[Today at 11:22:27 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Layer a candidate at Liberty  (Read 10306 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Layer a candidate at Liberty
« on: April 07, 2009, 04:15:03 PM »
Layer a candidate at Liberty

According to a report, MU assistant coach Dale Layer is a candidate to replace Ritchie McKay as head coach at Liberty University.

Layer, if you'll recall, was an assistant to McKay at Liberty prior to coming to MU as a member of Buzz Williams' staff last May.

Prior to that, Williams was once an assistant to Layer at Colorado State.

McKay resigned unexpectedly last week in order to become associate head coach at the University of Virginia. The new head coach there is, of course, Tony Bennett, who rebuffed multiple inquiries from MU during its coaching search early last April.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42622092.html

murocky01

• Scholarship Player
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Layer a candidate at Liberty
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:29:48 PM »
This would be a huge loss for MU.  It appeared that Buzz relied heavily on Layer this past year in various in-game situations.  He is obviously head coach material, I just selfishly hope that he stays at MU to help Buzz along the way.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 04:37:29 PM »
He should hold out. After a year on Marquette's bench, he's qualified to run a Big East program.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:45 PM »
He should hold out. After a year on Marquette's bench, he's qualified to run a Big East program.

<chortle>

thanooj

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
if layer goes, how about gillespie.  does he have a job yet?  Buzz seems to take care of former employees.
Original member of the "Dean's List"

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:52:56 PM »
if layer goes, how about gillespie.  does he have a job yet?  Buzz seems to take care of former employees.
Er...make that employer...

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:05:55 PM »
I wondered about that last week after seeing McKay take the UVa job with Bennett, makes sense.  i too hope he sticks around.  i think he could really parlay the Mu Asst job into  a better opportunity than Liberty.  i guess it comes down to what he wants and obviously if he gets the offer. 

the thing i liked about Buzz is his undertsnding of his weaknesses and willingness to have that experienced older mentor on the bench with him.  Many of us clammored for Cream to do the same.  It seemed he knew he was weak in  that area and tried to hire older wiser coaches, but was too maniacla and egotistical to even use them and they left after one maddening year, see Pannaggio and Sichting, now before the Cream lovers come to his rescue about a better job, did you speak to those guys about their MU year? . 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 05:27:55 PM »
I guess we'll see how badly he wants to be a head coach.  Liberty is a tough job right now, not only did they lose Seth Curry to transfer, but their next best player is graduating.  It's a tough situation to walk in to.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »
I guess we'll see how badly he wants to be a head coach.  Liberty is a tough job right now, not only did they lose Seth Curry to transfer, but their next best player is graduating.  It's a tough situation to walk in to.

Ergo, stay and develop this recruiting class.

All the while, you get to stay in one of the NCAA's finest digs.
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »
i think he could really parlay the Mu Asst job into  a better opportunity than Liberty.

Completely agree.  If he takes it - I can understand wanting to get *back* to a head coaching gig as soon as possible.  But, from an outsiders point of view, I think he'll have better opportunities in a few years if the Buzz and his staff can achieve continued success at MU.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 06:59:03 PM »
I am not sure how old he is, but he has to be in his upper 50's. He is not going to get a high level job.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 07:03:12 PM »
Benford should be on their list before Layer.   But Benford hasn't shown enough of a recruiting acumen yet to get on any lists.   Needs to step his game up. 

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 07:34:32 PM »
I posted this on the other board as well.  Look, I've worked in the media market where Liberty University is located.  I know the beat reporters.  The Layer name was just thrown in -- he is not a candidate and I doubt he would consider it if approached.  I will eat my computer video, tape the act and post it on YouTube if this happens.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
Welcome to Marquette, Mr. Gillispie.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUBasketball

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 08:21:58 PM »
Benford should be on their list before Layer.   But Benford hasn't shown enough of a recruiting acumen yet to get on any lists.   Needs to step his game up. 

Haha....your kidding right??? If not, you have no clue what your talking about.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 08:46:23 PM »
Welcome to Marquette, Mr. Gillispie.

I will eat Tulsa Warrior's computer video and post it on YouTube if that happens.  Why would BG want to become an assistant at MU?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 10:06:05 PM »
I will eat Tulsa Warrior's computer video and post it on YouTube if that happens.  Why would BG want to become an assistant at MU?

Aren't we some sort of safe haven for former UTEP coaches?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Pardner

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 10:52:09 PM »
Ritchie McKay replaced the legendary Stew Morrill at CSU.  Dale was an assistant to Ritchie there and took over for Ritchie when he went to Oregon St.  Buzz then joined Dale's staff at CSU.  Dale became an assitant to Ritchie at Liberty and then to Buzz at MU.  Buzz and Dale beat Stew for their first MU NCAA win.  Dale may replace Ritchie at Liberty.  If it wasn't for the "Six Degrees of Stew", none of this would have transpired.  Is Stew a headhunter on the side? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 11:50:49 PM »
Ritchie McKay replaced the legendary Stew Morrill at CSU.  Dale was an assistant to Ritchie there and took over for Ritchie when he went to Oregon St.  Buzz then joined Dale's staff at CSU.  Dale became an assitant to Ritchie at Liberty and then to Buzz at MU.  Buzz and Dale beat Stew for their first MU NCAA win.  Dale may replace Ritchie at Liberty.  If it wasn't for the "Six Degrees of Stew", none of this would have transpired.  Is Stew a headhunter on the side? 

