Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Poll:  What Will MU Be Seeded?

3 or better
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
4 (3.7%)
37 (33.9%)
45 (41.3%)
17 (15.6%)
9 or worse
6 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Author Topic: Poll: What Will MU Be Seeded?  (Read 5503 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Poll: What Will MU Be Seeded?
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
Our 5-7 final 12 game record and 1-5 since the loss of DJ, need for p/c conference balance, and others in the BE peaking is gonna cost us dearly.   A 8th seed seems right in the selection committee's eyes.  Every other team has their story.  Ours isn't that compelling.  

+1.  Enough with the excuses for losing.  The committee sees the 1-5.  They won't reward a team for losing, because a good team has to be able to pull one or two of those games out even if they aren't the overall better team.  Saying two of our best players shot poorly is another excuse, to which the committee says "they must not be very good then".  

Here is a question:  With the talent of this team and the incredibly tough schedule we ended with, can being underseeded a good thing?  See Nova last year.  Most of our bad match-ups are with BE teams, who we won't see for a couple of rounds. 

It's very possible.  As a 12 last year, Nova had to beat a 5 and a 4.  A 7 seed has to beat a 10 and a 2.  If your team is talented enough, it's a blessing to be underseeded and have to beat two mid-level tournament teams rather than one average and one elite team.  Unfortunately, our underseeding is likely to cause us to play an 8/9 and a 1, in which case we may have wished to have been given an even worse seed.  There's also the "deja vu" matchup of being a 7 seed and running into Oklahoma, which with two brothers, one better than the other will resemble last year's Standford, i.e. a nightmare matchup.

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »
I think a 7 is the best we can hope for.  I abhor the fact that Illinois is at a 6 in Lunardi's latest; the Big 10 blows not matter what RPI says (no teams have good wins outside of their own conference) but with DJ's injury plus our huge skid I think that a 7 is our ceiling.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »
Here is a question:  With the talent of this team and the incredibly tough schedule we ended with, can being underseeded a good thing?  See Nova last year.  Most of our bad match-ups are with BE teams, who we won't see for a couple of rounds. 

It completely depends on how the bracket shakes out.

It's all about match-ups.

Pardner

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »
Thinking and hearing more...I am more convinced that our seed and where we'll go will be influenced more by those BET teams ahead of us.  Having three BET teams with strong seeds moves us in a different spot....and add in Nova, SU and WV...and the possibilities of where we will get slotted are closing.  Seeding becomes affected as we are in the murky middle.

Pardner

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »

It's all about match-ups.

That's exactly my point, the teams we don't match up well against (big and quick) are mostly in the BE (ex UNC and Okla)...and the NCAA typically won't slot conference teams against each other until the third game.  I am guessing MSU as a 2 seed would not be looking forward to playing MU in the second round.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 01:50:33 PM »
That's exactly my point, the teams we don't match up well against (big and quick) are mostly in the BE (ex UNC and Okla)...and the NCAA typically won't slot conference teams against each other until the third game.  I am guessing MSU as a 2 seed would not be looking forward to playing MU in the second round.

I agree completely but it is a complete crap shoot at that point.  We won't face a BE team regardless of seed so I'm not sure what seed has to do with that.  You're right though, I'd take a match-up with a team like Duke or MSU but it is very difficult to speculate on match-ups based on seeding.  It worked out well for Nova last year but it just as easily could have gone the other way. 

At this point we just roll the dice and hope we get lucky.

I just wish there was some way we could get Kentucky into the tournament.  That's one win you can bank on every year. :)

jfmu

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 04:35:37 PM »
Im getting so anxious for the show to start...hopin for that 6

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »
We are a six seed in the west.  Just like the weekly ranking poll, this crowd is again WAY too pessimistic.