Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gottlieb does it again  (Read 6465 times)

MUSF

• All American
Gottlieb does it again
« on: March 18, 2009, 01:51:21 AM »
DG's radio show picked USU to upset MU.

He has this gimmick where he lets "the show" help him pick games.  He took two calls that said MU wins easily (one from a Syarcuse fan) but he kept referencing a "number" of texts that said USU pulls the upset.  Low and behold, he went with the mysterious text messages, that he never actually quoted, and "the show" picked USU.

I love this guy.  If you don't like MU, then just say it.  Don't hide behind some bogus text messages.  I honestly don't have a problem with analysts that honestly believe we will get beat or are overrated, but Dougie never gives any valid arguments when he is ripping MU.  He just makes vague statements about MU being overrated.

Ridiculous.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
Re: Gottlieb does it again
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
He was also very insulting on Bracketology Sunday night.  Did not even mention MU as he easily had Mizzou coming out of our bracket.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:24:12 AM »
He's a pud with big ears, lets prove him wrong.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »
It is conceivable that maybe he just doesn't think our basketball team this year is that good?  As an analyst isn't it his job to actually form opinions, some of which will not be agreeable to a particular fan base.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't hate Marquette, seeing as how he almost attended the school.  He spent part of his childhood in Whitefish Bay, and his father and Mike Deane were/are close. 

I could care less if people don't like Doug Gottlieb, but the most annoying things in sports are:
1.  Teams/fan bases complaining about lack of respect
2.  Always believing your team gets screwed by officials
3.  Len Elmore
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 07:40:43 AM by Marquette_g »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 07:43:27 AM »
I couldn't care less if people don't like Doug Gottlieb, but the most annoying things in sports are:
1.  Teams/fan bases complaining about lack of respect
2.  Always believing your team gets screwed by officials
3. Fans who tell other fans what to believe, say and write

Fixed

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:48:34 AM »
Pakuni,

I'm not really sure how I was telling anyone what to believe, say or write.  I certainly could have worded the post more personally that to me the most annoying things are...

Either way, I get tired of reading the the "we get no respect" posts.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 07:57:44 AM »
Is every analyist supposed to like Marquette?  Do you guys hate every analyst who doesnt?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:01:06 AM by GOMU1104 »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 07:59:27 AM »
I'd rather have people say we won't win and prove them wrong versus the opposite.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
I wonder what the halftime entertainment will be in Boise.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
He did say on Sunday while talking about Louisville that they didnt have to play at Marquette in one of the toughest venues in college basketball. While he may not praise the team all the time he still throws us some accolades.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »
I wonder what the halftime entertainment will be in Boise.

I wonder if Boise has their local gymnastics club (ages 2-13) lined up to perform... seeing how these are huge games for them and no one looks at halftime. 

and gottlieb is a douche for many reasons other than not picking MU the other day
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

jt92

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »
MU is only favored by 5...That in itself should raise a flag.  I'm worried and could see an upset here.  US has won 30 games!!!! 

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 08:44:31 AM »
I wonder if Boise has their local gymnastics club (ages 2-13) lined up to perform... seeing how these are huge games for them and no one looks at halftime. 

and gottlieb is a douche for many reasons other than not picking MU the other day
That would be outrageous...the people there deserve better...big time games deserve big time entertainment.

Gottlieb is lucky to have a job....I don't know why he continues to garner more and more airtime.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 08:57:39 AM »
MU is only favored by 5...That in itself should raise a flag.  I'm worried and could see an upset here.  US has won 30 games!!!! 

It's almost as if Vegas is trying to entice people to take USU and the points, which is likely since they are the "sexy"(eh, I hate that terminology) upset pick.  I took MU -4.5.

