[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Pitt "clearly the best team in the BE"  (Read 10405 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Pitt "clearly the best team in the BE"
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 11:15:23 AM »
Also interesting to note, Pitt is #10th of 16 for conference SOS .. MU's is #2.

....TEAM...........CONFERENCE RPI.........CONF SOS....SOS RANK
Marquette---------------.5950------------------.5501-----------2
Pittsburgh---------------.5719------------------.4923----------10
Villanova----------------.5462------------------.5394-----------3
Syracuse-----------------.5377------------------.4947-----------8
Georgetown-------------.5360------------------.4925-----------9
Louisville----------------.5353------------------.4916----------11
Notre Dame-------------.5166------------------.4983------------6
Connecticut------------.5129------------------.5556------------1
West Virginia-----------.5035------------------.4809----------15
DePaul------------------.4983------------------.5112-----------4
Providence--------------.4677------------------.4872----------14
Seton Hall---------------.4638------------------.4984----------5
St. John's----------------.4626------------------.4968-----------7
South Florida-----------.4277------------------.4903----------13
Cincinnati---------------.4011------------------.4913----------12
Rutgers------------------.3983------------------.4680----------16

http://bigeastbasketball.blogspot.com/2007/01/big-east-conference-rpi-ratings.html

gopitt

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
Also interesting to note, Pitt is #10th of 16 for conference SOS .. MU's is #2.

I see where you are getting your stats and I'm not sure how they are coming to their analysis, but kenpom has decidedly different numbers as do all the other more widely read rpi indicators.

http://http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2007, 01:00:20 PM »
I see where you are getting your stats and I'm not sure how they are coming to their analysis, but kenpom has decidedly different numbers as do all the other more widely read rpi indicators.

Those all calculate the non-conference and overall - they are calculating SOS based on just the conference schedule (so far...).  Those are a week old though, new numbers should be coming out today.

Using the NCAA calculation for their Ratings Percentage Index, I have calculated the conference RPI of all 16 teams based solely on conference play and results. With the unbalanced schedule calling for teams to play some twice and some not at all, I thought it would be an interesing look at how the teams stack up in the conference.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:08:16 PM by rocky_warrior »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2007, 01:08:39 PM »
GoPitt: Check the link at the bottom of the SOS table I posted .. it explains how that guy came up with BE specific SOSes.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
Re: G'Town fans lack of historical knowledge
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2007, 01:12:32 PM »
Either by going with all time wins or winning percentage we are JUST behind them all-time (they were ahead by 50 wins after 95 years, and we are ahead by percentage).  Yet they act like we are some sort of flash in the pan that will have a winning season every 3-4 years or so.

Comical.  See all-time numbers (as of 2004)...

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/all_time_wins/2004_all_time_wins.pdf

OT: Just looked at the stats and all of the Conference USA ex-pats to the BE (minus USF) are in the top 50 for all-time win percentage. (top 34 actually)

Louisville 13
DePaul 20
Cincinnati 21
Marquette 34

Of the existing BE teams, 8 are in the top 50, meaning a total of 12 of 16 are in the top 50.  Impressive.  Only USF, Rutgers, Pitt, and Seton Hall aren't.

Syracuse 7
St. John's 8
Notre Dame 17
UConn 24
Villanova 25
Georgetown 38
West Virginia 40
Providence 41.

gopitt

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »

Those all calculate the non-conference and overall - they are calculating SOS based on just the conference schedule (so far...).  Those are a week old though, new numbers should be coming out today.

Gotcha.  I wondered where these numbers were from since Pitt has had a top 10 SOS all season.  I would have to argue that since they are only using BE games, this SOS is not valid until the end of the year given that most of the teams play each other at least once.  Just because one team has their harder games earlier in the conference schedule vs. later does not make them neccessarily better, just better earlier. 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2007, 04:20:24 PM »

Gotcha.  I wondered where these numbers were from since Pitt has had a top 10 SOS all season.  I would have to argue that since they are only using BE games, this SOS is not valid until the end of the year given that most of the teams play each other at least once.  Just because one team has their harder games earlier in the conference schedule vs. later does not make them neccessarily better, just better earlier. 

In other words.. the one team who has played the harder games earlier in the conference schedule has already proven their mettle... not to say that they are better than the team who has to play the harder games later, just that the latter team still has yet to prove it.  Which leads me to further wonder how anyone can claim Pitt is clearly the best team in the conference when they haven't proven ANYTHING yet... so you have to look at their tougher games to see how they did.. they haven't beaten any ranked opponents (don't like the polls? fine - 100% defeated against teams with top 25 RPIs)..  what else do you have to go on?  To put the capital R in Ridiculous, they are 0-1 vs the team they are questioning as being in the same level of heaven as them.  Marquette, on the other hand, HAS proven itself.  What IS clear is that Marquette is in the very top of the conference.  When the conference play draws to a close and everyone has had the opportunity to play their hardest conference games, we shall see if Pitt belongs up there with Marquette!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 06:58:40 PM »
How come the team that is "clearly the best in the BE" is down at halftime to Villanova? I would have thought they would be up by 30  :-\

All kidding aside, Villanova scares me. I'll be worried when this team comes to the Bradley Center. It should be a great game

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: G'Town fans lack of historical knowledge
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2007, 07:19:43 PM »
Either by going with all time wins or winning percentage we are JUST behind them all-time (they were ahead by 50 wins after 95 years, and we are ahead by percentage).  Yet they act like we are some sort of flash in the pan that will have a winning season every 3-4 years or so.

Comical.  See all-time numbers (as of 2004)...

http://www.ncaa.org/stats/m_basketball/all_time_wins/2004_all_time_wins.pdf

We now have 1368 wins through yesterday's game.  Not sure where Georgetown is.

patso

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »
The only way to resolve this argument (Where the Marquette board is being a little bit more logical and reasonable) is to play the game in the Bradley Center.
If you Pittsburgh guys get drubbed there will you concede?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2007, 10:47:02 PM »
Pitt has some good recruits the past couple years, and more good ones coming in.  Don't think this is (or should be) a matter of debate. 

Rocky - you need to learn how to trash talk - these pitt guys cant handle philly trash talk
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:48:46 PM by mviale »
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

feedback