[Today at 04:57:21 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644753 times)

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #850 on: April 05, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »
Damn, any chance of hooking some fellow alums up with a bottle of bramble?

If I could, I would. Contrary to what many people think, we don't get any special allocations. We have to go fight with everyone else to get bottles. The only special thing we have is that we know some of the store owners who give us a heads up when they get their AB delivery, but that's it. They don't hold bottles back, it's still a free for all.

I would highly suggest looking for a trade for it, it is quite good. Not King Henry good (which is by far the best beer we have made since Rare) but still damn tasty.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #851 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:11 PM »
I been trying to hoard all of the remaining Central Waters Peruvian Breakfast all week, almost done, love this one, perhaps even more than KBS or Goose Island Bourbon County not to mention easier to get since not everyone knows about this one.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #852 on: April 05, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
Had been quite awhile since I put together some tasting notes, so here goes. And my sampling has taken a big hit since The Bomb Shelter closed.

Left Hand Fade to Black 3- Fascinating beer. Silky smooth chocolate taste, with a smokiness followed by a touch of heat from some pepper. Heat intensified as it warmed.
Dark Horse Perkulator- Not bad. Billed as a coffee dopplebock, was a little on the thin side. Coffee was there in the aroma, but not as pronounced in the flavor.
Lakefront “Dan” Baltic Porter- Love the idea behind this series, and the beer was pretty damn good, too. Hid the alcohol well, very big, robust flavor. Would like to see them brew a porter again.

New Glarus Hop Hearty- Was surprised by this. After their disappointing DIPA I half expected this to be light on hops. It wasn’t. Very solid IPA.
Flossmoor Station Rail Hopper- Not sure what the hell this one was. Hopped like an IPA with the malt of a double made it undrinkably sweet. Didn’t finish it.
Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot- Cheap for a 22 oz, which was nice. Very hoppy, not much malt there. Similar in style to Bridge Burner, but with not as much going on.
Abita Honey Rye- Big honey sweetness up front, some faint spice from the rye. Good drinkability, I’d almost like a little more bitterness to balance out the sweet, though.
Boulevard Sixth Glass- Out of this world. A big Belgian Quad at 10.5% but is still oddly drinkable. Nice malty sweetness with some spice from the yeast. Cloudy amber color, pours beautifully. I wish they’d distribute in MKE.

Boulevard Dark Truth- Big imperial stout, over 9%, but goes down almost dangerously easy. Perfect stout flavor, with some fruit and creaminess. Outstanding.
New Glarus Road Slush- Decent. Smooth, but lacked the body I expected for an oatmeal stout.
Dark Horse Tres Blueberry Stout- Didn’t know what to expect when I opened it. Heavy fruit aroma, but it was pretty well balanced. Another interesting one to try.
Dark Horse Too Cream Stout- Phenomenal. Like it better than Bell’s Double Cream, and that’s saying something. Hides the 8% exceptionally well.
Founders Imperial Stout- Exactly what you’d want in an imperial stout. Big, complex, brilliant. Expected nothing less from Founders, though.
Lake Louie Milk Stout- Very nice balance, not too sweet, not too roasty. Gives Left Hand a run for it’s money. Would love to try this on nitro.
Milw. Brewing Polish Moon- Not bad, but nothing I’d write home about. Would be a decent entry point for the style, but there are better milk stouts out there.

Southern Tier Old Man Winter- Not a big “winter warmer” guy but I liked this one. Lot of body and nice hoppiness. Enough alcohol to warm you up a bit with out tasting like pie seasoning.
Great Lakes Christmas- Good, for the style. A nice dessert beer more than anything. Lots of caramel/cinnamon/nutmeg taste to it. Not sure I could drink more than one or two, though.
New Belgium Snow Day- Mediocre. Tasted like a little darker version of Fat Tire. Nothing remarkable about it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:18:41 PM by MUfan12 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #853 on: April 07, 2012, 12:11:35 PM »
Had been quite awhile since I put together some tasting notes, so here goes. And my sampling has taken a big hit since The Bomb Shelter closed.