Yes 30 wins is impressive in any conference, and they would probably win it all if they didn't have to play Memphis and their 31 wins.   ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 09:34:30 AM »
i personally beleive Mu will win handily, and if the analysts are all so stupid then they will claerly look stupid on this one.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 09:42:22 AM »
Who cares.  No one is really giving this team any respect.  Not Gottlieb. Not Vitale. Not Bilas.  And can anyone really blame them?  We haven't done anything other than beat St. Johns since DJ went down.  Yea I know we played against the best of the best but we still lost. 

Its up to the players and the coaching staff to prove them wrong.  I think they will and if we make it to the sweet 16 we will be treated like Cinderella and everyone will gush over us and then still pick us to lose to Memphis but still everyone in America except Memphis will be cheering for us to win.  So its all GOOD!!!!!

LON

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »

It's almost as if Vegas is trying to entice people to take USU and the points, which is likely since they are the "sexy"(eh, I hate that terminology) upset pick.  I took MU -4.5.

Yes 30 wins is impressive in any conference, and they would probably win it all if they didn't have to play Memphis and their 31 wins.   ;)

It's exactly what they're doing...the whole point is to get equal betting on each side.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:02 AM »
Pakuni,

I'm not really sure how I was telling anyone what to believe, say or write.  I certainly could have worded the post more personally that to me the most annoying things are...

Either way, I get tired of reading the the "we get no respect" posts.

In hindsight, my post was pretty rude, so I apologize for that.

That said, as annoyed as you get with people complaing about the refs, analysts, etc.  ... that's how annoyed I get with posts that say other fans shouldn't complain about the refs, analysts, etc.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
I guess im in in the minority. I like Gottlieb. Homer has had him on his show and he always comes accross as personable and informed.

I heard Jay Bilas on the radio once and he laughed about people getting all worked up about who they picked to win the games. He basically said "Why would people get upset....its not like we know who will win. We don't have a clue"

He might very well think Utah State is going to win or it could be because these guys are encouraged to pick an upset or 2.

Either way it doesn't bother me one bit.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 11:42:03 AM »
I remember driving to a friend's house to watch the UConn game, and Gottleib was on the radio picking MU to pull the upset.  I don't think he has an anti-MU bias.  I don't think he really cares one way or another.  A 30-win team with a lucky home game in the dance is a natural upset pick.  Not that I'm telling you how to think or nothing.

LON

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:44:08 AM »
I remember driving to a friend's house to watch the UConn game, and Gottleib was on the radio picking MU to pull the upset.  I don't think he has an anti-MU bias.  I don't think he really cares one way or another.  A 30-win team with a lucky home game in the dance is a natural upset pick.  Not that I'm telling you how to think or nothing.

In Communist Russia, brackets pick you!

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:50 AM »
He was also very insulting on Bracketology Sunday night.  Did not even mention MU as he easily had Mizzou coming out of our bracket.

You guys don't get it. We have not executed. Why is anyone shocked we are getting picked to lose? Give me a break.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 01:30:03 PM »
Just watching Sportscenter and he said that his player to watch is Ben Woodside from NDSU.  He said that he is from Minneapolis and playing at home.  Woodside is from Albert Lea which is 100 miles from Minneapolis.  It is like saying that someone from Milwaukee is from Chicago.  What an idiot.

P.S.  He also mentioned that the 26 year old 'Gody clone was going to wreak havoc on the Warriors.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 01:39:24 PM »
You guys don't get it. We have not executed. Why is anyone shocked we are getting picked to lose? Give me a break.

Have not executed???  Do you even watch the games? 
1. We were down by 3 with 26 seconds left to play against the #1 team in this tournament on their own court.
2. We took one of the hottest teams in the country to OT.
3. We took another 3 to the last play of the game in the BET tournament.

So I guess I have to apologize if I think we will at least be competitive against another 3 seed.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »
I guess im in in the minority. I like Gottlieb.

You will always feel like you are in the minority when you like someone, that is beacuse people who hate them are louder.  I don't really have an opinion on him, but i think hating people for not picking your team is about as dumb as you can get.

feedback