collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bears @ Packers, Week 1  (Read 4854 times)

DegenerateDish

• All American
Bears @ Packers, Week 1
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »
If you haven't heard by now, Bears @ Packers is the Sunday night NBC primetime opener for week 1 of the '09 season.

I should have posted it earlier, but I had heard that originally this was going to be the Week 2 NBC Sunday night game, until Dallas asked the league for more time for their home opener. Rumor is Washington @ Dallas is the Week 2 Sunday night game.

NFL teams are allowed to ask the league for primetime games, and the Bears and Pack organizations have asked to play one another in primetime the last few seasons. The league prefers matching up the Bears and Pack in primetime either very early or very late in the year.

Also, you may have heard the Pack plays the Lions on Thanksgiving. Don't think it's a coincidence the last few years the Pack have been the NFC opponent. The Lions request the league for the Pack.

Jackson_Downer

• Starter
Re: Bears @ Packers, Week 1
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:44:11 PM »
Is there any way we can request that a team other that the Lions play on Thanksgiving so we might see a good game?
"Nice helmet!"
"Actually, it's not a helmet, it's a hairmet.  You see, it's got extra room in it so you don't mess up your hairdo."
"I'm going to write you a prescription for two testicles, you get it filled whenever."

-Scrubs

MUSig54

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »
Hopefully it'll end up like the Week 1 Sunday night prime time game involving the Bears last year.

Actually, not hopefully. It will.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »
This game will be a lot more interesting with the new Bears QB under center.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5699
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »
Unreal, no pro bowl QB in NFL history in his prime, at the age of 25, has ever been traded. One of the most conservative teams in the NFL goes out and picks him up.

Historic day in Chicago Bears history. A lifetime of mediocre/poor QB play gets resolved.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
Unreal, no pro bowl QB in NFL history in his prime, at the age of 25, has ever been traded. One of the most conservative teams in the NFL goes out and picks him up.

Historic day in Chicago Bears history. A lifetime of mediocre/poor QB play gets resolved.

Looks to be a pretty good trade for the Bears but two #1s definitely is a lot to give up for a qb with a lifetime record of 17-20 and a very questionable attitude/maturity level.  They also need to find somebody for him to throw the ball to.  Hester can run deep but I don't think he will be a guy who can catch 70-80 balls for 1,000 yards, of course maybe he'll develop into that guy with Cutler at the helm.  It will be definitely be very interesting to see happens.  Personally, I think he's going to be a good qb if he keeps his head on straight.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 06:10:36 PM »
And when will they address their aging/overrated defense and non-existent receiving corps??

In the 2011 draft?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 06:19:06 PM »
By far they addressed their biggest need. Pro Bowl QB's don't grow on trees, Cutler instantly makes that offense much more dynamic and better. Forte, Olsen, Hester become much better weapons. They'll take a WR in either the second or third round this year. What this trade does is really put the Bears in a position to be good this year, then stay consistently good going forward. Chicago is a much more attractive spot for free agent wideouts now.

I'm not saying they win the North this year, but solving this position for the next 10 years is huge. Best part is Cutler has 3 years left on his rookie deal. That's a huge factor here as well.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 06:41:33 PM »
Looks to be a pretty good trade for the Bears but two #1s definitely is a lot to give up for a qb with a lifetime record of 17-20 and a very questionable attitude/maturity level. 

Cutler is 17-20 as the Broncos' starter, a record that's misleading given a Denver defense that's been in disarray the last few seasons. He's an impressive 13-1 when the Broncos hold an opponent to 21 points or less.

Perfect for the NFC Norris Division.

And he has his college receiver.....

He set the Southeastern Conference record for career receptions with 236.
He has totaled more receptions than any other Southeastern Conference receiver after two years.
He set the school record with 223 receiving yards against the Richmond Spiders in the Commodores' 2007 opening season win.
He is the first ever SEC receiver to record 75 receptions in three different seasons
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:00:11 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 07:59:31 PM »
And when will they address their aging/overrated defense and non-existent receiving corps??

In the 2011 draft?

There is more than one round in the NFL Draft.  Jerry Angleo's track record of first round picks isn't exactly stellar, but his draft picks in the subsequent rounds usually turn out pretty well.

Oh yeah...they'll have a new LT blocking the Pro Bowl QB's blindside as well.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/04/daily_double_bears_get_orlando.html
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 03:02:51 AM »
There is more than one round in the NFL Draft.  Jerry Angleo's track record of first round picks isn't exactly stellar, but his draft picks in the subsequent rounds usually turn out pretty well.