Firstly, your notes are impressive and well appreciated.

Secondly, when did the above happen? Was there just about a month ago. Great spot.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #854 on: April 07, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »
Firstly, your notes are impressive and well appreciated.

Secondly, when did the above happen? Was there just about a month ago. Great spot.

The owner passed away in March, had a heart attack before opening the bar one day. He had a heart condition, only 46 years old. Very sad.

I drove by there the other day, and the sign on the door says it's closed until further notice. I hope they can find a buyer, that place is on my short list of favorite bars in Milwaukee.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #855 on: April 08, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
The owner passed away in March, had a heart attack before opening the bar one day. He had a heart condition, only 46 years old. Very sad.

I drove by there the other day, and the sign on the door says it's closed until further notice. I hope they can find a buyer, that place is on my short list of favorite bars in Milwaukee.

That's terrible to hear. Must have been just after I was there. Was in town for Georgetown game and stopped by after hearing so much about it. Walking out the door I was already looking forward to my return visit.

jtrash37

• Starter
« Reply #856 on: April 28, 2012, 07:56:17 PM »
If anyone is traveling from Chicago to Milwaukee for games (or on their way back)... http://www.mikelikesbeer.com/UMhwy.htm is a great place that almost always has on solid micros, seasonal brews, and your status quo Wisconsin fare.  The food is pretty stellar as well. 

Some good friends of mine own the three of them, Uncle Mike's down by the lake has made to order burgers that are un-friggin-believable.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #857 on: April 30, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »
If anyone is traveling from Chicago to Milwaukee for games (or on their way back)... http://www.mikelikesbeer.com/UMhwy.htm is a great place that almost always has on solid micros, seasonal brews, and your status quo Wisconsin fare.  The food is pretty stellar as well. 

Some good friends of mine own the three of them, Uncle Mike's down by the lake has made to order burgers that are un-friggin-believable.

that'b Captain Mikes down by the lake, just in there last weekend - try the bacon wrapped shrimp appetizer, friggin' incredible for only $6

there are deals on restaurant.com all the time for all three locations

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #858 on: May 01, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »
I enjoyed the new Session IPA from Founders (All Day IPA).  Really enjoyable beer... perfect for a post lawn-mowing refreshment.  

Learned about it from Steve Dolinsky, who has a regular "Beer of the Week" feature presented by the owner of Hopleaf.  There's also a nod to Two Brothers Domaine DuPage, which has been my favorite beer to pair with food for years.

http://stevedolinsky.com/?cat=50
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:57:56 PM by Warrior's Path »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #859 on: May 01, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »
I love Founders Brewery. Their Porter is one of my all time favorite beers and is available all year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #860 on: May 02, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
I love Founders Brewery. Their Porter is one of my all time favorite beers and is available all year.

Loved their "Old Curmudgeon" a little too much this weekend.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #861 on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:50 PM »
Best Beer Region outside of Germany? The Pacific Northwest. No debate.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #862 on: May 02, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
I know some Belgian Monks that might take issue with that proposition.
Ludum habemus.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #863 on: May 02, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »

Or Czech burghers. I like a Belgo style Abbey beers as much as the next guy but the beers in Oregon and Washington are stupendous.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #864 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
Or Czech burghers. I like a Belgo style Abbey beers as much as the next guy but the beers in Oregon and Washington are stupendous.

Abbey is just a small part....sours, lambic, pales, saison, farmhouse, single, dubble, triple, quad, strong ales, blondes.....Belgian produces the greatest variety and styles with the most complex flavors.....until someone out west starts messing with Brettanomyces or using lactic acid bacteria this discussion isn't really fair.

The PNW makes wonderful and some of the best APA and American IPA's in the world, but they are a lot like Novak...they only do that one thing world class.....

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #865 on: May 03, 2012, 09:14:05 AM »

Opinions are like pretty boys.......

