Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Recruiting as of 6/15/24 by Plaque Lives Matter!
[June 16, 2024, 07:21:10 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by MU82
[June 16, 2024, 06:39:26 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Herman Cain
[June 16, 2024, 06:05:09 PM]

NBA green room by Skatastrophy
[June 16, 2024, 03:09:36 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 16, 2024, 02:42:15 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by We R Final Four
[June 16, 2024, 11:50:43 AM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

If not Darius Smith who do you want to fill the next 2009/2010 scholarship?

DeAndre Kane
15 (19.7%)
Glenn Bryant
10 (13.2%)
Wait for the coaching carousel to stop and see who becomes available.
30 (39.5%)
Marcus Jordan
12 (15.8%)
Bank it if it is not Darius
9 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: I need a recruiting update...  (Read 5334 times)

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
I need a recruiting update...
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:29:34 PM »
Does anyone have an idea when we might hear something about another signing for 2009/2010?  From other posts here I've heard we're on the trail after Glenn Bryant, DeAndre Kane, and possibly Darius Smith.  I can never get enough recruiting news.  The end of the season has made me anxious for next year.

Anyone want to rehash who they would rather have?  If not Smith I would be in the camp of Glenn Bryant.  I'll take length and athleticism all day and figure out who brings up the ball later.  Thoughts?

nyg

• All American
Re: I need a recruiting update...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
Type in names, hit search and there are probably 50 threads on the mentioned recruits.  Also check the WIKI.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
here is an update on Darius Smith

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page39.html

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:16 PM »
here is an update on Darius Smith

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page39.html

Feels good that we're still being mentioned.  Any idea when decisions start to break in this second wave?

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 02:12:59 PM »
Vote above who you would like to see get the next scholarship from Buzz.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

bma725

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 02:16:32 PM »
Where's the vote for wait and see how the coaching carousel turns?  Depending on what happens at UK and the ramifications elsewhere, there could be guys available that I'd value more than Darius Smith.  We just don't know enough yet to say these are the only options.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
I agree with you bma, but at this point I'm not sure Buzz can bet on that and let these guys float to other teams.  I think he's got to push hard for Darius if he can or take one of the other guys in the poll unless he is really planning on just banking it.  It all depends on his plan to turnover the team to his style (i.e. right away or over time).  I suppose he could be planning on doing just what your saying though (wait for the coaching carousel to stop) and see what sticks all while figuring he'll just bank it if he doesn't get a better player than what is available off the ride.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
I agree with you bma, but at this point I'm not sure Buzz can bet on that and let these guys float to other teams.  I think he's got to push hard for Darius if he can or take one of the other guys in the poll unless he is really planning on just banking it.  It all depends on his plan to turnover the team to his style (i.e. right away or over time).  I suppose he could be planning on doing just what your saying though (wait for the coaching carousel to stop) and see what sticks all while figuring he'll just bank it if he doesn't get a better player than what is available off the ride.

I think you need to remember who we're talking about here, it's not as if any of these guys are can't miss players.  None would be starters for at least two years, and likely Bryant would never start and would have a limited role his entire career. 

The guys that might become available with the coaching changes are possible program changers, guys with one and done type talent.  I don't know that MU even has a shot with any of them if it happens, but that's a risk you have to be willing to take.  You can't sign guys based on need unless you have so little depth it will kill you.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 03:35:01 PM »
I think you need to remember who we're talking about here, it's not as if any of these guys are can't miss players.  None would be starters for at least two years, and likely Bryant would never start and would have a limited role his entire career. 

The guys that might become available with the coaching changes are possible program changers, guys with one and done type talent.  I don't know that MU even has a shot with any of them if it happens, but that's a risk you have to be willing to take.  You can't sign guys based on need unless you have so little depth it will kill you.

I'm not saying they are can't miss, but this team needs to build depth.  You're right, the guys I listed are not game changers, but they add some nice athletic depth.  Someone like Glenn Bryant could be underrated due to the talent they have at his school.  Those are the types of players a Marquette squad has to take chances on because we aren't going to get the "can't miss" 5-star guys (most likely).  You would hope that the 5th, 6th or 7th recruits wouldn't have to start because that would show there are a lot of weaknesses on the team.