Oh yeah...they'll have a new LT blocking the Pro Bowl QB's blindside as well.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/04/daily_double_bears_get_orlando.html

I hope you're not excited about Orlando Pace.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 08:09:16 AM »

A 33 year old-7 time Pro Bowler....why be excited?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 08:31:11 AM »

He may no longer be in his prime, but he is way ahead of anything else the Bears had.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
By far they addressed their biggest need. Pro Bowl QB's don't grow on trees, Cutler instantly makes that offense much more dynamic and better. Forte, Olsen, Hester become much better weapons. They'll take a WR in either the second or third round this year. What this trade does is really put the Bears in a position to be good this year, then stay consistently good going forward. Chicago is a much more attractive spot for free agent wideouts now.

I'm not saying they win the North this year, but solving this position for the next 10 years is huge. Best part is Cutler has 3 years left on his rookie deal. That's a huge factor here as well.

yeah super attractive, they have a knowledgable offensive coordinator who is really going to unleash this top notch offense!!

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 08:48:54 AM »
Cutler is going to be the most paid backup in NFL History... isn't Rex still Lovie's QB?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 12:13:07 PM »
yeah super attractive, they have a knowledgable offensive coordinator who is really going to unleash this top notch offense!!

I like this one, especially that it's in teal.

An offensive coordinator who when given a solid option at quarterback has done a very good job. '95 Bears offense was coordinated by Turener, and set marks for points in a season (fifth most in team history), passing yards per game (most in team history), most touchdown passes in team history.

Nice try though.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 12:15:06 PM »
I like this one, especially that it's in teal.

An offensive coordinator who when given a solid option at quarterback has done a very good job. '95 Bears offense was coordinated by Turener, and set marks for points in a season (fifth most in team history), passing yards per game (most in team history), most touchdown passes in team history.

Nice try though.

The real question is, with Al Harris demolishes Devin Hester within the 5 yard box for the umpteenth time and knocks him clear off his route, who will Cutler throw to? Rasheid Davis?

Granted, that Olsen fella is pretty solid....

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
The real question is, with Al Harris demolishes Devin Hester within the 5 yard box for the umpteenth time and knocks him clear off his route, who will Cutler throw to? Rasheid Davis?

Granted, that Olsen fella is pretty solid....

we all know the bears need a wr.  But if you think that is going to stop me from being excited about the next DECADE of football you are out of your skull.  I know that packer fans are spoiled by having farve and then a replacement who was projected as a top 10 pick fall to them and develop under farve, but it's not that easy to find qb's.  I don't care if we go 8-8 this year because we don't have a wr, i'm now excited about the next 10 years.  I've NEVER had that feeling as a bears fan before.  There are ton's of wr's coming into the league every year, all other problems are easily fixed.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 12:56:04 PM »
we all know the bears need a wr.  But if you think that is going to stop me from being excited about the next DECADE of football you are out of your skull.  I know that packer fans are spoiled by having farve and then a replacement who was projected as a top 10 pick fall to them and develop under farve, but it's not that easy to find qb's.  I don't care if we go 8-8 this year because we don't have a wr, i'm now excited about the next 10 years.  I've NEVER had that feeling as a bears fan before.  There are ton's of wr's coming into the league every year, all other problems are easily fixed.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared...

I'm also a bit biased in thinking that a healthy Packers team is still the most complete team in the division, but things just got a whole lot tighter.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little scared...

I'm also a bit biased in thinking that a healthy Packers team is still the most complete team in the division, but things just got a whole lot tighter.

As a bears fan I'm cautiously optimistic.  I think Cutler will have enough people around him to be moderately successful. (The Tight Ends are good, I think Forte is good, the OL is serviceable...WR still is a huge question mark)  I'm actually concerned about the Defense.  Last year, they looked incredibly old and porous.

That all being said, we'll see what happens.  I agree, I think the conference just got more competitive and I think it also pushes the Lions to really really consider drafting Stafford #1.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
The division is up in the air. I still think the Vikings are the best team, with the Bears and Packers just about dead even and only slightly behind.

The schedules (non division) are very even between the 3 teams. Bears host the Steelers, Cardinals, Eagles, Browns, Rams while having to go to San Fran, Seattle, Atlanta, Cincy, and Baltimore.

Vikes get 49ers, Seahawks, Giants, Ravens, Bengals at home, and go to Cardinals, Steelers, Panthers, Rams, Browns.

Pack get 49ers, Seahawks, Cowboys, Ravens, Bengals at home and go to Cardinals, Steelers, Rams, Bucs, Browns.

feedback