I'll take the centuries of perfecting a craft over the comparatively flash in a pan.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #866 on: May 03, 2012, 09:17:50 AM »
.....until someone out west starts messing with Brettanomyces or using lactic acid bacteria this discussion isn't really fair.

Think about what you're saying.  People in the PNW take to fads like flies to a horse's pretty boy... cut off the APA/IPA faucet and start importing aged nobles... my God, there would be a civil war in the PNW between the hop growers and brewers if someone started messing with sours out there.

EDIT --- Hmmm.... maybe I'm on to something.  Perhaps I'll go home tonight and see what happens when I mix lambic with Soviet stout (a hyper-hopped imperial).  Hopefully, I'll live to tell.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:25:44 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #867 on: May 03, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
Dark Horse Too Cream Stout- Phenomenal. Like it better than Bell’s Double Cream, and that’s saying something. Hides the 8% exceptionally well.

Tried on your recommendation - very good but like Bells Double Cream better....

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #868 on: May 04, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel any day for me. mmmmmm

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #869 on: May 04, 2012, 04:57:55 PM »

Tried on your recommendation - very good but like Bells Double Cream better....

So which is it

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #870 on: May 07, 2012, 02:43:04 PM »
MUfan12 say  "Like it better than Bell’s Double Cream"

I say "very good but like Bells Double Cream better...."

So which is it

Chili

• All American
« Reply #871 on: May 07, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
Have been able to try three new things lately......

Six Point Bengali Tiger - IPA, 16oz can poured into a shaker pint....pretty good, but a typical hopped up IPA. It's not as good Two Hearted but it was a pretty good beer.
Six Point Resin - American Imperial / Double IPA, 16oz can poured into a tulip....it's a good beer, but again not great. Nice bitterness but still floral. It's a thick beer - which I really enjoyed. The taste does linger a bit, but I am a fan of that.

Not beer, but still really worth trying...

Virtue Cider's RedStreak - English Style Cider, draft, shaker pint - I finally saw this on draft and wanted to try this as I have only been able to have some samples in the office in the past. It's easily one of the top ciders I have ever tried. It's not sweet at all like Crispin or 99% of the others out on the market, but rather very dry and almost champagne like. It's extremely refreshing and clean. It's worth a try or at least ask for a taste if you see it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #872 on: May 07, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
I stopped in Three Cellars in Franklin for the 1st time, neat set-up but wtf? their website states 'over 500 beers' - where? No way they offer even close to 500 beers as far as I could tell but they do have a great selection of midwest micros and the ability to buy single bottles is a plus

JimmyB!

• Walk-On
« Reply #873 on: May 07, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »
MUfan12 say  "Like it better than Bell’s Double Cream"

I say "very good but like Bells Double Cream better...."

Oh I see, first sentence was supposed to be quoted. Gotcha.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #874 on: May 07, 2012, 08:00:43 PM »
Have been able to try three new things lately......

Six Point Bengali Tiger - IPA, 16oz can poured into a shaker pint....pretty good, but a typical hopped up IPA. It's not as good Two Hearted but it was a pretty good beer.
Six Point Resin - American Imperial / Double IPA, 16oz can poured into a tulip....it's a good beer, but again not great. Nice bitterness but still floral. It's a thick beer - which I really enjoyed. The taste does linger a bit, but I am a fan of that.

Not beer, but still really worth trying...

Virtue Cider's RedStreak - English Style Cider, draft, shaker pint - I finally saw this on draft and wanted to try this as I have only been able to have some samples in the office in the past. It's easily one of the top ciders I have ever tried. It's not sweet at all like Crispin or 99% of the others out on the market, but rather very dry and almost champagne like. It's extremely refreshing and clean. It's worth a try or at least ask for a taste if you see it.

Along the lines of 'not beer', I highly recommend "Zombie Killer" if you can find it.

http://www.bnektar.com/
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:02:14 PM by Hards_Alumni »

feedback