[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Youssoupha Mbao .. newest Warrior.  (Read 34403 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Re: Youssoupha Mbao .. newest Warrior.
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2009, 05:29:45 PM »
I guess if true, I am not thrilled.  I am happy with the current makeup of the team.  I would hate to see someone else leave, due to medical, academics or otherwise.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2009, 05:34:24 PM »
I would have to assume MU did their own due diligence that told them his playing on a pro team wouldn't pose any eligibility problems.  My guess it would be similar to playing on a "juniors" hockey team in canada.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
I agree I hope this doesn't mean Liam is gone, but I am excited about Buzz's direction.  The fact that he is able to go out and recruit size is a good sign - but only in the country for two months and pouts, obviously concerns about if there is a risk of him being pushed to decommit by other teams if he really does look like he is good.

Let's not fall into the grass always being greener though.  We've been absolutely impossible to press during teh four years with the three Amigos - so I just hope we don't go from being completely unable to matchup inside to stop people, to not being able to get the ball up the court against a tough press.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 06:53:42 PM »
It sounds like this kid's high school makes Notre Dame Prep in Fitchburg, MA seem like Exeter Academy.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:35 PM »
If he has an eligibility issue and has to site out a year, then we are not over the limit on scholies.  Is this correct?

If so, maybe this was Buzz's plan.  Bring him in and let him and McMorrow bang each other for a year in practice.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 07:06:23 PM »
If he has an eligibility issue and has to site out a year, then we are not over the limit on scholies.  Is this correct?

If so, maybe this was Buzz's plan.  Bring him in and let him and McMorrow bang each other for a year in practice.

Not correct.  He would still count as a scholarship player unless he is some how paying his own way.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »
How do you pronounce this guy's name, jeez....  If he turns sideways when someone is passing to him, he will disappear.  215 lbs., Is this Manute Bol II ?

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
How do you pronounce this guy's name, jeez....  If he turns sideways when someone is passing to him, he will disappear.  215 lbs., Is this Manute Bol II ?
Looking at it, I would guess You-sue-fa Im(as in impress)-bow(take a bow)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 07:44:46 PM by Wareagle »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 07:29:45 PM »
Say that three times fast.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 07:31:01 PM »
Say that three times fast.

i said it 10 times quickly without a problem :D

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 07:35:21 PM »
Homer will come up with something for the dude.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »
I hope this doesn't mean Liam is done.

Intriguing project, not sure I'm crazy about it. I'll feel better if he can take the redshirt year that Ousmane desperately needed, but we couldn't afford to give.

Well, somebody is done. It is either Liam or Chris. My guess is Liam is not going to be playing ball at MU.   

mufansince72

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
According to the profile he is listed as a PG  ;D

PG = Post Graduate - As in prep school in the ratings

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 08:50:51 PM »
PG = Post Graduate - As in prep school in the ratings

Thanks for the clarification. It seemed to odd that a scouting service would make an error on his position.
Once a warrior always a warrior.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 09:18:26 PM »
I don't think the goods will live up to the sales pitch.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »

Now that we have that expert opinion....

(I know I know your gut is never wrong)

detroitwarrior

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

Bold first post there.

Care to enlighten the board on the sales pitch you referenced? I haven't heard one yet.......
Once a warrior always a warrior.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2009, 09:42:41 PM »
Anyone have the latest stats on this cat?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:44:45 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2009, 10:38:48 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. It seemed to odd that a scouting service would make an error on his position.

I can't imagine a scouting service making an error either.  They are ALWAYS right on the money!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2009, 10:57:17 PM »
So who is being shipped out?  As I stated in another thread, I wish this kid wasn't coming from Stoneridge Prep.  Ugh.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2009, 11:19:39 PM »
You can't teach 7'2"!!!!

That is why most of them never get off the bench in college. There are not a lot of 7" centers in college basketball and most of them cannot play.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2009, 11:31:01 PM »
I Have to believe he will redshirt this year anyways. Uconn had that 6"10" center this year that was not approved until the second semester. He redhshirted and now has his name in the draft.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 06:25:23 AM »
Okay, I know I am going to get worked over for this post, but I am really starting to get concerned over the signings.  Too many JUCOs and now a guy who could have played for a pro team, comes from a prep school that seems to be tripping some warning flags.

What is going on?  I know Buzz had to stagger the class this year, so Sophs and Juniors were brought in (ie. JUCOs).  But, this is really starting to concern me.  I'll have to keep my confidence in the administration that someone is keeping Buzz in check on this stuff.  I withhold judgment until we see these kids "clear" and what not, but I am concerned.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 07:00:11 AM »
Dano, I am less concerned.  I seperate the Mbao case from the JUCOs case.  You are always going to have "issues" when you have foreign players on the team.  Remember Ooze couldn't even play for his high school team due to eligibility issues. There is a guy at UCONN now who can't play until second semester this year for some reason (I think his name is Majok or something).  I am willing to put up with this if we can get the best talent available. 

I think we have a nice core of freshmen with Mayman, Cadougan, and Williams.  Buzz has done a good job so far shoring up the weaknesses of this team now that an extremely talented Senior Class has left (who played something like 70% of the minutes last year). JUCOs were a necessary edition to the solid freshman class.   

If he can get all this new talent to play as a team, then we will all be pleasantly surprised by next year's team. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »

What is going on? ... I'll have to keep my confidence in the administration that someone is keeping Buzz in check on this stuff.  I withhold judgment until we see these kids "clear" and what not, but I am concerned.

I think we are seeing largely why Buzz was hired, and I assure you, none of this is coming as a surprise to anyone who was responsible for that decision. He clearly is willing to take some chances that his predecessor was not, and there is no reason not to believe that is a large reason he was hired. It was rumored at the time and is bearing fruit now.

All of that being said, until there is a problem, there is no problem. The apparent lack of risk with most of the juco signings has been pretty well documented, so there is no reason to get into that, and as far as this signing goes, he is a player from Africa that has bounced around a bit. Is that in any way rare? No. There are an awful lot of guys named Ndjai or Koshwal, or dare I say Thabeet, Olajuwon, or Mutombo who took long, strange, and unspectacular journeys to D1 scholarships, and have worked out very well.

Just because the last guy, wouldn't or couldn't do the same thing, doesn't mean his way was the right way. Until these guys start screwing up, not graduating, etc., the only thing we can really conclude is that Buzz appears to be getting bigger and better players, and putting together a roster more closely matching those teams that we are expected to compete with.