collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: ESPN drooling over Lebron....... again  (Read 4223 times)

Aughnanure

• All American
ESPN drooling over Lebron....... again
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090324

Its kind of getting ridiculous since he doesn't lead in a single category this year, but is somehow automatically the clear choice for best player in the universe. The last sentence alsmost makes me puke.

"The conventional wisdom is that James is having a great season, but the reality is much deeper -- he's having what is arguably the greatest individual season in history, and it's time we gave him his due for it."

Time we gave him his due for it? This ESPN writer obviously doesn't ever watch ESPN. When was the last time ESPN had a show without slobbering over James and calling him the savior of the world? Its like that SNL song...everytime James steps on the court ESPN jizzes in their pants.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: ESPN drooling over Lebron....... again
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
Did you actually read the article? The whole point of the article was to refute the people that point out he doesnt lead in a single category this year by pointing out that his minutes are lacking due to the fact that the cavs blow out so many teams.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:33:30 AM »
yes I read it. The whole point of the article was for ESPN to find another way to love James.  I haven't heard anyone arguing that James isn't the best player b/c he doesn't lead in a single category until this (hell, who would guess he doesn't lead in anything?). I meant it only as this article seems pointless and pandering to an audience of already overly enthusiastic James lovers. ESPN covers the MVP race as all but over anyways, its funny cause their coverage is getting to the point of beating a dead horse. Though this is sports, they are supposed to be journalists, but when all they do is cover the same athletes, teams, rivalries, scandals, etc...it equals poor journalism.  I get it, James is good...can we please move on espn for at least a few days.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:09:02 PM »
May be the single most over-exposed athlete in history.....

If I see him throw talc in the air one more time....or see him doing his air camera again.....I'll puke

But, with Favre retired, what are they going to do?

nyg

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
Think this is bad, wait till 2010 when he leaves Cleveland and ends up in New York. 

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:22:23 PM »

If I see him throw talc in the air one more time....

Wasn't/isn't that KG's thing? Why does Lebron get props.

Or does KG just clap over the scorers table after he does it?

Maybe Novak or Diener should start putting a pile on his hand and walk over and blow it in the eyes of the opposing head coach, that would give them some more Sportscenter time.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LON

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 01:30:40 PM »

Maybe Novak or Diener should start putting a pile on his hand and walk over and blow it in the eyes of the opposing head coach, that would give them some more Sportscenter time.

I'm pretty sure Jordan was the first

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 02:11:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure Jordan was the first

My apologies to MJ for my short sighted memory.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 02:19:41 PM »

KG used to do it (probably still does), but he would clap right above the T-wolves radio and TV guys throwing a bunch of it all of the announcers.

Everybody would get a good laugh out of it, because, well, frankly Kevin was the only thing you could smile about with that franchise.

Not sure about MJ, I believe it, but I don't recall it personally.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 12:46:38 PM »
KG used to do it (probably still does), but he would clap right above the T-wolves radio and TV guys throwing a bunch of it all of the announcers.

Everybody would get a good laugh out of it, because, well, frankly Kevin was the only thing you could smile about with that franchise.

Not sure about MJ, I believe it, but I don't recall it personally.

Sorry for not knowing the history......All I know is I have to see it at the beginning of every SC broadcast.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 03:58:44 AM »
thanks for posting this. espn's affair with james (and kobe) is disgusting and i'm sick of seeing him throw chalk in the air and rape the headlines

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 08:26:21 AM »
Ha, as I read the last post, a commercial for Lebron James being on 60 minutes tonight was playing on the TV.  Looks like CBS is getting in on the action too.

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 03:33:45 PM »
why the lebron hate? he is the most entertaining player in the NBA. he wouldnt be on espn if no one like it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 07:51:40 AM »
because of the sour grapes.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 09:58:13 AM »
why the lebron hate? he is the most entertaining player in the NBA. he wouldnt be on espn if no one like it

I don't hate LeBron.  Think he is a great player, seems like a good teammate.  I love the State Farm commercial where his buddy has his car broken into (he makes hilarious faces while he is dancing).

He is just WAY overexposed, as is Peyton Manning and a few others...

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »
I think the hatred is more aimed at ESPN and the ESPN mentality, or at least mine is. Everytime there is a great game, ESPN needs to label it an instant classic or the greatest game ever or have a poll on whether it was the greatest game of all time, or every national champion is the "best" ever. I sick of their dumb-ass lists of greatest this and that, especially since whenever ESPN is talking about 'all-time' they are only talking about the ESPN era. It's as though sports never existed before ESPN.

As far as Lebron having the best season ever. Good god, just off the top of my head I could probably come up with a dozen better. What about the year Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for the season.

Sometimes I long for the days of one nationally televised game a week and  local packages for the hometown teams.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 02:31:25 PM »
As far as Lebron having the best season ever. Good god, just off the top of my head I could probably come up with a dozen better. What about the year Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for the season.

Playing devil's advocate here:  that's one.  Now, off the top of your head, let's hear 11 more.

I'll join in with everyone else and complain about how ESPN over-hypes things to the point of absurdity.  But Lebron really is having a tremendous season.  It's been a lot of fun living here in Cleveland and watching him. 

I suspect that someone might be able to do some research and find a dozen better seasons, but if you can come up with them off the top of your head, you're a basketball encyclopedia.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

RaleighWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »
Well I'm not an encyclopedia. I just know Wilt Chamberlain alone had at least six seasons that were better. One year he averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds a game. He had another year when he averaged over 40 and had about 25 rebounds a game. I think he had a stretch of about four of five other seasons in which he averaged in the high 30s in points and around 25-26 rebounds a game.  He had 4 MVP seasons in that stretch.

Then you have a few of Russell's seasons, not to mention some of the years by Jordan, Bird, Johnson, Moses Malone and Jabbar.

But of course most of that was before the ESPN hype years.

LON

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 04:39:09 PM »
Well I'm not an encyclopedia. I just know Wilt Chamberlain alone had at least six seasons that were better. One year he averaged 50 points and 25 rebounds a game. He had another year when he averaged over 40 and had about 25 rebounds a game. I think he had a stretch of about four of five other seasons in which he averaged in the high 30s in points and around 25-26 rebounds a game.  He had 4 MVP seasons in that stretch.

Then you have a few of Russell's seasons, not to mention some of the years by Jordan, Bird, Johnson, Moses Malone and Jabbar.

But of course most of that was before the ESPN hype years.

Was Wilt putting up those numbers when NBA players weren't allowed to dunk yet?

If so, unreal.

feedback