Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We are up 31 with 12 minutes left...when do we rest the guys?  (Read 4860 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: We are up 31 with 12 minutes left...when do we rest the guys?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 05:17:31 PM »
Carlton Christian got the Kevin Menard treatment.
Though, as a good a kid as he seemed, I'm not sure there was any other way to treat Menard.

No, Kevin Menard got the Krunti Hester treatment. 

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 05:39:58 PM »
So you don't think pressing with 3-4 minutes to go was a bit overkill today? Besides the fact I don't think its a very classy move, which if thats how you want to do things you can but what comes around goes around. However wouldn't you want to rest your starters for the rest of the tourney? What good does it have them running around when its not necessary or to get them hurt.
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 05:54:29 PM »
However wouldn't you want to rest your starters for the rest of the tourney?

Despite what some people are saying in this thread.  We did rest our starters a LOT in this game.  At least compared to usual.  Watching the game, Buzz took out all his starters as soon as Norm took out his starters.

I think that's fair.

As for pressing.  That's just how we play.  I don't think the guys would know how to play D if Buzz told them to do something else.  Another thing to keep in mind on defense, is that the previous 5 games (including Gtown - despite the fact we won), Marquette was absolutely getting torched on defense.  I'm sure buzz wanted to get that corrected.

That said, I can understand why you'd be frustrated with the moves (starters/press).  Marquette has been on the receiving end of several blowouts, and I'm never happy that the other team just keeps coming at us. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 08:09:32 PM »
Wasn't Carlton C the first guy to say "Coach, I'm leaving after the season."  so Crean didn't play him.  -- Although I do remember him getting in to the game vs. SMU up in Green Bay.

.. Menard, afaik .. didn't drop the bomb during the season, did he?

feedback