Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Aaron Bowen - Second Thoughts?  (Read 14845 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Aaron Bowen - Second Thoughts?
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »
It was painfully obvious the "IMAARONBOWEN" guy was someone trying and I emphasize trying, to make a joke.   

As for who "Duval09" is I don't know, by his comments I hope it's someone close to him.  As for if it's far fetched for recruits to go on a fan board, it happens occasionally on other boards.   Pretty sure they do have that thing called the internet down in florida and I hear the young kids like to surf it a lot. 

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
Back to the question on what would happen if a recruit did post on the board, I'm pretty sure it would still be a violation.  All of us would be considered boosters and any contact between us and a recruit would (I think, based on limited knowledge of the NCAA rules) be a violation. 

That being said, I don't think it would be a major violation and would just have to be included in MU's periodic self-reporting to the NCAA and likely wouldn't result in any sanctions.  Still probably not a good idea to be in contact with a recruit through the internet, though...

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
Sorry for going back to Duval09, but as a Duval County resident, close to the beach, I don't get to the West side a lot, and as a result, have never seen Bowen over at Wolfson.  I was wondering if Duval09 had an opportunity to see him play.

And yes, the kids down here surf.  For the most part, they are also quite internet adept.

duval09

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2009, 06:19:34 AM »
i have seen Aaron Bowen play since his freshman year.  I follow Wolfson hoops closely.  Bowen is the real deal.  He has some work to do as far as strength and conditioning goes.  That being said he has a high basketball IQ and is very explosive. He has a nice jump shot with 3 point range and attacks the rim. He needs to work on ballhandling but that will come and he is raw defensively but his athleticism covers that.  I'm sure Buzz and the coach's will work on the defense when he gets to MU.  Offensively he is ready now.  I watched him score 41 while not playing much of the first half against one of the highest rated schools in Jacksonville a year ago.

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2009, 07:47:48 AM »
Thx Duval.  I'll make it out to see him at some point this year.  My kids go to Stanton, and they will probably get them this year (which should be a blowout for Wolfson!).  I'll be the tall guy in an MU T-shirt. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »
Back to the question on what would happen if a recruit did post on the board, I'm pretty sure it would still be a violation.  All of us would be considered boosters and any contact between us and a recruit would (I think, based on limited knowledge of the NCAA rules) be a violation. 

That being said, I don't think it would be a major violation and would just have to be included in MU's periodic self-reporting to the NCAA and likely wouldn't result in any sanctions.  Still probably not a good idea to be in contact with a recruit through the internet, though...

I think I would need the definition that the NCAA uses for "Booster"

it is against their rules for the kid to have a fan club who are in no way affiliated with MU? 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2009, 10:49:06 AM »
Hey Duval nice hearing from you.

Sounds like some good stuff from Mr. Bowen.  Aaron has such an incredible opportunity at MU.  He will be coming into a situation that is tailor made for him.  That is the need for a big two guard.  So the opportuunity is simply great,not to mention playing against NBA talent every day at practice and in games.  Not to mention He is going to be playing on TV every game and will be playing for a team that will compete for BE and NAtional championships by the time he gets here.  Not sure if you know but Mu just signed the #1 rated recruiting class in the country just edging out UNC and the class after has AAron and a 6'10 kid that is going to be incredible. 

LAstly, not sure how much you follow Mu hoops but what Buzz did with Wesley Matthews and Jerel Mcneal two 2g like Aaron over the course of the last year should have every guard in the country wanting to come to MU.  They were like completely different players.  Mcneal exploded into being a 2nd team AP all-american and had a year we have not seen since DWAde.  Wesley MAthews went from a ten point a game ghost into a 18 point a game NBA draft choice.  The coaches at the NBA camp marveled about his IQ and all around game.  Wesley on a number of occasions has publically thanked Buzz form what he did to his game to make him what he turned into, after 3 years of being a forgotten role player.  I hope Aaron is half as excited to be at Mu as we are to have him.  19,000+ MU fans chanting Aar -on, Aar-on, as he leads us to big win after big win over the Pittsburghs, Uconns, etc. WOW what a future.

DoubleMU0609

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »
I think I would need the definition that the NCAA uses for "Booster"

it is against their rules for the kid to have a fan club who are in no way affiliated with MU? 

A few quotes from MU's NCAA Guide for Alumni:

ARE YOU A BOOSTER?

"You are considered a "representative of athletics interests" (i.e. a booster) if you:
Have promoted Marquette's athletics program in any manner."

I'm under the impression that simply by being associated with this board we would be considered "boosters" which means no contact at all with any recruit.

Here's the link:
http://www.gomarquette.com/compliance/ncaa-rules-guide.html

tharocket

• Walk-On
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2009, 02:44:47 PM »
It was painfully obvious the "IMAARONBOWEN" guy was someone trying and I emphasize trying, to make a joke.

Trying and not succeeding.

Still, the moderator on this board is using some pretty shady tactics to cover his ass. I saw all the posts before he deleted them and (apparently) banned IMAaronBowen.  It was clearly an attempt at a joke, so why is the moderator listing people's schools and locations. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »
Oh, look.  Another guy using the same IP address coming in to defend some other poster who was banned.  Gosh .. this is such a tough call.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »
A few quotes from MU's NCAA Guide for Alumni:

ARE YOU A BOOSTER?

"You are considered a "representative of athletics interests" (i.e. a booster) if you:
Have promoted Marquette's athletics program in any manner."

I'm under the impression that simply by being associated with this board we would be considered "boosters" which means no contact at all with any recruit.

Here's the link:
http://www.gomarquette.com/compliance/ncaa-rules-guide.html

define "promoted". :)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
Oh, look.  Another guy using the same IP address coming in to defend some other poster who was banned.  Gosh .. this is such a tough call.

Then lock it.

Have the interested parties PM each other.

Hands clean.
SS Marquette

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2009, 04:32:03 PM »
Good idea.  3 pages is enough, especially since there's probably only 1 page of content on the subject.