Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A thread on James of a different nature...  (Read 4110 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
A thread on James of a different nature...
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »
I looked in the thread list, but didn't see this topic...

How on earth does James not have one of the following reactions when the play by play guy called him Dominique Jones at least 3 times during the interview?

A. Take off the Headset and go back to the bench
B. slap him
C. Correct him

It has to be frustrating at least on some level that the guy interviewing you can't even get your name right.

Oh and the assist that Cubillan had during that interview was amazing, even though the play by play guy initially credited Wes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:02:57 PM by MU_B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Eye

• All American
Re: A thread on James of a different nature...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:56:18 PM »
That assist by DC was extremely encouraging, and gives me hope that MU will get something closer to the freshman/sophomore DC than the junior DC over the rest of the season.
GO WARRIORS!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »
Sadly, I think he pronounces his first name like Dominique

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:00:29 PM »
That assist by DC was extremely encouraging, and gives me hope that MU will get something closer to the freshman/sophomore DC than the junior DC over the rest of the season.

I thought the same thing when I saw that assist.  Shortly thereafter, David went back to the bench, not to be seen for the remainder of the game.... :(

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:08:28 PM »
I thought the same thing when I saw that assist.  Shortly thereafter, David went back to the bench, not to be seen for the remainder of the game.... :(

He went back to the bench because he isn't even close to any kind of offensive threat.  I don't know if it is Buzz telling him not to shoot or the injuries but there have been several times this year that he has had open looks and passed them up.  He has dribbled out of open 3 looks a couple times this year.  Sad.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »
Sadly, I think he pronounces his first name like Dominique

That is how he pronounces his first name. I was at the game so I didn't hear while he was being interviewed but I think the initial poster's point was moreso the calling him Jones instead of James.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »
As one who thought Otule, Fulce and Hazel deserve(d) a couple of minutes before the NC2As to prove definitively that they can't even be counted on for a couple of fouls per game in game situations, Cubillan's assist was the best thing I saw out of anybody outside of the top 6 Saturday. If Otule was the one of the three Buzz thought deserved a shot in that type of role Saturday, I'm now almost fully convinced that Cubillan's going to have to be the 7th man the rest of the year, and that those other 3 just simply aren't ready. I actually thought those couple minutes Otule played Saturday might have cost MU the game indirectly. MU looked at that point like they had a decent shot to develop a double-digit working margin, but 'cuse came right back and got into the game at that point.
GO WARRIORS!

Eye

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 02:14:30 PM »
Looks to me like Buzz has instructed DC not to shoot, and that Butler has been instructed not to shoot from beyond approximately 16 feet. Also looks to me like that may have been the case for Acker before the DJ injury.
GO WARRIORS!

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 02:26:57 PM »
Looks to me like Buzz has instructed DC not to shoot, and that Butler has been instructed not to shoot from beyond approximately 16 feet. Also looks to me like that may have been the case for Acker before the DJ injury.

Butler has no such restrictions.  He's got the green light, his teammates implore him to shoot....he doesn't have the confidence yet.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »
Butler has no such restrictions.  He's got the green light, his teammates implore him to shoot....he doesn't have the confidence yet.

I keep waiting for him to fire up that first long range shot. Maybe we will see it in the big dance.  He seems to have great form, seems to be able to shoot over guys, and has decent cutting moves to the hoop if he gets his man up in the air.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »
I actually thought those couple minutes Otule played Saturday might have cost MU the game indirectly. MU looked at that point like they had a decent shot to develop a double-digit working margin, but 'cuse came right back and got into the game at that point.

Agree, Otule was a disaster, and was practically the whole reason Syracuse went on that run to get back even.  Blew an easy scoring chance by mishandling a sweet pass, screwed up his defensive assignment each defensive possession he was in, leading to a series of easy lay ins.  He looked more lost than ever.  I think he will be very useful at MU before he is done, but not this season.

I don't want Cubillan to play a minute if he won't/isn't allowed to take a wide open three.  But you're right, if they aren't going to play Hazel, Cubillan (or Fulce) is probably the best bet for 7th man minutes.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:48:41 PM »
I'm waiting too then. At the end of the game against Pittsburgh would have been a fine time to try it, or for DC to take a shot or two, as well. Maybe MU will be hammering Gtown or SJU enough Wednesday that one or both them will get the nerve. Having five guys who are threats to shoot on the floor at all times is something MU seems to me to need desparately right now.
GO WARRIORS!

Eye

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »
I think he will be very useful at MU before he is done, but not this season.

Couldn't agree more on Otule in the big picture. When he was healthy at Midnight Madness, he looked much better than Hazel IMHO.
GO WARRIORS!

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
I'm waiting too then. At the end of the game against Pittsburgh would have been a fine time to try it, or for DC to take a shot or two, as well. Maybe MU will be hammering Gtown or SJU enough Wednesday that one or both them will get the nerve. Having five guys who are threats to shoot on the floor at all times is something MU seems to me to need desparately right now.

I agree with you on this point.  Our half court sets are stagnant at times when the other team is preventing the drive and our guys are refusing to shoot, opting instead to swing the ball around the perimeter a couple of times until someone settles on a less opportune shot.  At this point, we shouldn't be preventing people from taking 3's as long as they are not forced.  What's wrong with a shot or two from cubes or Butler when they comes in and the defense is literally giving it to them?  With our ability to drive to the hoop severly hampered without James, we are gonna live and die by the 3.  We might as well accept that fact and actually take the good looks when they come.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 03:19:26 PM »
saw butler warming up before the cuse game and he was hitting 3's . . . maybe we're playing coy until the NCAAs

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
saw butler warming up before the cuse game and he was hitting 3's . . . maybe we're playing coy until the NCAAs

Shhh.  Secret Weapon!
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
Butler didn't shoot a ton of 3s in JC ball (45 in 29 games) but his average I believe was about 43% - so, I'd say let him rip one!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:03:09 PM by Daniel »

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 09:56:57 PM »
Has DC taken a shot since he helped SH get a back door cover?