the league reviewed Williams flagrant foul and decided it wasn’t a one point flagrant foul, but a two point flagrant. Thus giving Williams 12 points and instantly suspending him for Game 7. And rumors abounded that should the Bucks complain to the media regarding the situation, the NBA threatened to penalize the Bucks their first round draft pick in the upcoming draft (and this was after the Bucks’ franchise as well as both Bucks’ head coach George Karl and guard Ray Allen had already been fined a grand total of $85,000 for saying that the NBA would rather see the 76ers in the Finals against the Lakers rather than the Bucks. Allen was quoted as saying, “I think there's no question. The league, as a marketing machine, the bottom line is about making money. It behooves everybody for the league to make more money, and the league knows that Philadelphia is going to make more money with L.A. than we would with L.A.”) Needless to say, the 76ers won Game 7 by the score of 108-91.

its not whining when its real.  NCAA is a different story, as it has always seemed much more balanced than the NBA.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »
1. If the NBA cares so much about ratings that it would fix games, the San Antonio Spurs wouldn't have sniffed the NBA Finals three times in the past decade.

2.  If FREAKIN' Glenn Robinson doesn't miss that short bunny at the end of Game 5, the Bucks are in the Finals.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:21:43 PM »
Read the new Bill Simmons Sports Guy Blog on espn.com.  He talks about this phenomenon of how bad the refs are in the NBA, and he is a huge NBA fan.

As he puts it, the refs in the NBA don't "fix" the games... however they do "orchestrate" the games.

Your telling me that last year the NBA didn't try their hardest to make it Boston vs. LA?  Or this year is Cleveland vs. LA.... its a joke how much they talk it up, and the simple fact that some players in the NBA end up shooting over 20 free throws in a game (Kobe, D-Wade looking at you) is a joke.

Also, why can Dalembert scratch, kick, pretty much assault Dwight Howard, however when Howard makes one aggressive move, and now is suspended... possibly because the NBA wants a game 7?  Watch the play, Dalembert is literally pushing Howard, full-fledged two arms outstretched.

As Mike and Mike put it one morning, thank goodness Shaq doesn't have a short temper, because if he did, many NBA players would have died in the late 90's early 00's the way he was treated down low.

I really think this offseason the NBA needs to look at how dominant big men are treated in the NBA (Howard, Ming).  Watch the games, all game they are just mauled by the opposing tall role players (Pryzbilla, calling you).
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 11:08:33 AM »
On a related subject...

What is a joke is D Wade's supporting cast.

I hope Riley is happy in two years when Wade can no longer run up an down the court.  It pains me to see the pounding he has to take every game because Miami has no other options.

I hope not because in two year's he'll be playing for the bulls, next to rose, making the best back court in nba history.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »

What a joke.

I saw both games.  I somewhat agree.  Nonetheless, I believe the refs called the flagrant on Wade to "cool" off the players.  That game was beginning to get a little out of control.  The refs knew full well that Wade was pissed re the hard foul on him earlier in the game.  The refs were just trying to make a point...in my opinion....the flagrant brought a bit more order to the chaotic game.

As for the Bulls game, definitely a flagrant...but I didn't expect it to be called at that point in the game.  Miller should have knocked down the free throws or faked a concussion to get out of the FT's.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »
I hope not because in two year's he'll be playing for the bulls, next to rose, making the best back court in nba history.

I would love to see Wade actually get to play the #2 with a good PG, instead of his normal 1.5.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »
Anyone seen Rondo's FF last night?  I was watching the Celtics home announcers, and they screaming how Heinrich "boxed him out passed the 3 point line, and then flopped into the media table"  They then went on to explain that the reason why it happen was "because of that crybaby Brad Miller.

These guys are a joke.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
Not surprised about the Celtic commentators...most people in boston lack common sense (to wit: ted kennedy). 

Somebody put a bratwurst in Kevin Garnett's mouth...what a pud.  :P
I have never seen anyone trash talk from the bench.  He should have been given a few technicals.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »
Anyone seen Rondo's FF last night?  I was watching the Celtics home announcers, and they screaming how Heinrich "boxed him out passed the 3 point line, and then flopped into the media table"  They then went on to explain that the reason why it happen was "because of that crybaby Brad Miller.

These guys are a joke.

Tommy Heinsohn?

I saw somewhere that when Rondo fouled Miller, Heinsohn was screaming "WHO TOUCHED HIM?" over and over.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

feedback