Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gotta love the NCAA. Coach Cal bolts, he will take his prized  (Read 8087 times)

79Warrior

• All American

recruits and Memphis is left at the altar. On another level, the salaries continue to increase at a rapid pace. 5 big ones to coach some kids. The separation of the haves and have nots widens even more.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Gotta love the NCAA. Coach Cal bolts, he will take his prized
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
If the players haven't signed their letter of intent, they can go wherever they want.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:07:37 PM »
If the players haven't signed their letter of intent, they can go wherever they want.

I realize that. My point is this whole yearly circus is becoming a joke. Contracts are completely worthless and schools are screwing each other.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
The prized "signed" Memphis recruits are saying they already have their release letters in hand, they can follow him to Kentucky or wherever. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:33:59 PM »
The prized "signed" Memphis recruits are saying they already have their release letters in hand, they can follow him to Kentucky or wherever. 

Good for them for either a) knowing enough to ask for their releases right away or b) thinking far enough ahead to strike a deal with UM to be released if Calipari left.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 07:48:34 PM »
Is a non-compete clause ever thrown in any of these contracts? and could it be upheld if so?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »
recruits and Memphis is left at the altar. On another level, the salaries continue to increase at a rapid pace. 5 big ones to coach some kids. The separation of the haves and have nots widens even more.

$5 million to coach college bball.  Pretty incredible.  The football schools will always have more money which definitely puts the bball schools in a tougher spot.  MU will continue to offer large contracts, but $5 milion is just out of hand....so is $2 million quite frankly.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »
$5 million to coach college bball.  Pretty incredible.  The football schools will always have more money which definitely puts the bball schools in a tougher spot.  MU will continue to offer large contracts, but $5 milion is just out of hand....so is $2 million quite frankly.

I disagree. I think JC will more than pay for himself at Kentucky.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 08:16:14 PM »
I'm curious to see how JC will do in a conference where he has actual competition. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »
I'm just glad because I hate Memphis. 

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 08:23:21 PM »
I'm curious to see how JC will do in a conference where he has actual competition. 

Limited competition...more than CUSA but still nothing like BEAST or ACC.
Year in and year out who do you have?  TENN, Florida, UK, and occassionally Arkansas or Vandy do well.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Is a non-compete clause ever thrown in any of these contracts? and could it be upheld if so?

That's why most contracts have buyout clauses, where the new university gives the old university a big pile of money.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
If they get rid of the one year before NBA rule, Cal might struggle.   until then they've got a good one. 

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 08:26:33 PM »
Limited competition...more than CUSA but still nothing like BEAST or ACC.
Year in and year out who do you have?  TENN, Florida, UK, and occassionally Arkansas or Vandy do well.

I was looking into the history of the SEC earlier.

Kentucky has 43 regular season titles, LSU has 10, Tennessee has 9, Alabama has 6, and no one else has more than 4.

Kentucky has 25 SEC tournament titles, Alabama has 6, no one else has more than 4.

The number disparity is because the SEC stopped running the tournament for 20 years or so.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:07 PM »
If they get rid of the one year before NBA rule, Cal might struggle.   until then they've got a good one. 

And the NBA will almost assuredly make that rule a 2 year rule when the CBA comes up either this year or next, I forget when.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

that is not the point. the astronomical increases in salary will make it very difficult for schools like Marquette.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »
That's why most contracts have buyout clauses, where the new university gives the old university a big pile of money.

memphis is getting 200k, is that a big pile of money?

Pardner

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:17 PM »
When will the taxpayers revolt in this economy?  Calhoun is just the first of it.  Plus, Kentucky is still paying the last two coaches.  Even in Kentucky, the public interest will question at some point.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »
When will the taxpayers revolt in this economy?  Calhoun is just the first of it.  Plus, Kentucky is still paying the last two coaches.  Even in Kentucky, the public interest will question at some point.

That is a good point, because at those schools it is tax dollars.  I would imagine that the men's basketball program at UK will still make an overall profit next season and having competitive postseason games would in theory stir the Lexington economy. 

There are more important things to spend money on than a basketball coach though, you are right.  Especially at a public institution.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »

If the taxpayers of Kentucky are staring at a tax increase, and they see that Calipari, Billy G and Tubby are possibly the three highest paid state employees, their could be hell to pay.  Do not discount it from happening.

And not just Kentucky.  It's possible that coaching jobs at state schools become as "toxic" as working at a big bank with lots of bailout money.  So, just like all the Wall Streeters want to "buy their freedom" from Citi or Bank of America (who would have thought this would be the way of life on Wall Street 6 months ago?), could we see the day that Calipari wants to buy his freedom and go to a small private university?

How could their be "hell to pay"?  The state could, in the extreme, tear up his contract.  More likely, they slam him on travel.  For example, no private plane for recruiting trips unless he personally pays for it.  Try flying commercial from Lexington, and have to connect through Chicago or Cincy for most trips.  That will get old really fast!!.

They could also impose a tough expense report (again unless he pays his own expenses).  It could make the job very difficult.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:44:04 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »
That is a good point, because at those schools it is tax dollars.  I would imagine that the men's basketball program at UK will still make an overall profit next season and having competitive postseason games would in theory stir the Lexington economy. 

There are more important things to spend money on than a basketball coach though, you are right.  Especially at a public institution.

GOOD GRIEF!

It is NOT taxpayer dollars going towards their salaries. It is revenue from the respective Athletic Departments programs (i.e., basketball games and functions) and donations from alumni and other interested parties. I think it's unbelievably outrageous that college basketball coaches are now getting paid $5 million to be basically a marketing instrument for a university, but that money is certainly NOT coming out of the state income tax revenue or any other tax revenue.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 09:53:53 PM »

Well I guess that depends how you would do an ROI for that.  Incrementally how does he do that?  Kentucky sold out every game under BG so hiring JC gives you no incremental revenue there.  They were already in the top 10 in merchandise.   Exposure is tough to put a value on, but certainly with them winning more that will help and could be factored in.   If they win, they will earn more money from the NCAA, but it's only a few hundred thousand dollars.  But $5 million per year, I'd love to see the ROI on that to justify the incremental revenue.  He will provide benefits to them, but I'm not sure that equation makes sense at that level. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 09:54:15 PM »
GOOD GRIEF!

It is NOT taxpayer dollars going towards their salaries. It is revenue from the respective Athletic Departments programs (i.e., basketball games and functions) and donations from alumni and other interested parties. I think it's unbelievably outrageous that college basketball coaches are now getting paid $5 million to be basically a marketing instrument for a university, but that money is certainly NOT coming out of the state income tax revenue or any other tax revenue.

Right and wrong.  What happens when the athletic department is not profitable (see IU, according to a WSJ article a few months back), then the taxpayers make up the difference.

See what Vassar announced today.  A huge increase in tuition and a cut in staff because their endowment was wrecked by the stock market last year.  Lots of big time universities have seen their endowments lose as much as 50% (Harvard has said it lost 35% last year and many rumor it is really more like 50%)

College giving is also way way down,  A lot of rich boosters to the athletic department are no longer rich.  A disproportionally high number came from the financial services industry (i.e., hedge fund managers) and they were wiped out.  Dick Strong is a fraction of himself.

The world has changed, it will catch up to the state universities very soon.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:59:42 PM by AnotherMU84 »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
Boosters will pay most of his salary just like at all big time programs.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
Boosters will pay most of his salary just like at all big time programs.

Yup

feedback