;)

And since Stew left CSU, neither McKay or Layer could get CSU to 20 wins, something Stew did twice before leaving for the state of Utah where he and his family are from.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 11:58:22 PM »
;)

And since Stew left CSU, neither McKay or Layer could get CSU to 20 wins, something Stew did twice before leaving for the state of Utah where he and his family are from.

Yes, but Dale Layer did lead CSU to a conference championship and NCAA Tournament bid, a feat even the The Legend could not match.I suspect the good folks of Ft. Collins would take a Mountain West Championship and tourney bid over 20 wins and a trip to the NIT any day.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:59:56 PM by Pakuni »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 08:09:37 AM »
This is yet another example of Too Tan Tommy running off a coach.

Do you really think Layer would be publicly mentioned as a candidate if he didn't have serious interest in the position?

Cream can't retain any staff because the guy is a complete egomaniac and an ass on top of that. Layer wants out of MU fast because he sees the righting on the wall, Tommy Naismith doesn't know what he's doing!

Wait, wait wait. What?! Crean isn't MU's coach anymore? And Layer is still being considered for a promotion with another program?

This doesn't make sense! For the past 9 years MU has been losing coaches because of Tommy boy, not because they received promotions. Layer can't take this job... it defies my logic (ie Crean is a d*ck and runs off all of his coaches).

I'll bet Layer stays for years. Without Tommy around, MU will be able to retain everybody, even if they are offered better positions elsewhere.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:32 AM »
This is yet another example of Too Tan Tommy running off a coach.

Do you really think Layer would be publicly mentioned as a candidate if he didn't have serious interest in the position?

Cream can't retain any staff because the guy is a complete egomaniac and an ass on top of that. Layer wants out of MU fast because he sees the righting on the wall, Tommy Naismith doesn't know what he's doing!

Wait, wait wait. What?! Crean isn't MU's coach anymore? And Layer is still being considered for a promotion with another program?

This doesn't make sense! For the past 9 years MU has been losing coaches because of Tommy boy, not because they received promotions. Layer can't take this job... it defies my logic (ie Crean is a d*ck and runs off all of his coaches).

I'll bet Layer stays for years. Without Tommy around, MU will be able to retain everybody, even if they are offered better positions elsewhere.

It wasn't just the running off or running from but also TC's insistence that the only good assist coach is a coach looking to advance.  In this state alone McGuire and Lombardi would have been a lot less successful without Raymonds & Bengston.  TC too often wanted to always hire himself, you need balance.  If you talk with anyone close to the program you'll hear that many, many, many coaches left b/c it was just not the right fit.  Other coaches who stayed or have followed TC are being very well compensated. 

There were enough lateral moves that after a certain point you had to look at the common demominator.

Look, my biggest beef with TC was his in-game coaching, an old assistant could have solved that pretty easily.  My other beef was lack of big men recently, finding an adequate replacement for Dwayne Stephens could have helped that pretty easily.  This isn't about being petty, these were obvious flaws to all but one man.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »
It wasn't just the running off or running from but also TC's insistence that the only good assist coach is a coach looking to advance.  In this state alone McGuire and Lombardi would have been a lot less successful without Raymonds & Bengston.  TC too often wanted to always hire himself, you need balance.  If you talk with anyone close to the program you'll hear that many, many, many coaches left b/c it was just not the right fit.  Other coaches who stayed or have followed TC are being very well compensated. 

There were enough lateral moves that after a certain point you had to look at the common demominator.

Look, my biggest beef with TC was his in-game coaching, an old assistant could have solved that pretty easily.  My other beef was lack of big men recently, finding an adequate replacement for Dwayne Stephens could have helped that pretty easily.  This isn't about being petty, these were obvious flaws to all but one man.

Who is the old "sage" that you would have brought in to work with TC and improve his in-game coaching?

I think what you have said sounds good (seriously, it does)... but I have to imagine if it was that easy, every program would just do that.

Step 1: Hire young, aggressive assistant from successful program
Step 2: Hire former head coach with excellent X and O's ability to ride the bench as an assistant for 10+years
Step 3: Recruit well
Step 4: Win national championships

It can't be this easy.

All coaches have some level of ego, and finding a "hank raymonds type" can't be easy, or else everybody would have a guy like that. Right?

I'm fully aware that TC is a tough dude to work for (I personally know some people who have worked in the basketball office).

I'm also aware that his "style" is not for everybody, and some coaches moved on.

Tom Crean is not the perfect coach, father, manager or person (I know this).

However, I'm not sure it's as cut and dried as people like to make it, ya know?

When when of Buzz's coaches gets mentioned for another job, nobody blames Buzz.

When one of Crean's coaches (many of whom were promoted) took other jobs, out came the pitchforks and torches.

Why don't people blame Buzz? Because his ties are the correct length?

*For the record, I don't bring this stuff up in defense of Tom Crean, but rather to point out some of the hypocrisy of some people. MU's former head coach (regardless of who it was) was often criticized for everything that went on with the program (right down to the logo, pre-game music, post game show, etc.).

Where are these people now that Buzz has taken over? Everything is perfect now?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 08:50:59 AM by 2002mualum »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »

How do you like your computer video? Medium well, ketchup, raw onions, or topped with a crean sauce?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:13 AM »
Surprise, surprise, another thread hi-jacked over Tom Crean.  It's been over a year, do you think we can all just move on?  Seriously.

feedback