Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cords/Traitor  (Read 8136 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: Cords/Traitor
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 08:52:42 AM »
Remember, IU fired a coach who got to the title game. 

That had more to do with his race, and who he replaced than his coaching abilities.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 09:00:16 AM »
That had more to do with his race, and who he replaced than his coaching abilities.

You're probably right, in fact I know you're right...though it does show, it's not that enlightened of a crowd down there.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 10:42:51 AM »
Anyone that thinks TC is going to fail at IU is not taking emotion out of the mix. I pray that the current MU coach has the same success at MU that TC did. If you are an outsider looking in who would you rather be professionally:
TC@IU
or
Buzz@MU

In my opinion it is a no brainer. TC has a much easier job ahead of him moving forward. I remember how fast the BC emptied out when we sucked and the pressure is on Buzz. I will say again I think Buzz is in over his head at MU.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 10:57:43 AM »
Tom Crean is a very good coach for a school like MU (where I differ from many is I don't think he walks on water) that being said, I think he is an average coach for IU expectations.  Assuming his recruiting improves b/c of the locale, I still think his absolute ineptness in-game will hurt him. 

This makes no sense to me at all.  He was able to win here, do you not remeber all the W's or being consistenly ranked?  He will be able to recruit better players, the kind he couldn't get to come here for whatever reason.  Thus he will have a more talented team in a weaker conference, why wouldn't he win a title?  Have you looked at his recruiting class?  He has better players coming in at the 4 and 5 coming in than he ever got to come to MU.  
6'8 SF http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=43737
6'11 C http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=42955
6'8 PF http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=54840
6'5 SG http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=53944

All graded 90 or better, all in the top 100.  Apperently the only thing crean ever did right at MU was find one diamond in the rough and he ended up with a final four showing. Now he can go to the diamond mine and get what he wants.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 11:18:46 AM »
I have no doubt his recruiting will be significantly improved.  And I have great respect for what he did for MU hoops.  No small feat at all.  I also greatly respect his unmatched work ethic and game prep.  What I think will catch up with him in the high stakes games will be his in-game coaching. 

This isn't emotion talking, I harbor no ill will for him leaving.  We got 9 years out of him.  Probably 4 more than a program like ours normally gets.  It was a good run, for us.  IU is a different animal and just b/c you have the horses doesn't mean you win it all.  And that's what matters down there.  They don't hang banners for winning the CBE.  He could go to three Elite 8s in a row and be on the hot seat. 

Do you all think he'll exceed what Tubby did at UK?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Archie

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »
Maybe Crean could not get the recruits even after a FF run because the word was out that he was looking elsewhere and wouldn't be there for the recruits' 4 years or they just plain did not trust him when he said he would stay.    Calipari must be more trustworthy  ::) He's reloading just fine.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »
This is an understatement - "Capobianco has a tendency to drift to the perimeter and hoist up jumpers and he does his best work when he stays around the rim, though he needs to continue to improve his post moves."

I've seen the guy play 3 times - never would have started for MU, if Maymon and Williams are anywhere near as advertised.  Not the banger inside that they portray.  Terrible 3-pt percentage, although nice arc on shot - usually comes up short.  He would be completely overmatched and out of place in the Big East.  This guy was not a loss for MU.

I haven't seen their other recruits play, but is this IU class getting a little more pub than deserved just because Tan Tommy and his marketing machine took over?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »
Anyone that thinks TC is going to fail at IU is not taking emotion out of the mix. I pray that the current MU coach has the same success at MU that TC did. If you are an outsider looking in who would you rather be professionally:
TC@IU
or
Buzz@MU

In my opinion it is a no brainer. TC has a much easier job ahead of him moving forward. I remember how fast the BC emptied out when we sucked and the pressure is on Buzz. I will say again I think Buzz is in over his head at MU.

TC is going to get it done at IU. He has great classes lined up and the only people who don't think he will be successful post on MU boards. Around the country, TC is well regarded.

I agree on Buzz. The next two years will tell the tale. If his guys are a bust, MU will crater in the BE. He got by on TC's guys this year. Next year is a COMPLETELY different story.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 12:26:28 AM »
Tom Crean is a very good coach for a school like MU (where I differ from many is I don't think he walks on water) that being said, I think he is an average coach for IU expectations.  Assuming his recruiting improves b/c of the locale, I still think his absolute ineptness in-game will hurt him. 

Yes, but Mike Davis' problem is that he went to the title game as an interim coach.  Crean goes from ground zero which means he has nowhere to go but up.  As such, the expectations are so different. 

Davis always had to justify how he got there with someone else's players.  Crean won't have to do that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 08:28:14 AM »
You're probably right, in fact I know you're right...though it does show, it's not that enlightened of a crowd down there.

Actually you are both wrong.  His record slipped every year he was at IU.  And I believe has been slipping since he's been at UAB.

Furthermore, he was replaced by a black coach.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 08:46:46 AM »

Actually you are both wrong.  His record slipped every year he was at IU.  And I believe has been slipping since he's been at UAB.

Furthermore, he was replaced by a black coach.

Kelvin Sampson = Native American

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 09:16:33 AM »
Kelvin Sampson = Native African American
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
Kelvin Sampson = Native American

Well, first as Brew City said, he's half Native American.  So your point is that the fine IU folk don't mind their black coaches as long as they aren't too black?

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »
Kelvin Sampson = douchebag, regardless of heritage
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:39 AM »
Therefore Crean=douchebag by association
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 10:03:31 AM »
Kelvin Sampson = Native African American

Native American from Africa???  Does not compute.   ;)
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 10:04:14 AM »
Did TC overachieve at 6-25 (1-17 in conferference) this year? I think a true tier 1 coach could have beaten Lipscomb College in Bloomington so I'll say no.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 11:42:50 AM »
Where are people getting this Sampson is 1/2 black stuff?  Every story I've read is that he's Native American.

feedback