Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A Thought on the "Pray" Video  (Read 4775 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
A Thought on the "Pray" Video
« on: March 03, 2009, 04:45:38 PM »
Every time I see the "Pray" video at the games or watch it up online, I can't help but getting chills.  At the same time, though, it seems like it'll be obsolete in its' current form after this season, since many of our current players featured in this video (namely the Seniors) will be gone.  Sure, some may view it basically as a shoe ad brought to life, but it encapsulates the story of what "We Are Marquette" is in a pretty cool way.

So here's my idea:  what about a "remix" of the video for next season, but do it with Marquette legends?  From my count, there's 25 separate dialogue pieces with players (each scholarship player has 2, and Frozena has 1).

If you were to do this, you'd need 12 or 13 "legends" as part of this.  Who would you guys pick? 
The General has taken on a new command.

Coleman

• All American
Re: A Thought on the "Pray" Video
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »
I personally think the video is kinda lame...

I like the beginning but when they say "pray" literally 10 times it loses its touch.

Speaking of videos...does anyone miss that we will rock you vid in the annex with Tom Crean tapping his pen on the bar? Classic!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 04:53:31 PM by ReneeRowarrior »

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
does anyone miss that we will rock you vid in the annex with Tom Crean tapping his pen on the bar? Classic!!!

You forgot the teal color.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
sorry..I'm a newbie...does teal mean sarcastic?

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
Speaking of videos...does anyone miss that we will rock you vid in the annex with Tom Crean tapping his pen on the bar? Classic!!!

Oy....I had the opportunity to be part of that back when they filmed it in 2004.  Fortunately, I was too hung over that day to make it to the Annex in time. 

murocky01

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »
Crean couldn't even keep the beat to the "We will rock you" song.  He was way off.  Man he couldn't do anything right.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:54:26 PM »
I personally think the video is kinda lame...

I like the beginning but when they say "pray" literally 10 times it loses its touch.

+1

One "pray" would have been okay, but then it just get's lame.  Makes me feel like bustin' out my Rosary or something.

MU gimp ONE

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
i personally like the video.  i think james' press conference only drove home the team concept from the video even more.  when the ad came out, i was pumped about the Marquette exposure in a national magazine.  i still have it hanging in my office.
"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments." - Coach Norman Dale

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:44:33 PM »
I really like the "Pray" video. Especially the dramatic turning of the head Dwight gives. I also enjoyed the video that was on the selloutuconn/uconnsoldout website. Whoever was in charge of that stuff this year did an outstanding job compared to the last few years.

romey

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Okay, to get this thread back on track, here are my legends.  I'm not peaking at stats, or wikipedia or anything like that - this is from memory - and I'm an "older" alum.

Butch Lee
Bo Ellis
George Thompson
Jim Chones
Maurice Lucas
Dwyane Wade
Don Kojis
Travis Diener
Earl Tatum
Dean Meminger
Doc Rivers
Jerel McNeal
Tony Smith

That's 13.  I'm sure I'm missing some or will get arguments from some - but hey, that's what the thread is for.

By the way, Don Kojis is the only one I never saw play.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »

Is there a link to that vid (the annex commercial) somewhere? I had totally forgotten about that until you just mentioned it.  When did they last air that? I'm a junior and feel like it was only around my freshman year? I could be wrong, games all blur together
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:28:28 PM by g0lden3agle »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:23:26 PM »
Okay, to get this thread back on track, here are my legends.  I'm not peaking at stats, or wikipedia or anything like that - this is from memory - and I'm an "older" alum.

Butch Lee
Bo Ellis
George Thompson
Jim Chones
Maurice Lucas
Dwyane Wade
Don Kojis
Travis Diener
Earl Tatum
Dean Meminger
Doc Rivers
Jerel McNeal
Tony Smith

That's 13.  I'm sure I'm missing some or will get arguments from some - but hey, that's what the thread is for.

I like it, but I think there's too much concentration on just the 1960s and 1970s in that list, and something like this should acknowledge more of the school's history. 

There's got to be someone from the 1955 Elite Eight team and probably someone from the 1952 NCIT team as well.  Guys like Terry Rand or Rube Schultz belong on any list of MU legends that is put together.  Those are the things that put the school on the map before Al was ever around.

There should probably also be someone from the 1994 Sweet Sixteen team, since those put the school in the news again after the Dukiet years.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 09:42:09 PM by bma725 »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »
McIlvaine.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 08:35:25 PM »
DJ

g0ldmember42

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »
Novak

Jim Sawdust

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
bma725: Mike Moran and Terry Rand?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 09:41:25 PM »
bma725: Mike Moran and Terry Rand?

Got me.  I was going to argue for both of them but decided to go with Schultz instead of Moran because of his influence on the UW-MU rivalry.  I'll go change it.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »
What about Brian Brunkhorst?

If they didn't say Pray 15 times rapid fire it would be a great video. I wish they would have kept doing it for the intro. It's better than the 'Right here right now' video but not as good as streets have no names

Tom Crean tapping his pen and then the rest of the annex getting in on it was a cool promo

Also why don't we have wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men that were out during the intro?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
Is there a link to that vid somewhere? I had totally forgotten about that until you just mentioned it.  When did they last air that? I'm a junior and feel like it was only around my freshman year? I could be wrong, games all blur together

Uhhh the video has only been around this season.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 10:17:26 PM »
Jon Glazer anyone?

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 10:21:41 PM »
Jon Glazer anyone?

John Glaser. 

Or, as he would say, John Glaser!!!!
Ludum habemus.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
Uhhh the video has only been around this season.

I edited my post, I meant the Crean Annex commercial that was in the quote of my post

🏀

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 10:36:11 PM »
John Glaser. 

Or, as he would say, John Glaser!!!!

Maybe I did it on purpose.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 10:45:52 PM »

Butch Lee
Bo Ellis
George Thompson
Jim Chones
Maurice Lucas
Dwyane Wade
Don Kojis
Travis Diener
Earl Tatum
Dean Meminger
Doc Rivers
Jerel McNeal
Tony Smith

I like you're thinking for the most part.  But I think you need to include Hank Raymonds in there, basically since he is, for all-intensive purposes since Al's death, the elder statesman of Marquette basketball.

I'd throw Jimmy Mac in there too if we're looking for someone from the the Sweet 16 years.  And I would still love to find some way to throw DJ in there as well, because although as incredible a career Jerel has had, Dom's been the face of Marquette basketball in the Big East since he showed up on campus.  I just don't know who you drop though.

But I have one more idea to squeeze 2 more in:  the portion of the dialogue where they have "They are called, the Golden Eagles" (Cubillan has this line right now), change it up to this: "They are called Hilltoppers, Warriors, and Golden Eagles".  And now you can squeeze in 2 more legends (for Hilltoppers and Warriors) and bring that up to 15.  Done.  

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »
I edited my post, I meant the Crean Annex commercial that was in the quote of my post

Oh gotcha!  Yeah they still played it up to last season. 

feedback