Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Anybody going to the MU-DePaul game?  (Read 4811 times)

ozmetal71

• Team Captain
Anybody going to the MU-DePaul game?
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:37:18 PM »
You can still get tickets in the lower bowl of the Allstate arena as of yesterday. 

I still can't believe that ESPN featured that school for "Student Spirit Week"....what a joke.  I'm sure that all 12 of the DePaul students in attendance were proud.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
Re: Anybody going to the MU-DePaul game?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 12:41:51 PM »
i'll be there.  flying in for that game and then sticking around for the louisville and nova games that weekend in milwaukee.  it's gonna be awesome...

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
That was a joke that DePaul was sponsored for the school spirit week.  They probably have one of the lowest attendence records of any BE school which is due to the relative lack of success of its program and the distance between the Allstate Arena and its campus.  But blame ESPN for creating a nickname for every week and then trying to fits its games under that nickname.  The chompers at Louisville was ridiculous.  UL has a huge following, but I've watched Louisville games for years and I never heard about the chompers until that game.  My guess is that you won't hear of them again until next year when ESPN goes to a fraternity house and rounds up 12 kids ro so and tells them if they come up with some idea, no matter how inane, they will end up on TV throughout the night.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 05:24:23 PM »
I'd be going if it wasn't in the middle of the week and I didn't have class (and a quiz) at 9 AM the next day  :-\

Is there anyway we could get the MU-Depaul game scheduled on the weekend? That would be awesome for students and fans of both schools - it would allow more of us to come out.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 05:32:11 PM »
dude when i was going there i made the drive down to games at depaul.  it's not a bad trip, and you can study in the car ride.  do it...

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:47:15 PM »
I will be there. Saturday, after several random seaches, TicketMaster somehow came up with 3 tickets, 3rd row off the floor, so I grabbed them up quick.

Anyone know if there will be student busses going down there, like they did last year??

ben8787

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:58:03 PM »
They had student buses from last year's game at DePaul?  I must have missed that.  It would be awesome if they do it again.

State

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 06:04:34 PM »
dude when i was going there i made the drive down to games at depaul.  it's not a bad trip, and you can study in the car ride.  do it...

I never took to the 'when I was in college' talk that goes on here...

...different strokes for different folks.  If the kids has a quiz that next morning and feels that going to a game will hurt his chances of doing well on the quiz, then I say--stay in and study, go to office hours, get all the help you need.

Best of luck on your quiz chucken and remember rule #1 of the board "be as neutral and pro-MU about everything or you'll get blasted by someone"...

Don't believe me....just watch!!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 06:21:41 PM by State »

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:31:58 PM »
state i was obviously just giving the kid some crap.  hence the "do it" line from starsky and hutch, although i admit that was maybe an obscure reference.  regardless, of course do what you need to do to succeed in college.  i was just always fond of killing 2 birds with one stone.  in this case, i would make the drive with some friends, and spend the approximately 3 hr ride (total) getting my studying in.  i hardly feel like i was "blasting" the kid...

MonsterWebWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 09:18:13 PM »
I will be going to the game with Djgoldenboy and a couple other friends.  We'll be sitting in row A on the floor proudly wearing our gold and leading all the "This Is Our House" chants during the game.  I highly encourage all students to attend the game if they don't have anything big going on the next morning.  It's easily the most raucous and fun crowd of the year on the road, even more raucous than most home games, and it's an incredibly awesome feeling when you're drowning out the DePaul fans and taking over their own arena.  I remember one year there was gold littered all throughout the DePaul student section and they screamed and shouted throughout the game annoying so many DePaul students, but in the end it was the DePaul students who ended up getting kicked out of their own student section.  Haha.  I was loving it.  I live in Chicago, go to all of MU'S Big East home games, but even if I lived in Milwaukee, this would still be one of my favorite games to go to every year.
"We need to get back to eating hamburgers."  - Buzz Williams

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 09:37:31 PM »
http://gomarquette.cstv.com/bluegold-fund/travel.html

Go here to reserve a spot on the Blue and Gold fund trip.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 09:52:43 PM »
I drive down w/spousal unit and another couple every other year (or whenever we play there), and have yet to get decent tickets..., this point system for season ticket hldrs is okay, except that we get crappy seats allotted to MU by DePaul.  I'm told the only lower level seats will be players family and such (I assume Dick and Donna Strong). 
How badly did ticket master stab you for the 3rd row seats?   