I don't expect to get game changers off the carousel.  These are some pretty promising 3-stars.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 03:51:57 PM »
I'm not saying they are can't miss, but this team needs to build depth.  You're right, the guys I listed are not game changers, but they add some nice athletic depth.  Someone like Glenn Bryant could be underrated due to the talent they have at his school.  Those are the types of players a Marquette squad has to take chances on because we aren't going to get the "can't miss" 5-star guys (most likely).  You would hope that the 5th, 6th or 7th recruits wouldn't have to start because that would show there are a lot of weaknesses on the team.

I don't expect to get game changers off the carousel.  These are some pretty promising 3-stars.

Tying up a scholarship with another 6'7 combo forward isn't exactly smart.  Especially when this one would be less talented than any of the other ones they've got on the roster.  If you watch him play, you'll see a guy that doesn't have many basketball skills, he's just super athletic.  The reason he doesn't get the ball much, isn't because of the talent around him, it's because he's just not that good with it. That's not what this team needs.

There's going to be a lot of guys out there both in terms of released recruits and transfers from other schools that might be much better fits.  To take someone just so you don't get left out is ridiculous.  Those are the kind of decisions that led to Crean's recruiting problems.  He couldn't stop himself from filling a scholarship with a new recruit instead of just waiting.  That's why we lost out on guys like Mike Cook and ended up with Carlton Christian.

Also, given that Buzz has said he won't sign someone just to fill a spot, and MU seems to have cooled on Bryant, that should tell you the coaching staff's thoughts on the guy.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
Tying up a scholarship with another 6'7 combo forward isn't exactly smart.  Especially when this one would be less talented than any of the other ones they've got on the roster.  If you watch him play, you'll see a guy that doesn't have many basketball skills, he's just super athletic.  The reason he doesn't get the ball much, isn't because of the talent around him, it's because he's just not that good with it. That's not what this team needs.

There's going to be a lot of guys out there both in terms of released recruits and transfers from other schools that might be much better fits.  To take someone just so you don't get left out is ridiculous.  Those are the kind of decisions that led to Crean's recruiting problems.  He couldn't stop himself from filling a scholarship with a new recruit instead of just waiting.  That's why we lost out on guys like Mike Cook and ended up with Carlton Christian.

Also, given that Buzz has said he won't sign someone just to fill a spot, and MU seems to have cooled on Bryant, that should tell you the coaching staff's thoughts on the guy.

So what you're saying is you are for banking it for next year because more than likely there won't be a game changer that will slip to us.  I am not against banking the scholarship either.  That might be the best idea given the nice class we have already.  You also wouldn't want like 5 seniors leaving at the same time four years from now.

SWARM!

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 04:15:12 PM »
So what you're saying is you are for banking it for next year because more than likely there won't be a game changer that will slip to us.  I am not against banking the scholarship either.  That might be the best idea given the nice class we have already.  You also wouldn't want like 5 seniors leaving at the same time four years from now.

Buycks comes in as a Junior, Liam a sophomore (thinking optomistically that he can still play basketball).  That still leaves 4 true freshman, but I would not be surprised if Roseboro redshirts.  If that's the case, it wouldn't be as much of a concern.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 07:04:26 AM »
Where's the vote for wait and see how the coaching carousel turns?

+1
That how I voted.  While it's wise for Buzz to keep working the current recruits there may turn out to be an excellent recruit who becomes available when the coaching carousel dust settles.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
Does Buzz know for sure that he will have an available scholarship?

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »

No.  But that has never stopped the internet before.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »

I am willing to bet Buzz has a pretty good idea of what is going to to happen.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 03:36:25 PM »
indubitably.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »

Not to pick on this one comment (because many seem to make it), but what is the fixation with banking scholarships?

What is with the obession with banking scholarships?  Outside of a new coach who was hired late in the spring recruiting cycle, does anybody know the last time a top 25 program banked a scholarship?  I don't see many schools willing to take a chance on having a short bench due to injury, academics, etc.  The only certainty in college basketball is that the banked scholarship will have a line of 0.0 points, 0.0 rebounds, 0.0 assists.  It will be of absolutely zero help.

I believe most major coaches do whatever it takes to fill every rosters slot.  Better to take a chance on a marginal player and have him transfer out rather than see a player that could have helped but you allowed to blow up at another program.  The downside is the player transfers out after one season, which in today's day and age isn't a big deal.  I think the statistic was that only about 50% of D1 players last 4 years.

Which brings me to the 2nd obsession around here--balancing classes.  Why in the world would a coach hamstring himself this coming season based on what might or might not happen by 2013?  Again, 50% of players don't last 4 years.  If there is a good player who could help us next year, Buzz should take him, and not worry about how it affects recruiting for the 2013-2014 season.