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 10:24:33 PM »
Section 7, on the baseline, 3rd row, 15 bucks a piece plus shipping of 5.

Went last year, bought tickets about a week before in the corner, about 20 rows up with no hassles at all.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 10:35:06 PM »
wow. ticket solutions has higher corner (104) seats for $40/per plus fee and I thought that wasn't bad.

Sweenz

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »
I will be there, I got them as soon as they went on sale. I work in Chicago at LaSalle, and am bringing one of my friends that went to UCONN... I can't wait to see the sea of Gold, and show him a thing about MU Spirit at an away game. Hopefully rub it in that UCONN has a losing record while MU is on its way to a top 3 finish.

This is my first time going to the game in Chicago, will MU fans outnumber Depaul? Have they come close in the past? I would think it would be close with the short drive, and the number of MU grads in Chicago, and with Depaul having crappy fans.

herboturbo

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 12:35:57 AM »
Last year was the first time in my recent memory that Depaul fans might have outnumbered MU games at the game
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 10:36:40 AM »
that's ok.. you can still start the "This is our house" chant  ;D
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 12:43:36 PM »
It was on a Saturday a few years back...that was the notorous "UHaul" trip some friends and I took.  I'll leave out the details but some parts of it were.

1 sober driver.
1 keg of beer.
1 Uhaul truck.
15-20 die hard MU fans.
1 30 minute ride to the All State.

Put them all together and you have a REALLY good time.

I agree though, this one should be a weekend game EVERY year.  The last 4 yrs I have gone, MU for the most part has equalled or outnumbered Depaul (during D Wade's last year it was ridiculous)...last year was probably the least MU fans, and we still gave them a good run for their money numbers wise.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:47:03 PM by Djgoldnboy »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
D Wade's junior year, we outnumbered them nearly 2-1.  Man it was fun watching them cry.  Nice reception after the game, too, as I remember.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MilTown

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »
I haven't missed the game at DePaul since returning to Chicago after graduation in 99. This year will be no exception. I noticed a little shift in the crowd make up last year. I think the switch to weeknight game may have something to do with it. It's a real pain to get to the Allstate on a weeknight for many in the area. The All State as a whole was pretty empty last year. Let's change that this year.

Djgoldnboy

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2007, 02:16:04 PM »
D Wade's junior year, we outnumbered them nearly 2-1.  Man it was fun watching them cry.  Nice reception after the game, too, as I remember.

Yeah and the media down here was touting the game the next day about the high attendance (I think it set some kind of record that season, or largest crowd in a few seasons), failing to mention that 2/3 of it was MU fans.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 03:14:33 PM »
Last year was the first time in a long time that MU didn't have the majority of fans. The most amazing take over of a stadium I saw was about 15 years ago at a DePaul game. Louisville bused in an incredible amount of passionate fans. They had cheers going from behind one basket to the other. It was amazing.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2007, 03:37:30 PM »

I never took to the 'when I was in college' talk that goes on here...

...different strokes for different folks.  If the kids has a quiz that next morning and feels that going to a game will hurt his chances of doing well on the quiz, then I say--stay in and study, go to office hours, get all the help you need.

Best of luck on your quiz chucken and remember rule #1 of the board "be as neutral and pro-MU about everything or you'll get blasted by someone"...

Don't believe me....just watch!!

Thanks for the luck... I will need it!

BTW, I don't think he was blasting me or anything... I would actually consider studying in the car. Oh well, maybe another time...

feedback